2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Thank god the NHL lockout ended, cause I'm done watching Illini b-ball for the year. Stopped watching about the same time last year and it did me well. Enjoy your bye on Thursday Hoosier fans.

It would be SO Illinois to make it a great game and possibly pull the upset.

Bye bye seniors. You're garbage. It's like McCamey, Tisdale, and Davis again....except worse.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Thank god the NHL lockout ended, cause I'm done watching Illini b-ball for the year. Stopped watching about the same time last year and it did me well. Enjoy your bye on Thursday Hoosier fans.

Yep, I have officially hit this point too. f*** this team, and I hope to god we didn't hire Tim Beckman 2.0 to run the basketball program. My favorite part of the game was when Joseph Bertrand had three straight drives (and 6 straight points), without much resistance from Wisconsin, to get a little momentum and get the game down to a couple of possessions. So what does Groce/Brandon Paul do on the next three possessions? Turnover by Paul dribbling the basketball, terrible three pointer by Paul within about 8 seconds of the shot clock, and then a turnover by Abrams for a travel (might have been within 4-5 possessions, I can't remember. But those three stood out). They never went back to Bertrand. It was like, hey guys, here's an obvious thing to do that's working. Let's not do it again, ok?The announcer even pointed it out. Just terrible.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Is Abrams going to be the best player on Illinois next year?

Read the other night that Oladipo played 45 defensive possessions against Michigan. All told, the players he was guarding had...4 points. That's two baskets. Out of 45.

What in the hell.

He's unbelievable. Best defender I've seen at the college level in a long time (obviously leaving out big men that block shots). It seems like he's everywhere.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
If that's the case, then they needed to have him on Burke more often. The shots that dude was hitting were unbelievable.

He hit some shots, but he missed a ton. I believe he was 9-24. Ferrell was the difference in that game. He's really, really coming into his own. When he was on the court, IU had to be +15 or 20.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
He hit some shots, but he missed a ton. I believe he was 9-24. Ferrell was the difference in that game. He's really, really coming into his own. When he was on the court, IU had to be +15 or 20.

There was definitely a noticeable difference in the game between when Ferrell was in and when he wasn't. The team runs so much better with him on the court.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
He's unbelievable. Best defender I've seen at the college level in a long time (obviously leaving out big men that block shots). It seems like he's everywhere.

Aaron Craft is shocked that you've missed the last 2 seasons of college ball.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
Aaron Craft is shocked that you've missed the last 2 seasons of college ball.

Craft is great, but Oladipo can guard 1-4 and not miss a beat. He'll be on Thomas for sure.

Craft is definitely up there, but if Oladipo isn't the DPOY, the award is pointless. He can completely take over the game on both sides of the ball.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Craft is great, but Oladipo can guard 1-4 and not miss a beat. He'll be on Thomas for sure.

Craft is definitely up there, but if Oladipo isn't the DPOY, the award is pointless. He can completely take over the game on both sides of the ball.

Craft has been the best on ball defender in college bball since he was a freshman. He guards the pg of the opposing team completely dictating the pace of play. You are correct he doesn't guard 4 positions, doesn't change the fact he's the best at what he does. Opposing coaches and experts echo that statement. Oladipo is a great defender playing in space and passing lanes but one on one he is not superior. Oladipo remindse a lot of David Lighty, versatile as hell.

Craft should be a lock for DPOY. He's already the all time leader in steals at OSU one third through his junior year.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Craft has been the best on ball defender in college bball since he was a freshman. He guards the pg of the opposing team completely dictating the pace of play. You are correct he doesn't guard 4 positions, doesn't change the fact he's the best at what he does. Opposing coaches and experts echo that statement. Oladipo is a great defender playing in space and passing lanes but one on one he is not superior.

Craft should be a lock for DPOY. He's already the all time leader in steals at OSU one third through his junior year.

I think that would be a big miscall. Brad Stevens and Izzo would agree. Stevens came out and said he's never seen a better defender in his life. Beilein singing ridiculous praise Saturday night as well. Burke said today "I had much more fun playing against Craft than Oladipo".

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
I think that would be a big miscall. Brad Stevens and Izzo would agree. Stevens came out and said he's never seen a better defender in his life. Beilein singing ridiculous praise Saturday night as well. Burke said today "I had much more fun playing against Craft than Oladipo".

Who can out homer who huh? Burke played a hell of a lot better this season against IU so not sure why he would say that. Should we start posting quotes from opposing coaches? Izzo called craft "the best on ball defender he's ever seen". Coach k and Billy Donovan said much of the same. SI wrote a 6 page article on him last week full of quotes. He's also the reining DPOY in the conference.

Stats? Efficiency? What else can we compare?

Michigan point guard Trey Burke, a national player of the year candidate, has found out the hard way – twice. In the last two meetings between the Buckeyes and Wolverines, Burke has finished a combined 5 of 24 from the field with 12 turnovers.

“Craft is as good as there is and as I’ve ever seen,” said Michigan head coach John Beilein, after Burke was limited to 4-of-13 shooting and committed four turnovers in a 56-53 loss at Ohio State on Jan. 13. “He’s tremendous.”

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Exactly, neither one of us is budging. It seems it'll be Withey, Oladipo, or Noel for NDPOY. I would imagine Oladipo will get BTDPOY with ease. We shall see.

Lotta time left for anything to happen. A few short months ago everyone was calling Zeller as NPOY and now he's probably not even the best player on his own team. Shoot back then it was considers a two man race, now who the f*** knows.