2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
Congrats, Heads.

Ahem...

The loss to TT still hurts, can't believe they shot 35% against the worst shooting defense in the conference. But the win over KSU is really nice.

That KSU game is the start of the stretch that I think will define just how good this ISU team is or isn't. KU is far and away on top of the B12, and then you have four teams that are just not even in contention for anything post-season (TEX, TT, TCU, WVU). Tha leaves a whole mess of teams in the middle-upper ranks, that includes KSU, ISU, OU, BAY and OKST. How they play against that pack is what will tell you how good they are. Starting from today, IS is on a stretch like this: KSU, @OKST, BAY, OU, @KSU.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
Ahem...

The loss to TT still hurts, can't believe they shot 35% against the worst shooting defense in the conference. But the win over KSU is really nice.

That KSU game is the start of the stretch that I think will define just how good this ISU team is or isn't. KU is far and away on top of the B12, and then you have four teams that are just not even in contention for anything post-season (TEX, TT, TCU, WVU). Tha leaves a whole mess of teams in the middle-upper ranks, that includes KSU, ISU, OU, BAY and OKST. How they play against that pack is what will tell you how good they are. Starting from today, IS is on a stretch like this: KSU, @OKST, BAY, OU, @KSU.

The Tech loss is still by far the worst in 10+ years, but this is a good start. At least it's early enough in the conference season.

Need to get thru the next four at 2-2.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Pick 5 people in this thread and we would have put together a better half.

What's even more amazing is they broke their own record set earlier this year! They only had 5 points at halftime on Dec. 1 @ Dayton. Of course they followed that up with 38 in the second half!

Scratching my my head how a team can be so bad to score 5 and 4 points in a half, yet their three DI wins are all by more than 10 pts and 2 of the 3 on the road. Perhaps they should warm up better??

Halfway decent game on CBS right now. I'll just say MSU is shooting much better than I thought they would, especially from 3. Still, if IU hits FT's the rest of the way they should win. Unfortunately this year, that's far from a guarantee.

EDIT: All things being equal, I think IU should win this game just based on not having ugly-assed shoes!

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Halfway decent game on CBS right now. I'll just say MSU is shooting much better than I thought they would, especially from 3. Still, if IU hits FT's the rest of the way they should win. Unfortunately this year, that's far from a guarantee.

EDIT: All things being equal, I think IU should win this game just based on not having ugly-assed shoes!

The candy stripe pants are worse.

It was a helluva game. I think both teams played well despite some oddities. For most of the game, Zeller was no factor at all, especially on offense. He has really struggled lately. For MSU, Appling was in foul trouble all day and played very little role. I thought Trice played very well in his absence. Didn't hear a lot from Derrick Nix either, but Gary Harris was damned good.

Looks like we'll likely have #1 against #3 next Saturday night in Bloomington, or possible #2 vs. #3/4 if Michigan loses tonight.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
The Tech loss is still by far the worst in 10+ years, but this is a good start. At least it's early enough in the conference season.

Need to get thru the next four at 2-2.

Nothing tops the 2001 loss to Hampton in the tourney. Nothing. I assume that is the game you are referring back to.

2-2 would be good, give them a decent chance at 20 wins in the regular season, and that will likely get them in to the dance. 3-1 would be great.