2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
To be fair, Indiana in the modern era was Bobby Knight, but they had a history before that including 2 NCAA titles under Branch McCracken.

Yes, but what is that compared to what Knight did? 12 of the 19 conference titles, 24 of the 36 tourney appearences, 662 wins. I mean, he IS his own program for alot of schools. Man I need to read Season on the brink again.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
It's on him, but you have to understand that IU is IU because of Bobby Knight. Look at his accomplishments vs what the school has done overall. He should have never been treated the way he was. I'm sure a man of his temper and arrogance (not trying to be negative on him I LOVE Bobby knight) has a hard time giving up the frustration at IU.

It's a lot more gray than that. Bobby brought on much of what came to him. I was Knight's biggest fan, but his actions have taken the shine off his star. We could discuss this ad naseum, but I'll just say that both sides were wrong and at this point, the ball is in Knight's court. If he chooses to be pig-headed, that's on him. He was IU in the 70's and 80's, which is in our era, but he is not bigger than IU.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
It's a lot more gray than that. Bobby brought on much of what came to him. I was Knight's biggest fan, but his actions have taken the shine off his star. We could discuss this ad naseum, but I'll just say that both sides were wrong and at this point, the ball is in Knight's court. If he chooses to be pig-headed, that's on him. He was IU in the 70's and 80's, which is in our era, but he is not bigger than IU.

What separates you from PSU fans. Still, I understand his ego being how it is I love that guy. I was big into IU bball because of him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Yes, but what is that compared to what Knight did? 12 of the 19 conference titles, 24 of the 36 tourney appearences, 662 wins. I mean, he IS his own program for alot of schools. Man I need to read Season on the brink again.

Choking a player, refusing to even speak to his boss for more than a year, being borish in general, which got much, much worse when he wasn't winning in the tournament toward the end. Knight is a lot of good things and maybe some of the bad things come from what makes him good, but he's a big baby. It's his world or you don't count. You just don't go through life in a position like his where you alienate yourself from anyone around you that doesn't agree with you. Eventually it will catch up to you and it did.

No other coach would have gotten away with throwing a chair across the floor, assaulting a Puerto Rican cop, etc, etc. at other schools. IU put up with it when he was winning. If you'd like more, here are just a few... Regardless of this post, I do respect many things about him. I just wish he wasn't such an ass.

1. Knight was shown berating an NCAA volunteer at a March 1995 post-game press conference following a 65–60 loss to Missouri in the first round of the NCAA tournament held in Boise, Idaho. The volunteer, Rance Pugmire, informed the press that Knight would not be attending the press conference, when in reality, Knight was running a few minutes late and had planned on attending per NCAA rules. Knight was shown saying: "You've only got two people that are going to tell you I'm not going to be here. One is our SID [sports Information Director], and the other is me. Who the hell told you I wasn't going to be here? I'd like to know. Do you have any idea who it was?...Who?...They were from Indiana, right?...No, they weren't from Indiana, and you didn't get it from anybody from Indiana, did you?...No, I—I'll handle this the way I want to handle it now that I'm here. You (EXPLETIVE) it up to begin with. Now just sit there or leave. I don't give (EXPLETIVE) what you do. Now back to the game."

2. On February 19, 2000, Clarence Doninger, Knight's boss, alleged to have been physically threatened by the coach during a confrontation after a game. This is the AD Knight refused to speak to at all for over a year. I wish I could completely ignore my boss who works in the same building.

3. An IU investigation inquired about an allegation in which Knight berated and physically intimidated a university secretary, once throwing a potted plant in anger, showering her with glass and debris. The University later asked the coach to issue an apology to the secretary.

4. It was alleged that Knight attacked assistant coach Ron Felling, throwing him out of a chair after overhearing him criticizing the basketball program in a phone conversation

5. It was reported (although years after the incident) that Knight choked and punched IU's longtime sports information director, Kit Klingelhoffer, in the 1970s, over a news release that upset the coach

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Don't look now, but the ACC could win this thing. Seems both Illinois and OSU have to win to provide a win for the Big Ten. Can't see Penn St winning without Tim Frazier.

I dont know anything about Penn St basketball but Boston College is absolutely dreadful.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:30 PM)
Don't look now, but the ACC could win this thing. Seems both Illinois and OSU have to win to provide a win for the Big Ten. Can't see Penn St winning without Tim Frazier.

I think all 3 early games were "upsets". Clemson & Wisconsin should have won at home & MSU was supposed to the better team.