2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
The bubble sucks every year.

Expanding to 68 teams was an awful idea.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Losing to Northwestern at home should relegate you to the NIT barring some major resume builders elsewhere (see Illinois).

The double digit home loss to NW should cancel out the double digit road win at Gonzaga, but I'll take the bid anyway.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this for a statistical oddity...

FG's 3ptFG's

1-3 0-2 Away 2010

1-6 0-5 Home 2010

1-8 1-5 Away 2011

10-17 4-9 Home 2011

1-5 0-2 Away 2012

3-4 0-1 Home 2012

0-10 0-4 Away 2013

0-7 0-4 Home 2013

17-60 5-32 Totals

28.3% 15.6% %

Jordan Hulls career stats against Iowa. Hulls is a career 47% FG and 45% 3ptFG shooter. He has been 49% on both the past two seasons. Yet, he's been that bad against Iowa, sans one game in 2011. Take out 8 games against Iowa and his career 3pt% jumps 2%.

To me that's just crazy.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
When flipping through the channel guide yesterday, I saw that the Big Ten Network had put on Monday's schedule a B1G Classic episode of today's Michigan-Michigan State game.

What.

They show replays regardless. You can find almost any game from the week on there labeled as B1G Classic. It's an odd name, should just say B1G Replay or something.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
Yes, but the bubble really sucks this year. It is worse. Lunardi went so far as to comment on ESPN Radio last night that he is rooting for conference tournament upsets (which makes it harder for him to be right) because right now he is putting teams into the field by default. When asked how Tennessee is now in after losing to Georgia, he couldn't give an answer. I get the sense he flipped a coin or something close to that.

The SEC is terrible this year. I mean, really terrible. They barely deserve 2 teams and one could argue their lack of road wins makes their resume very shaky. But neutral site wins over VCU and Illinois will be enough to get them in, the seeding will take care of the rest. Tennessee is still a possibility with a couple of wins this week, including a home win over Missouri.

Iowa's problem is to get in they are going to have to beat Indiana in the B1G quarterfinals Friday morning. I just don't see that happening at this point. They might not even beat Purdue Thursday (assuming that is how the seeds finalize).

I think Iowa probably needs 4 more wins to get in the tournament. Beat Illinois and Nebraska should make them the 7 seed (tiebreaker over Illinois by virtue of one head to head). Beat Northwestern or Nebraska Thursday and then whoever is the two seed on Friday and that might do it with a very weak bubble.

Hopfully Illinois wins on Tuesday and avoids the 8/9 game. I want no part of playing Indiana again this year...

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 11:14 PM)
They show replays regardless. You can find almost any game from the week on there labeled as B1G Classic. It's an odd name, should just say B1G Replay or something.

Yeah, that would make a lot more sense. I'm disappointed in general with BTN's production value. If they could just get themselves up to the level of like an MLB Network, I'd be ecstatic.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
I think Iowa probably needs 4 more wins to get in the tournament. Beat Illinois and Nebraska should make them the 7 seed (tiebreaker over Illinois by virtue of one head to head). Beat Northwestern or Nebraska Thursday and then whoever is the two seed on Friday and that might do it with a very weak bubble.

Hopfully Illinois wins on Tuesday and avoids the 8/9 game. I want no part of playing Indiana again this year...

Doesn't the committee make every effort to separate teams from the same conference until the sweet 16? I wouldn't see us as the 8/9 against Indiana considering they'll likely be the only #1 seed from the Big Ten.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
Doesn't the committee make every effort to separate teams from the same conference until the sweet 16? I wouldn't see us as the 8/9 against Indiana considering they'll likely be the only #1 seed from the Big Ten.

Wasn't clear in my initial post. I meant avoiding the 8/9 game in the Big Ten Tournament. You are correct that the committee tries to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the Sweet 16.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Wasn't clear in my initial post. I meant avoiding the 8/9 game in the Big Ten Tournament. You are correct that the committee tries to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the Sweet 16.

Got it. I thought you had fast-forwarded to NCAA seeds.

If we play IU, so be it - it's a gravy game at that point, so the worst that can happen is we lose as expected.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)

I know that's not what he was referring to, but you are correct. Except that it is not a make every effort situation, it is a must per the bracketing rules. The only exception could be if a conference gets 9 bids as happened with the Big East recently. If a team is on the 8 seed line, and the S curve lines them up against a conference #1, the committee can either move them up or down one seed or move them to another region, or both. Bumping them up or down a seed could automatically move them based on the S Curve. Moving them along the S curve at the same seed would simply move them.

