2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season starts tonight!

I'm somewhat worried about the frontcourt for the first part of the season, what with Elston being out til mid-December with a torn meniscus and Jurkin and Mosquera-Parea suspended for the first 9 games (first game back would be December 15th against Butler, so they'd miss North Carolina and the Legends Classic). Probably going to see some unconventional lineups in games, with Hollowell and Sheehey getting time at the 4, and Jeff Howard actually playing meaningful minutes.

Even without them though, that wouldn't be an excuse in an of itself for losing any of these games, including UNC or UCLA/Georgetown.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
ESPN doing their 24 hour thing?

It's next week but there is actually some decent games on tv tonight.

Anyways, always fun to have to root for your conference because your team sucks, so Go Valley! Creighton has to deal with Tony Mitchell tonight so that's a good test for their defense(which was horrible last year) right from the get go. SIU opens on Monday so the pain starts than.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)
Season starts tonight!

I'm somewhat worried about the frontcourt for the first part of the season, what with Elston being out til mid-December with a torn meniscus and Jurkin and Mosquera-Parea suspended for the first 9 games (first game back would be December 15th against Butler, so they'd miss North Carolina and the Legends Classic). Probably going to see some unconventional lineups in games, with Hollowell and Sheehey getting time at the 4, and Jeff Howard actually playing meaningful minutes.

Even without them though, that wouldn't be an excuse in an of itself for losing any of these games, including UNC or UCLA/Georgetown.

UCLA is the most intriguing team in the country to me this year, their floor is so low and their ceiling is so high imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
UCLA is the most intriguing team in the country to me this year, their floor is so low and their ceiling is so high imo.

Agreed. I could see them completely imploding and being no better than a 7 seed, and I could see them winning the National Championship. I have no idea. If I had to guess though, they'll be a 1 or a 2 seed, but not the #1 overall seed.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Season starts tonight!

Agree with you. Also, Noah Vonleh is in Bloomington this weekend.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
Jenks, I agree with that for the most part.

Realistic prediction: over. 500, make the NIT.

I'm more worried about how we look and grow as the season goes on.

That does seem like a realistic prediction. I don't think it's completely out of the question Illinois makes the NCAA tournament this year, they just might have a problem with an incredibly deep and strong Big Ten. However, if they can win a few good games in conference, that should help them out come selection Sunday.

They have Paul and Richardson and a solid if not spectacular Abrams. I think the Big Ten will get introduced to the offensive skills of Myke Henry too. The question is going to be the bigs and if they will be able to stop anybody.

So yeah, I would be upset if they weren't at least a bubble team. That means 7-9th in the league. Even an average team should be able to hit that mark.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
They have Paul and Richardson and a solid if not spectacular Abrams. I think the Big Ten will get introduced to the offensive skills of Myke Henry too. The question is going to be the bigs and if they will be able to stop anybody.

So yeah, I would be upset if they weren't at least a bubble team. That means 7-9th in the league. Even an average team should be able to hit that mark.

I think they will be better than most think. Groce has the ability to get more out of Paul and Richardson than they have shown.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
I was reading a CBS preview and the author mentioned his favorite incoming freshman recruit in the whole country is Dekker.

Thats why I dont know what to think. Before Gasser went down it was just a matter of what seed and could Wisconsin possibly shock the world and finish ahead of Indiana in the Big 10.

Without Gasser there are just so many questions. There are rumors that Bo Ryan has even been practicing zone a little just because there is no defensive stopper like Gasser. Supposedly Dekker is insanely talented, but with so many back court questions its just hard to tell until you see a game. Im hoping that 1 of Traevon Jackson or George Marshall can be solid.

I am really excited to see Dekker though, Wisconsin doesnt get players with that type of hype.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
That does seem like a realistic prediction. I don't think it's completely out of the question Illinois makes the NCAA tournament this year, they just might have a problem with an incredibly deep and strong Big Ten. However, if they can win a few good games in conference, that should help them out come selection Sunday.

I agree with this. They could greatly improve, but with so many good teams in the league, there is a chance that their record might not be good enough.

If they can have a good non-conference season, get some excitement going and the Hall rockin', hopefully they can get a couple big home wins against the top teams.

Either way, there is no more Bruce Weber, so things are looking up. In Groce We Trust!