2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:19 AM)
Yeah, wtf is up with this team? Really makes you play the what if game regarding Crawford. That said, it's still a team that lost to UIC so...

Their style of play is worse than Wisconsin. It's unbearable to watch. Teams just have to be patient and not get frustrated at the slow pace. That's why Illinois lost, and that's why Minnesota lost last night.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Their style of play is worse than Wisconsin. It's unbearable to watch. Teams just have to be patient and not get frustrated at the slow pace. That's why Illinois lost, and that's why Minnesota lost last night.

Disagree. I'd much rather watch Northwestern than Wisconsin. There's at least a lot more movement going on with the Wildcats usually.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Disagree. I'd much rather watch Northwestern than Wisconsin. There's at least a lot more movement going on with the Wildcats usually.

Hmm not sure if your statements about Wisconsin are true. They run a swing offense (based on flex cuts) that that relies on movement away from the ball. They almost never should have an offensive set where 1 guy dribbles iso and there is no ball movement.

You may not like Wisconsin because they dont run up and down the court and take quick shots. But their half court offense relies on as much, if not more, movement than the Princeton offense.

If you are interested here are some links to how the offense works and is dependent on off the ball movement.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/BoRyanSwingOffense.html

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/20...-breakdown.html

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/20...nd-options.html

http://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/bas...ball-clinics-2/

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)

I'd agree with this, but mostly because of their defense. I just can't stand to watch Wisconsin and Penn State play defense. Beating the s*** out of teams until the refs stop blowing their whistle, or decide to call nothing the entire game is not defense. It's unbelievable. I used to think Purdue was bad. Their nothing compared to those two. Win/Lose, I feel overjoyed when no one on Indiana walks away with an injury.

lol

The irony is that Indiana is the team who actually injured someone on Wisconsin by being overly aggressive. Kaminsky still is not okay after being slapped in the face by an Indiana player.

You also must not watch a lot of Wisconsin games, because they dont slap at the ball and arent overly aggressive. They defend with their legs/feet Bobby Knight style. Its the reason why they are consistently one of lowest teams in terms of personal fouls per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketbal...-fouls-per-game

Youll notice that Wisconsin averaged 14.2 fouls per game this season and last.

In comparison, Purdue (ultra aggressive) averages 18 fouls this year, 17.7 last year. Michigan State averages 16.5 this year 17.5 last year. Indiana a very slappy team averages 16.8 this year and 17.6 last year.

And Penn State, averages 21.7 fouls this year, 19.8 fouls last year.

You really hate Wisconsin, because you just make s*** up that is completely indefensible. Wisconsin is one of the LEAST aggressive teams on defense. Their entire system is built on not slapping or reaching for the ball, staying in front of your man and using your legs/feet to stay in front of your man forcing them to take a contested jump shot.

But Im sure you believe that is some sort of Wisconsin conspiracy, that the NCAA has some sort of love affair with Wisconsin and thats why you have to go back to 05-06 to find the last time they averaged over 17 fouls per game.

Care to make up any other tall tales?

I have a good one, Wisconsin is hard to watch because they are too athletic. Wisconsin is to hard to watch because they play to fast.

I guess anyone can say anything on the internet.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I'd agree with this, but mostly because of their defense. I just can't stand to watch Wisconsin and Penn State play defense. Beating the s*** out of teams until the refs stop blowing their whistle, or decide to call nothing the entire game is not defense. It's unbelievable. I used to think Purdue was bad. Their nothing compared to those two. Win/Lose, I feel overjoyed when no one on Indiana walks away with an injury.

Brad Stevens says hi.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
lol

The irony is that Indiana is the team who actually injured someone on Wisconsin by being overly aggressive. Kaminsky still is not okay after being slapped in the face by an Indiana player.

You also must not watch a lot of Wisconsin games, because they dont slap at the ball and arent overly aggressive. They defend with their legs/feet Bobby Knight style. Its the reason why they are consistently one of lowest teams in terms of personal fouls per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketbal...-fouls-per-game

Youll notice that Wisconsin averaged 14.2 fouls per game this season and last.

In comparison, Purdue (ultra aggressive) averages 18 fouls this year, 17.7 last year. Michigan State averages 16.5 this year 17.5 last year. Indiana a very slappy team averages 16.8 this year and 17.6 last year.

And Penn State, averages 21.7 fouls this year, 19.8 fouls last year.

You really hate Wisconsin, because you just make s*** up that is completely indefensible. Wisconsin is one of the LEAST aggressive teams on defense. Their entire system is built on not slapping or reaching for the ball, staying in front of your man and using your legs/feet to stay in front of your man forcing them to take a contested jump shot.

But Im sure you believe that is some sort of Wisconsin conspiracy, that the NCAA has some sort of love affair with Wisconsin and thats why you have to go back to 05-06 to find the last time they averaged over 17 fouls per game.

Care to make up any other tall tales?

I have a good one, Wisconsin is hard to watch because they are too athletic. Wisconsin is to hard to watch because they play to fast.

I guess anyone can say anything on the internet.

They body people. They do it constantly, so the refs either let them play that way, or they are calling fouls every trip. They're not the worst - Butler and Purdue IMO are the worst - but Wisconsin does it too. You don't have to slap or reach to be overly aggressive on defense.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
They body people. They do it constantly, so the refs either let them play that way, or they are calling fouls every trip. They're not the worst - Butler and Purdue IMO are the worst - but Wisconsin does it too. You don't have to slap or reach to be overly aggressive on defense.

