2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butler played incredibly well. We did not. That's all there really is to it. Great game by them.

Learn from this, watch the film, figure it out, and get back at it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
This is so laughably Indiana it's not even funny. This team is sickening. They're really not that good, it's plainly obvious. Then just throw s*** up and comeback.

I don't even mean this in a negative way, but can you give me an example of a team you've liked? In over 8 years of posting here, I don't recall a team you've complimented.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
They're very vulnerable just like every other team in the country. They're a great team, possibly the best in the nation but the juggernaut talk was silly.

Yup. Long season still. Duke look like the best team at the moment, probably.

Playing away from Assembly Hall scared me and it showed today. Today, IU played a little confused, taking shots I haven't seen them take all year. Missing a ton of FT's didn't help. Give credit to Butler, they have a way of making teams look and play ugly. They did that well today. I thought they mugged Zeller all day, but I can't complain because IU is often gets the benefit of those calls. I think Clark Kellog said it best before Butler made their run. You have to put Butler away, they won't go away on their own. Many times I thought IU was about to put them away and Butler made a huge play. I love the word undefeated but it was way too unrealistic to think that way. Ultimately, they are going to have to find a way to play away from Assembly Hall. Part of that is going to be finding a way to stay composed.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I think it's a bit too early to proclaim that. They have only played one decent team and the game went to overtime. Offensively they are pretty sick, although they still struggle with entry passes to Zeller on occasion. I'm just not sold on them being a national championship team until they prove they can actually defend well.

They remind me of UNC teams of years past that eventually got bounced because of defense. The two Roy Williams teams that actually won the national championship had veteran point guards, veteran big men (May and Killer-T although Zeller is almost as good as them) and a ton of NBA talent filling out the roster overall.

Just saying... They're a really, really good offensive team, but the defense is very meh.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Butler played incredibly well. We did not. That's all there really is to it. Great game by them.

Learn from this, watch the film, figure it out, and get back at it.

I don't even mean this in a negative way, but can you give me an example of a team you've liked? In over 8 years of posting here, I don't recall a team you've complimented.

LOL no kidding. Terrible game by IU, but it's going to happen. Hopefully this sparks a fire under everyone elses' ass (Oladipo was great again) and they start playing some ball again. Zellers way better than that, and Watford needs to get his head out of his ass. Now we're down around 5-10 and "underrated" heading into the B1G. Time for another run.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Both big men out for Butler and Zeller is nowhere to be found. 6 boards?

Rebounding aside, it's on the guards/Crean to make sure he gets the ball more in OT. He has to take over and didn't.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Is IU going to go from overrated to underrated after 1 game? Calm down people.

The problem is Indiana looks similar to last year's team and hasn't proven a lot on the court yet. The North Carolina win was impressive, but we don't know how good UNC is. Georgetown is a strong team, but that wasn't a top 5 performance by IU in that win. Today against a very solid, but unranked Butler team isn't a good loss either. What has IU done to show they're worthy of a top 10 ranking? I'm not seeing it on the floor.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
Rebounding aside, it's on the guards/Crean to make sure he gets the ball more in OT. He has to take over and didn't.

The problem is Indiana looks similar to last year's team and hasn't proven a lot on the court yet. The North Carolina win was impressive, but we don't know how good UNC is. Georgetown is a strong team, but that wasn't a top 5 performance by IU in that win. Today against a very solid, but unranked Butler team isn't a good loss either. What has IU done to show they're worthy of a top 10 ranking? I'm not seeing it on the floor.

Um well, they gave the best team in country last year their best game in the tourney and returned everyone plus a top 10 class. This was Jurkin and Perea's first game back and Elston returns next week. You don't think their top ten, or deserving of it thats fine, but that's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. No one is head and shoulders better than anyone this year, but If you don't think Indiana is on that first "tier" with the best chance to cut 'em down in April, you're bats*** crazy.

This team has a little ways to go, but they have a helluva lot of weapons.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
Um well, they gave the best team in country last year their best game in the tourney and returned everyone plus a top 10 class. This was Jurkin and Perea's first game back and Elston returns next week. You don't think their top ten, or deserving of it thats fine, but that's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. No one is head and shoulders better than anyone this year, but If you don't think Indiana is on that first "tier" with the best chance to cut 'em down in April, you're bats*** crazy.

This team has a little ways to go, but they have a helluva lot of weapons.

All I said was the on court performances haven't been all that good. I think that's pretty clear when you can't beat Butler.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Honestly, no one in the B1G has proven much outside of Illinois and slighty Minny. Indy was overrated at one and also beat the country's two most overrated teams. OSU and Mich, not much there.

But all five are top ten in the country.

That obviously happens at this time of year. Illinois is currently 10, but there's no logic for saying Indiana should be ranked higher based on actual performances. Indiana could/should drop out of the top 10, not that rankings mean anything.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Honestly, no one in the B1G has proven much outside of Illinois and slighty Minny. Indy was overrated at one and also beat the country's two most overrated teams. OSU and Mich, not much there.

But all five are top ten in the country.

It's funny that U of I has proven the most on the court but is the most popular pick to fall all the way out of the B1G championship discussion. I'm not sure where they'll end up, but it still is funny. Illinois still has to keep proving more and more because one would think they should be worse than last year, but they sure don't look that way yet