2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Stanford is the hardest to get into for an athlete, as you have to be admitted there as a regular student I believe. Not sure if that's changed the last few years.

IIRC, when Matt Lottich went to Stanford in 2000, I heard he had a 26 on the ACT. Basically, they just want you to show that you're reasonably intelligent, but you don't have to be up to their regular admission standards.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
IIRC, when Matt Lottich went to Stanford in 2000, I heard he had a 26 on the ACT. Basically, they just want you to show that you're reasonably intelligent, but you don't have to be up to their regular admission standards.

I know their current star, Dwight Powell, waited until he was accepted their before choosing them.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)

Matt Lottich? That name sounds familiar, wasn't he like a 3-sport superstar? New Trier was it?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Yep, had a very good career at Stanford.

Yeah, then he played overseas some. I think he was first team all-state as a QB, and had a 90+ fastball too. His senior year though (the first year New Trier won a championship in ANY of the Big 3 sports), he couldn't locate it well and New Trier had enough good pitchers that he just played First Base because, surprise surprise, he could hit the crap out of the ball.

The basketball team that year also had Todd Townsend (who later played at Marquette; the Lottichs adopted him [or the Dad was the legal guardian, something like that] after he played his first year or two at Morgan Park); they could have been the only basketball champion in New Trier history, but they ran into Darius Miles and East St. Louis in the quarters.

Twitter is so awesome. I didn't stay up for the game, but this morning just going through my timeline, I got a blow-by-blow recap of all the game action, buffering issues, and fan reactions. Fun stuff.

Illinois may still not be a tourney team, but it seems as if they will be way more fun to watch after the last few years of CorpseBall under Weber.

Still lots of sloppy play for Mizzou on defense. Poor rotations. But I guess that comes with more time together.

But I'm amazed at how much trust Haith already has in Negus Webster-Chan as a frosh. He was putting him at the 1 last night (I'm guessing the Keion Bell at the 1 experiment is over?). Really looking forward to dixon coming back, but I respect Haith sticking to his guns on this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Still lots of sloppy play for Mizzou on defense. Poor rotations. But I guess that comes with more time together.

But I'm amazed at how much trust Haith already has in Negus Webster-Chan as a frosh. He was putting him at the 1 last night (I'm guessing the Keion Bell at the 1 experiment is over?). Really looking forward to dixon coming back, but I respect Haith sticking to his guns on this.

It's hard to say anything about positions and rotations until we see what it looks like when Dixon is back. Bell is a phenomenal athlete, but not much of a basketball player. Hopefully they can find a way to utilize him, but he's not very impressive.