2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I know they are without 2 of their best players, but Northwestern is awful. I don't see how they are even close to a tournament team at full strength. I think this will probably be the end for Carmody.

I don't think most really thought they'd make the tourney this year with the quality of the Big Ten (though there may have been a few). Pre-season, you probably would have guessed 6 wins in conference unless they hit their absolute ceiling. They should have had a pretty good backcourt with four experienced, talented options (two of which are out for the year and another has been battling a bad ankle) and the theory was maybe they'd get some production inside with two transfers at PF and a 7-footer. Of course, things never go their way.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's gone, but knowing NU I would expect him to get one more year using the short-handed roster as an excuse. Crawford and Cobb should both be back, and maybe one of those 6 freshmen improves. As usual, getting something resembling Big Ten caliber production up front will be the key.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Not sure who you are referring to. The reason Wisconsin hasnt lost to Indiana since January 31, 2007 (Indiana stormed the court that day, guess their fans knew it would be a long time before they beat Wisconsin) really hasnt had anything to do with non-athletic white players.

If you are referring to Rob Wilson last year, he is actually a black athletic player who never got a lot of minutes because he was to careless with the ball. The year before Wisconsin got 28 points and 39 points out of Jordan Taylor, another non-white player.

There is a certain irony about Indiana fans saying "non-athletic white guy".

That being said, I guess you can make up any excuse for why Wisconsin has beaten Indiana, but seeing as Im pretty sure not one player on the Indiana team has ever been part of a team that has beat Wisconsin, I think its a little more than the fluke you make it out to be.

To be clear though. Wisconsin should be a severe underdog tomorrow, no real reason to believe they will win. Outside of the Illinois game, they havent been that good and its on the road.

I will never forget Brian Butch banking in a game-winning 3 in 2008. Grrr. I was sitting right there and could see it perfectly.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Not sure who you are referring to. The reason Wisconsin hasnt lost to Indiana since January 31, 2007 (Indiana stormed the court that day, guess their fans knew it would be a long time before they beat Wisconsin) really hasnt had anything to do with non-athletic white players.

If you are referring to Rob Wilson last year, he is actually a black athletic player who never got a lot of minutes because he was to careless with the ball. The year before Wisconsin got 28 points and 39 points out of Jordan Taylor, another non-white player.

There is a certain irony about Indiana fans saying "non-athletic white guy".

That being said, I guess you can make up any excuse for why Wisconsin has beaten Indiana, but seeing as Im pretty sure not one player on the Indiana team has ever been part of a team that has beat Wisconsin, I think its a little more than the fluke you make it out to be.

To be clear though. Wisconsin should be a severe underdog tomorrow, no real reason to believe they will win. Outside of the Illinois game, they havent been that good and its on the road.

Don't that personally. It wasn't a slam at all. And its more perception than reality, because you're right Wilson is the one that truly came out of nowhere. My comment was really a backhanded measure of respect because Wisconsin seems to get the most out of their players. Accurate or not, I think that's a fairly common perception.

And you're right, there is an irony in the comment when coming from IU. Also, a reason I made a comment which by some may not be read as very PC.

I hope your feelings about Wisky on the road are right. I think IU will take care of business, but level of respect for what UW has done in past years, especially against IU makes me 2nd guess.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
Wow it's been that long since IU has beat Bucky? I never would have guessed that.

I wouldn't really say Wisconsin has dominated IU in that time. I mean their record the past 5 seasons is just 10-0 with their closest win by 2 pts on 2-13-08, the first of the 10. After that, IU has stayed within 10 points 3 whole times and been blown out (big enough differential I didn't feel like hurting my head trying to do the math) 4 out of the 10. Here's a quick list...

2008 - 13 pt win @ Wisky, 2 pt win @ IU

2009 - 2 blowout wins

2010 - 2 blow out wins

2011 - 9 & 10 pt wins

2012 - 7 pt win @ Wisky, 8 pt win in BTT

So I don't see how it's been THAT bad!

Can you say pain in our proverbial ass???? Let's hope this crap ends Tuesday night!!!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
Don't that personally. It wasn't a slam at all. And its more perception than reality, because you're right Wilson is the one that truly came out of nowhere. My comment was really a backhanded measure of respect because Wisconsin seems to get the most out of their players. Accurate or not, I think that's a fairly common perception.

And you're right, there is an irony in the comment when coming from IU. Also, a reason I made a comment which by some may not be read as very PC.

I hope your feelings about Wisky on the road are right. I think IU will take care of business, but level of respect for what UW has done in past years, especially against IU makes me 2nd guess.

No problem. I thought you were piling on the earlier comment about the Indiana fan who has a bad feeling because they have to watch Wisconsin basketball: "I do too, but that feeling could be because I'm going to have to watch Wisconsin play basketball."

Which is just so hilarious as Bo Ryan credit's Bob Knight for teaching him a lot about basketball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
No problem. I thought you were piling on the earlier comment about the Indiana fan who has a bad feeling because they have to watch Wisconsin basketball: "I do too, but that feeling could be because I'm going to have to watch Wisconsin play basketball."

Which is just so hilarious as Bo Ryan credit's Bob Knight for teaching him a lot about basketball.

Come on, I was joking. Wisconsin just wins... Whether their style of basketball is fun to watch or not, it works for them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:36 PM)

Non-PC or not, Wisconsin and Butler are about the only two teams I can think of that can out "white guy" Indiana. I was kind of hinting at the irony. The bottom line is the ball has to go in the basket to win. None of the rest matters other than goofballs like us talking on a message board.

Kentucky in a tight one against Tennessee @ Rupp. 49-48 UK w/ 9+ minutes left. In other news, Tennessee may have the ugliest unis, I have ever seen. #0 is wearing the all orange uni, orange shoes, orange socks to his mid calf, and orange compression sleeves on both knees and his left arm. That is WAY too much orange! Can't read the names on the back either. Whoever designed that uni should be fired!

Remy Abell has played out of control a lot lately, after playing well for most of the year. IU needs to figure out how to play D against Wisky.

Here is a quick secret about IU. When Jeremy Hollowell enters the game, he is guaranteed to shoot almost immediately. EVERY time!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
Remy Abell has played out of control a lot lately, after playing well for most of the year. IU needs to figure out how to play D against Wisky.

Here is a quick secret about IU. When Jeremy Hollowell enters the game, he is guaranteed to shoot almost immediately. EVERY time!

Hollowell hasn't looked that great this year, but he was actually patient on that one set earlier, and it paid off for him. Hopefully he remembers that.

Good game so far.

It always seems that Crean lets Wisconsin dictate the pace. Zeller is killing Wisconsin in the half court, but every possession where Indiana isnt running and has to work on offense/defense is good for Wisconsin.

I thought Wisconsin was a little out of control when they were being pressed and that if Indiana adjusted and didnt leave Brust free, Wisconsin would struggle.