2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Aaaaaaaaand we're a top 10 team. We won't end that way, but I don't give a f***. We completely deserve to be there right now.

There's your "Illinois hasn't beaten anyone" win. No way I thought we'd win this game, completely set up for a loss. 12 point dogs.

This team is for real.

Thoroughly satisfied.

+1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
+1

#mattacoachingtree

Seriously though, I dont know why experts are sleeping on Big Ten teams. We ALL know how talented we thought Illinois was the past few years and were disappointed with their performance. Groce is a whole different animal and brings alot to the table. Conference play is going to be f***ing awesome. Right now there are some of the best guards in America in this conference. Not to mention probably the best big guy and a few of the best wings. Add in some REALLYT great freshman (impressed as hell with Robinson) and this is a seriously talented bunch.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 06:15 AM)
Seriously though, I dont know why experts are sleeping on Big Ten teams. We ALL know how talented we thought Illinois was the past few years and were disappointed with their performance. Groce is a whole different animal and brings alot to the table. Conference play is going to be f***ing awesome. Right now there are some of the best guards in America in this conference. Not to mention probably the best big guy and a few of the best wings. Add in some REALLYT great freshman (impressed as hell with Robinson) and this is a seriously talented bunch.

I love watching Michigan play right now. It's still crazy to me that the best college player when I was growing up, the Big Dog, now has a son playing college hoops. I'm a huge T. Burke fan after seeing the Journey with him and your boy Sullinger.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
I love watching Michigan play right now. It's still crazy to me that the best college player when I was growing up, the Big Dog, now has a son playing college hoops. I'm a huge T. Burke fan after seeing the Journey with him and your boy Sullinger.

By far the biggest recruiting miss Matta has ever made. Its not to say Shannon Scott wont become a good player maybe even great, but Burke is a program changer.

BP3! Hope he continues to have a great senior year. His college career has almost mirrored his high school career so far, year by year.

fathom is right about Michigan. This is the most fun Wolverine squad in a long time. B10 games are gonna be fun!

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
I really hope the Illini can finish non-conference play undefeated and be riding high going into Big Ten play. Be interesting how they look next year with Groce first recruiting class and no Brandon Paul.

Rayvonte Rice should be a nice, double-digit scorer immediately for them.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
I really hope the Illini can finish non-conference play undefeated and be riding high going into Big Ten play. Be interesting how they look next year with Groce first recruiting class and no Brandon Paul.

Their last two games vs. lower level opponents were too close for comfort, so I hope they take it one game at a time. Then you got another big game vs. Mizzou. I'm still tempering my expectations because of the lack of any inside game and the strength of the Big Ten, but holy s*** this is fun!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
Their last two games vs. lower level opponents were too close for comfort, so I hope they take it one game at a time. Then you got another big game vs. Mizzou. I'm still tempering my expectations because of the lack of any inside game and the strength of the Big Ten, but holy s*** this is fun!

I wonder if Purdue is starting to worry about their coach from the Keady coaching tree.... That offense and defense expired 20 years ago.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
I wonder if Purdue is starting to worry about their coach from the Keady coaching tree.... That offense and defense expired 20 years ago.

He got so much out of Johnson, Moore, & Hummel (when his knee was in place), he is gonna have to prove himself without them.

Kinda reminds me of Weber, in that he was cruising when Dee, Deron, Augie & crew, but once they left it got much tougher. (Although those weren't Weber's recruits, while Painter did recruit those guys)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)

Every team has their flaws not going to let them temper my excitement about this team, next game I think will be an easy win but the last 2 to end non conference play def. will be good games.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 12:35 AM)
Every team has their flaws not going to let them temper my excitement about this team, next game I think will be an easy win but the last 2 to end non conference play def. will be good games.

Auburn is terrible.

Eastern Kentucky at 9-0 should be a better game than that.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)

I'm not tempering my excitement, just my expectations. They will be ranked in the top 10 tomorrow, which equates to a 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. Once Big Ten season starts, they won't stay there.

Auburn is terrible and just lost to DePaul, so Mizzou is the only "tough" game left in non conference. Then again, they needed a last second 3 to beat Gardner-Webb, so nothing's guaranteed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm not tempering my excitement, just my expectations. They will be ranked in the top 10 tomorrow, which equates to a 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. Once Big Ten season starts, they won't stay there.

Auburn is terrible and just lost to DePaul, so Mizzou is the only "tough" game left in non conference. Then again, they needed a last second 3 to beat Gardner-Webb, so nothing's guaranteed.

Really hope this team can keep the energy consistent in these lesser games.

Must say, I bought into the Groce hype awhile ago, but the way they are playing is making my decision to buy United Center game tickets very worthwhile (even if it's just Auburn).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
He got so much out of Johnson, Moore, & Hummel (when his knee was in place), he is gonna have to prove himself without them.

Kinda reminds me of Weber, in that he was cruising when Dee, Deron, Augie & crew, but once they left it got much tougher. (Although those weren't Weber's recruits, while Painter did recruit those guys)

Big difference there. Painter already has proven he can recruit and coach those types, Weber never could

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
Big difference there. Painter already has proven he can recruit and coach those types, Weber never could

Thing to remember with Panter though is that he recruited those guys when he didn't have to coach. He was the "coach in waiting" during Keady's last year. I think they are quickly finding out that the "mastermind" behind that class was Cuonzo Martin, who is recruiting very well at UT. Purdue hasn't seen a player, nor class like that since he left. With the way Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU, and ILL are recruiting, they won't see the top half of the B1G for a long time. His coaching is leaving a lot to be desired too. He's too stubborn to adapt his offense or defense to match his teams talent. Their forums are starting to turn on him after years of making fun of Crean, Izzo, and Matta. Pretty comical.

Illinois #10 in both polls. First time in top 10 since 05-06. There was a 0% chance I thought we'd be ranked in the top 10 at any point this season. I would have bet we wouldn't be ranked at all at any point, really.

LOL at 3 AP voters not ranking them at all. You should not be allowed to vote if you're that stupid.