2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Oh yeah in his own right he's not good. But he's the best option at the four right now. His defense down low for this team is huge, and paired with Egwu you have a competent front line. He's also a better rebounder than our other options, even if poor in his own right. Offensively, whatever. Griffey is giving you nothing anyways. Henry is the best threat there but he isn't a four at all. Really just out of position.

I've been calling for more minutes for Langford, but other than that, I want to see more of the Egwu/McLaurin combo if it means less of Griffey and Henry down low. I sound like a broken record, but Griffey really does make everyone he plays with a lot worse than they actually are.

McClaurin has been a solid offensive rebounder but he has actually been the worst defensive rebounder on the team this year. It is scary how bad our options are at the PF position.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Oh yeah in his own right he's not good. But he's the best option at the four right now. His defense down low for this team is huge, and paired with Egwu you have a competent front line. He's also a better rebounder than our other options, even if poor in his own right. Offensively, whatever. Griffey is giving you nothing anyways. Henry is the best threat there but he isn't a four at all. Really just out of position.

I've been calling for more minutes for Langford, but other than that, I want to see more of the Egwu/McLaurin combo if it means less of Griffey and Henry down low. I sound like a broken record, but Griffey really does make everyone he plays with a lot worse than they actually are.

I thought Henry actually played pretty well last night. He didn't provide much on the offensive end, but he rebounded pretty well. I'm hoping that he spends this coming offseason working on his ball handling and can become a more multi dimensional threat on the offensive end.

I like McClaurin. I appreciate the skill set he brings, but he's a liability on the offensive end. He sets some solid screens and grabs the occasional rebound, but MN didn't bother to even guard him at times. Griffey and Henry are good enough shooters that they can't be left alone which frees up space for Tracy and Paul to get to the rim.

I agree that I would like to see Langford get more minutes. He certainly has energy, the length to be a really good defender, and can rebound, but I have yet to see anything from him that makes me think he helps on the offensive end at all. I look forward to the day when Illinois can score from all 5 positions offensively.

I think Illinois fans in general are too harsh on Egwu. We all knew coming in that there was going to be a learning curve. But he's a hard working with a solid B1G frame and decent touch on his jumper. I think that both me and Tracy are going to be stars when they are seniors.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

That's a bit harsh. His problem is the complete lack of defensive skills. It becomes a 5 on 4 game with him out there, and without him stretching the floor and hitting threes on the other end, he's not doing anything. I wonder what his +/- is. He's got to be one of the worst on the team.

I still think Illinois is a good team and will be a tough out in the tournament. They just lost to a hot Minnesota team last night. In the end the little mental mistakes add up and with the lack of a PF as you guys have mentioned, the margin for error is pretty small. Abrams continues to reach and get himself in foul trouble but can at times be dominate with the dribble drive. Paul is their best player, but still takes too many plays off which you just can't do in the Big Ten. People are too hard on Richardson - each year he seems to regress in Big Ten play, but at least last night he might have been the most important player stopping Minnesota from totally blowing Illinois out. He continued to make 2 point shots to end scoring droughts or get a much needed bucket. I agree that Egwu is going to be a stud as a senior. The leap from last year to this year is pretty amazing.

What's up with Shaw? Is he just a total bust? I thought he was a decently rated recruit when he committed?

As I said last night, win at Wisconsin and you're looking at 2-2. That's right were I expected them to be.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
That's a bit harsh. His problem is the complete lack of defensive skills. It becomes a 5 on 4 game with him out there, and without him stretching the floor and hitting threes on the other end, he's not doing anything. I wonder what his +/- is. He's got to be one of the worst on the team.

That's what I mean. Whenever Griffey's man get the ball, our whole team reacts and has to compensate.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Im a Michigan fan but outside of Burke, Hardaway, and Robinson, they aren't all that athletic or big.

I really am a big Mitch McGary fan. I know his minutes haven't been there, I guess because of a foot problem, but the kid is a special big man.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Shaw was a top ten player at one point, finished hs with his RSCI in the 60s. How you can't find minutes at the four with this team is just shocking. Have to assume total bust.

Seriously, if the kid can't earn essentially any minutes with a severe lack of depth on this roster, than it means he needs to go elsewhere. I really doubt Groce is sitting him for personal reasons.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Shaw was a top ten player at one point, finished hs with his RSCI in the 60s. How you can't find minutes at the four with this team is just shocking. Have to assume total bust.

I think it is a few things, he rebounds well but has always looked completely lost on defense when he plays (albeit in very limited minutes). He also thinks he is a small forward on offense and jacks threes and jump shots even though he isn't a good shooter. I also tend to think that he is being pushed out the door because he isn't good and the slight upgrade he might provide this year, if any, isn't as valuable as his scholarship is going forward.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
More like gifted a win.

True, but I know for vandy there is nothing sweeter than beating kentucky. If that were to happen in a mizzou kansas game I would be livid and swimming in officiating conspiracy theories.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
True, but I know for vandy there is nothing sweeter than beating kentucky. If that were to happen in a mizzou kansas game I would be livid and swimming in officiating conspiracy theories.

Twitter was crazy when it happened with opinions of sports writers. It was such a clear shot clock violation.