I agree they use their lower body, I dont think they do it more than any of the other physical defensive teams in the Big 10 (MSU, Purdue, etc).

They just never reach in/slap like those other teams, so they are a team with a very low amount of fouls. If the refs called bodying every time, there would be no Big 10 basketball.

They just arent even close to Purdue, and I think almost every non-biased fan would agree with that.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
Hmm not sure if your statements about Wisconsin are true. They run a swing offense (based on flex cuts) that that relies on movement away from the ball. They almost never should have an offensive set where 1 guy dribbles iso and there is no ball movement.

You may not like Wisconsin because they dont run up and down the court and take quick shots. But their half court offense relies on as much, if not more, movement than the Princeton offense.

If you are interested here are some links to how the offense works and is dependent on off the ball movement.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/BoRyanSwingOffense.html

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/20...-breakdown.html

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/20...nd-options.html

http://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/bas...ball-clinics-2/

I still think it's the movement, but even if not, here's the bottom line for me: I've watched a lot of Wisconsin games and a lot of Northwestern games in my lifetime, most of them under Bo Ryan and Bill Carmody. I'm not a huge fan of either style, but between the two, I'd much rather watch Northwestern.

I hate Wisconsin because they drain the damned shot clock down to the end and then end up hitting what seems like wild ass shots. Granted, its not always like that, it just seems like that. I watch them and think they are the luckiest bastards in basketball, but then they keep doing it so it must not be all luck. It just drives me nuts. I wish they would have flip flopped how they played the last two games. IU would have killed them if they played like they did against MSU. But, alas, they currently own Indiana so all I can do is b!tch and complain!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
He is just rabidly anti-Wisconsin and will make up even the most nonsensical statements to try and persuade people the terribleness of Wisconsin.

Whoa, chill out Alice. You act like no one else in the country thinks the same about Wisconsin. Newsflash, you've beat Indiana's behind 11 straight times. I'm not talking crap about Wisconsin. I'm stating my opinion on their "defense". I think they body the heck out of people and I'm sure as heck not the only one. Sorry, I'm sooooo anti your precious Wisconsin.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Whoa, chill out Alice. You act like no one else in the country thinks the same about Wisconsin. Newsflash, you've beat Indiana's behind 11 straight times. I'm not talking crap about Wisconsin. I'm stating my opinion on their "defense". I think they body the heck out of people and I'm sure as heck not the only one. Sorry, I'm sooooo anti your precious Wisconsin.

Here is your statement:

I used to think Purdue was bad. Their nothing compared to those two

Im pretty sure you are the only one in the country who would say that Purdue is nothing compared to how physical Wisconsin plays.

Maybe you can find a few people to agree, they just likely dont understand math. Unless you think it is some sort of NCAA wide conspiracy to not call fouls on Wisconsin.

Chill out? You are the one infatuated with Wisconsin. Id guess that you mention Wisconsin in about 50% of your posts.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Im pretty sure you are the only one in the country who would say that Purdue is nothing compared to how physical Wisconsin plays.

Maybe you can find a few people to agree, they just likely dont understand math. Unless you think it is some sort of NCAA wide conspiracy to not call fouls on Wisconsin.

Chill out? You are the one infatuated with Wisconsin. Id guess that you mention Wisconsin in about 50% of your posts.

Wisconsin at home is brutally physical, but I would say they do this much more on offense with their moving screens. On defense they arent the worst. MSU is probably the "hackiest".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)

OSU is one of the more agressive defensive teams in the conference but dont get called for a ton of fouls. The number of fouls is not a great indicator.

I dont disagree that Wisconsin is physical.

I just think its nonsense to say that Wisconsin is so physical that 1) you are worried about the health of your team so much that you are just "overjoyed" that no one was injured, not caring whether you won or lost (convenient when Indiana hasnt won in 11 games) or 2) that they are so beyond other Big 10 teams that youd forget about Purdue.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)

I just think its nonsense to say that Wisconsin is so physical that 1) you are worried about the health of your team so much that you are just "overjoyed" that no one was injured, not caring whether you won or lost (convenient when Indiana hasnt won in 11 games) or 2) that they are so beyond other Big 10 teams that youd forget about Purdue.

I cant recall ever getting "beat up" by Wisconsin in bball. Going into West Lafayette is another story.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)

Purdue fouls on literally every possession. I'm not sure I've seen a team at any level that holds and hand checks as much as they do.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
I concur. f*** West Lafayette. And the one time I went there, I got a flat tire too.

I was driving on I-65 on the overpass above the main Lafayette exit and had a semi tire explode literally right next to my car. Managed to avoid death by probably less than a foot.

They also won't give me a job interview.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:19 AM)
Yeah, wtf is up with this team? Really makes you play the what if game regarding Crawford. That said, it's still a team that lost to UIC so...

They wouldn't be Northwestern if they made it through a season unscathed. Obviously they're not going anywhere without several miraculous wins.

They'd be SOOOO much better offensively with Crawford getting huge minutes instead of the Marcotullio/Demps/Abrahamson trio. You could probably say the same thing about Cobb too. They're really only got four guys with any ability to score, and one of them frequently struggles to get his shot off (Sobo) and another is just starting to get more minutes now (Demps).

I want to be optimistic about next year, but the two main reasons they've been better the last few games are Hearn and Swopshire: both seniors. I'm more worried about the latter since they don't really have a similar 6'8"-ish guy to play as a stretch 4 (Hearn it's more intangibiles that they're struggle to replace than production).