2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Eh, Brook Lopez even went 10th overall and he averaged 19 pts, 8 rebs, and 2 blocks a game his sophomore year before coming out. Meyers and Drummond (albeit both raw) didn't go top 5. Hibbert didn't go top 5. There's obviously differences with all those players, but Brook Lopez is the best comparison I could find. Zeller's upside is limited and I don't think he'd go top 5 in good drafts either.

None of those guys were has highly thought and as complete as Zeller. Lopez didn't have near the hype coming out of college.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
None of those guys were has highly thought and as complete as Zeller. Lopez didn't have near the hype coming out of college.

Yes, but he was a 7 footer that could play. You said that was why Zeller would go top 5. I was just showing otherwise. 7 footers with high upside/athleticism along with the ability to play make 7 footers go in the top 5. There are obviously some exceptions (Bogut wasn't that athletic, but he averaged like 20 and 12 his sophomore year and it was a weird draft).

I just don't know who I could compare Zeller to that's successful in the NBA. The guy isn't an anchor on defense and I don't know if he'll be able to do as well on the block in the NBA. I would guess not.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Yes, but he was a 7 footer that could play. You said that was why Zeller would go top 5. I was just showing otherwise. 7 footers with high upside/athleticism along with the ability to play make 7 footers go in the top 5. There are obviously some exceptions (Bogut wasn't that athletic, but he averaged like 20 and 12 his sophomore year and it was a weird draft).

I just don't know who I could compare Zeller to that's successful in the NBA. The guy isn't an anchor on defense and I don't know if he'll be able to do as well on the block in the NBA. I would guess not.

Zeller strikes me as much of a Euro-style big man, than a typical US big man.

Lopez was rated lower than Zeller is now, which is why he wasn't drafted as high. His game wasn't nearly as complete.

I think the big thing most are forgetting about Zeller is his passing. His basketball IQ is unmatched on the floor. He just does the right thing, every time. He dominated one of the best defensive big men seen in college in a long time in Anthony Davis. Scored whenever he seemingly got the ball down low. His skill level is incredible.

Also, he doesn't get nearly as many shots as many of those other guys. He gets mostly less than 10 shots a game because there's so much talent on Indiana. He averages like 26 minutes a game. If he gets 15-20 shots and 35 minutes a game (on a team with less talent), no doubt in my mind he's 25 and 10 every single night.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
I think the big thing most are forgetting about Zeller is his passing. His basketball IQ is unmatched on the floor. He just does the right thing, every time. He dominated one of the best defensive big men seen in college in a long time in Anthony Davis. Scored whenever he seemingly got the ball down low. His skill level is incredible.

Also, he doesn't get nearly as many shots as many of those other guys. He gets mostly less than 10 shots a game because there's so much talent on Indiana. He averages like 26 minutes a game. If he gets 15-20 shots and 35 minutes a game (on a team with less talent), no doubt in my mind he's 25 and 10 every single night.

How do you think he does in the NBA?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)

I don't think he ever becomes a "star", but I think he'll have a very long career racking up good numbers. He's a good athlete with unique speed for his size, with a great, great skill set. If his jumpshot continues to improve, I think he'll average 20ppg a few years. He has a good jumper already, we just never get to see it because it's not needed and no one in college can guard him off the dribble anymore.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)

I think he lines up more in line with the NBA game than the college game. He has the perfect skills to either operating in a pick and roll or pick and pop type offense, which really aren't used in the NCAA with the big men. He also could be a traditional post up center if needed, depending on where he gets drafted.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

None of those comparisons are any good. Hibbert is slow and barely gets off the floor. Lopez fell because he's not a good athlete either (that and the 2008 draft was loaded). Drummond is a better athlete but is a complete project with few offensive skills. Leonard is a bit closer, but still wasn't nearly as highly regarded.

At least coming out, he's most similar to LaMarcus Aldridge. Both are kinda thin and had questions about being able to bang in the NBA, both are good but not great athletes, but have some moves down low but didn't get a ton of scoring chances because their guards were scoring options too (and for Texas they sucked at getting him the ball). Their numbers will probably end up extremely similar in their sophomore years too.

Aldridge turned into a really solid offensive player by developing a pick-and-pop game to compensate for the fact that he can't always post-up effectively (though he's really good down low when he can). Obviously if you take Zeller, you hope he does the same.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
None of those comparisons are any good. Hibbert is slow and barely gets off the floor. Lopez fell because he's not a good athlete either (that and the 2008 draft was loaded). Drummond is a better athlete but is a complete project with few offensive skills. Leonard is a bit closer, but still wasn't nearly as highly regarded.

At least coming out, he's most similar to LaMarcus Aldridge. Both are kinda thin and had questions about being able to bang in the NBA, both are good but not great athletes, but have some moves down low but didn't get a ton of scoring chances because their guards were scoring options too (and for Texas they sucked at getting him the ball). Their numbers will probably end up extremely similar in their sophomore years too.

Aldridge turned into a really solid offensive player by developing a pick-and-pop game to compensate for the fact that he can't always post-up effectively (though he's really good down low when he can). Obviously if you take Zeller, you hope he does the same.

That's actually a pretty good comparison, although I'd be absolutely shocked if he reached aldridges level in the pros. I just looked back about 4-5 years at draft classes and was looking at 7 footers that didn't go in the top 5.

All this talk is pretty premature anyways. He'll go top 5 no matter what this year, but once he gets through the combine and predraft stuff is when we can get a better idea how he stacks up against other years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Very disappointed in the knowledge of the first incident, though I"m glad they did the right thing and dismissed him. I hope the two young women can find peace.

My friend knows the one that happened a few years ago and said she's not the type to lie.

The second one posted on Twitter and then closed her account when reporters asked for details, but she stopped tweeting after the initial accusation.

If I had to decide each, I'd say the first is true and the second is false. But then again, we can't ever know for sure.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Manti Te'o leading the chants of overrated is quite funny at the end of the game. If Manziel did that, the twitter world would explode saying how classless he is. ND basketball is good though with an extremely easy schedule until conference time.

The overrated chant is seriously the dumbest thing ever.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
At least your school did the right thing. ND would have kept him on.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
Oh, and Illinois wouldn't? That's a bunch of bulls***. Just get over your jealous hate. Your pathetic school can't beat top ten teams in any sport.

Pretty sure he is referring to this report

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Manti Te'o leading the chants of overrated is quite funny at the end of the game. If Manziel did that, the twitter world would explode saying how classless he is. ND basketball is good though with an extremely easy schedule until conference time.

This is Notre Dame. You can kill student assistants, and still be coach. You can rape females, and still be playing football.