Teams' seeding position can be moved to avoid conference match ups, preferential geographical placement over a higher seed (for example, as is now, if Indiana fell to the #2 seed line, they would not be placed in the Midwest, lining them up to play the #1 in Indianapolis), etc. I believe certain adjustments can even be made to avoid rematches in earlier rounds, if it fits the rest of the bracket criteria.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
So Dan Dakitch should go way after running off his top 5 teams in the B1G.

1. Indiana...fine

2. Wisconsin...huh

3. Ohio St...top 5 but not 3

4. Michigan St...should be 2 IMO

5. Minnesota...WTF

Two tweets from Dakich after the game the same day you posted this... At least he admits it!

Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich

My Big 10 Index stinks..

Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich

Gonna go in back room do some serious thinking ..the Big 10 index has to be better play harder represent

Wisconsin had been doing well until they decided to basically destroy their season losing to Purdue.

The problem with his index is like he says its about what teams are playing good that day. And any system built on what have you done for me lately is bound to have inconsistency.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
Wisconsin had been doing well until they decided to basically destroy their season losing to Purdue.

The problem with his index is like he says its about what teams are playing good that day. And any system built on what have you done for me lately is bound to have inconsistency.

I've never understood the point of it considering that's what he uses to judge it. OK, Illinois beats Indiana, they are clearly #1 that day. Big deal.

He should just say "this is my power rankings...not necessarily based on standings, but how good I think these teams are and how well I could see them doing in the tournament." Or something to that effect.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
I've never understood the point of it considering that's what he uses to judge it. OK, Illinois beats Indiana, they are clearly #1 that day. Big deal.

He should just say "this is my power rankings...not necessarily based on standings, but how good I think these teams are and how well I could see them doing in the tournament." Or something to that effect.

I've heard him say several times that his index is based on how teams are playing now. Maybe you gotta listen a little better! The fact it changes every week and sometimes drastically, should tell you something! ;-)

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Two tweets from Dakich after the game the same day you posted this... At least he admits it!

Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich

My Big 10 Index stinks..

Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich

Gonna go in back room do some serious thinking ..the Big 10 index has to be better play harder represent

FYI, I'm not Dan Dakich. Ha

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
I've heard him say several times that his index is based on how teams are playing now. Maybe you gotta listen a little better! The fact it changes every week and sometimes drastically, should tell you something! ;-)

I get what he bases it off of, I even said it in my post. I just don't understand the point of it. All he does it take the teams that won that week and they go to the top. He could just call it the "teams who won this week index."

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
I get what he bases it off of, I even said it in my post. I just don't understand the point of it. All he does it take the teams that won that week and they go to the top. He could just call it the "teams who won this week index."

So last week 1-14 Penn State was easily one of the top 3 teams in the Big Ten, right? You have to play really well to beat Michigan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
Well, this is a road game I have to watch since its win or the crown is officially gone. Since we give up 3 pointers like its nobody's business I expect to be blown out by 15.

I hope you are as accurate as you are with your expectations of OSU - Northwestern.

Win tonight at Iowa, worst we'll have is the 7 seed in BTT. Can get 6 but I think Minnesota will grab it by winning the final 2. Lose and it's the 8/9 game.

Iowa's favored by 3.5. It's really good to not have to win this game in regards to making the dance.

Can we fire every ref in college basketball since they don't understand what a charge is? Abrams just got called for a charge where he was already in the air when the Iowa player slid over. I am 100% sure I can do a better job than these hacks simply because I would basically never call a charge.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
Can we fire every ref in college basketball since they don't understand what a charge is? Abrams just got called for a charge where he was already in the air when the Iowa player slid over. I am 100% sure I can do a better job than these hacks simply because I would basically never call a charge.

OMG LOOK ILLINI FANS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE REFS!!!!

That was a laughable call.

It's one things if fans complain about the block charge all the time, but even Jay Bilas says they get it wrong almost all the time. Something really needs to change.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 01:25 AM)

They also apparently just legalized tackling. Abrams now afraid to go to the rim. Wonder why.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
OMG LOOK ILLINI FANS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE REFS!!!!

That was a laughable call.

It's one things if fans complain about the block charge all the time, but even Jay Bilas says they get it wrong almost all the time. Something really needs to change.

College refs get that call wrong twice as often as they get it right. Just make the arc extend as far as the NBA's arc and basically remove the charge call from college basketball and I'd be thrilled.