2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
First time ever as a head coach and you start in the Big Ten...with the worst facilities in the conference. Good luck Mr. Collins.

Wonder how Crawford feels about the Champaign-Urbana area.

I actually think this isn't a bad choice for either party. If Collins can get NU just to the tournament, he's a success, and he will get some time to do so. NU needs a guy who can recruit. Collins has a name, is young, and probably really willing to go all out recruiting. I think Carmody was a pretty good coach for NU, but this hire is definitely worth a shot. I don't think they will ever become a consistant power, but all they need is a successful couple of years for Collins to be considered a huge success. If Chris has anywhere near the baskeball IQ of his dad, he should be pretty good with the X's and O's.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard for me to have a strong opinion about an assistant coach, I just don't know anything about what system he'll run or how much responsibility he really has at Duke. I can't read the NU (yes, it's NU damn it, not NW) rivals board right now. I think they could hire a re-animated John Wooden and the pro-Carmody people would still have a problem with it, and the anti-Carmody people would be fine with hiring a monkey that rolls dice to determine lineups now that BC is gone.

Improved recruiting would definitely help. The last few years they had made some gains and actually had more than 3 or 4 guys that looked like they belonged in the Big Ten. Hopefully Collins helps them move up a little more and grabs more strong-3's and 4-stars here and there (technically they had two 4's, but they both dropped after committing and Sina may/may not stick with NU). Carmody's offense definitely helped, but the talent difference was quite obvious defensively and on the glass. If they can improve that under the new regime, they won't have to be quite so perfect on offense to get wins.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I know nothing about Collins, so I'm not sure exactly what his reputation is. But, I'd definitely be wary of hiring a recruiter away from a program that recruits itself. You're never quite sure whether the players he recruited went there because of him or the big name and bright lights.

I want to say it'll be interesting to see if he pans out, but it's really hard for me to even fathom somebody being significantly successful at Northwestern at this point in time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
Not sure what their grades situation is like

Like I said, NU was recruiting both of them at one point and Rivals lists both of them as having offers, so I'd think they can take them. Foster especially would be nice, NU can always use more size.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
Like I said, NU was recruiting both of them at one point and Rivals lists both of them as having offers, so I'd think they can take them. Foster especially would be nice, NU can always use more size.

Would definitely be a good start

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
Shaka lost out on deciding not to come to Illinois and the Big Ten. Though I read on a message board this week rumors that he was actually much closer to accepting the job than previously thought and his wife basically talked him out of it at the least minute. At this point just be content where you're at, making the tournament and being a cinderella favorite every year.

I mean, is the extra million really worth the added pressure of having to win at a program like UCLA? Multiple final fours and conference titles wasn't enough for that delusional fan base.

Ya...cause the Illinois job is better then the UCLA job, which he isn't even interested in. If he wants to be great, the UCLA job is the job he should have taken. Howland is out for reasons people aren't talking about. He's a great coach and just an awful people person and the UCLA roster has been a mess and that is why a change is being made. He needs to get out of SoCal, he just doesn't fit there. And I really really like Ben Howland the coach.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
While all this may be true, haven't there been strong whispers of NCAA violations as well as Howland generally being a jerk to players/administration?

No major NCAA violations that I"ve heard of. His issues were non "coaching" related and were more in relation to how he handled his players and just his overall attitude. He'll be a great hire by someone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
Last year they ranked in the top 50. White, Basabe and Marble are all really good players. Maybe not lottery picks, but guys that can win you games. If no one transfers or flunks out, if Woodbury gets stronger and plays anywhere near someone 7'1", they will contend for the Big Ten title next year. If they could have closed out games this year, the only team they really couldn't or shouldn't beat was Michigan.

Peter Jok was rated #10 prospect in the country by Van Coleman, and they have Uthoff coming to play next year as well. McCaffery is really turning that program around.

Agreed. They won't have won and done talent, but they'll have a nice mix of senior's and juniors plus other young players with talent that should work well. Marble is pretty darn good and should be one of the better players in the conference.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
Peter Jok was rated #10 prospect in the country by Van Coleman, and they have Uthoff coming to play next year as well. McCaffery is really turning that program around.

Maybe after his freshman year of high school but he definitely isn't ranked #10 in the country right now. If this is the list you were looking at I can guarantee that the list is way out of date. For one thing Tommy Hamilton is the #9 player in the country and his best offer right now is DePaul and he frankly sucks. Austin Colbert who is coming to Illinois and is a very good prospect but no all american is #16 on that list.

http://hot100hoops.com/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=117

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
Maybe after his freshman year of high school but he definitely isn't ranked #10 in the country right now. If this is the list you were looking at I can guarantee that the list is way out of date. For one thing Tommy Hamilton is the #9 player in the country and his best offer right now is DePaul and he frankly sucks. Austin Colbert who is coming to Illinois and is a very good prospect but no all american is #16 on that list.

http://hot100hoops.com/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=117

I would definitely stay away from Tommy Hamilton. If he was 6 inches shorter, he'd be nothing. Just lazy. Although I didn't see him last year after leaving Young.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
No major NCAA violations that I"ve heard of. His issues were non "coaching" related and were more in relation to how he handled his players and just his overall attitude. He'll be a great hire by someone.

Was it UCLA or USC that SI did the spread on how bizarre their program was?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
Ya...cause the Illinois job is better then the UCLA job, which he isn't even interested in. If he wants to be great, the UCLA job is the job he should have taken. Howland is out for reasons people aren't talking about. He's a great coach and just an awful people person and the UCLA roster has been a mess and that is why a change is being made. He needs to get out of SoCal, he just doesn't fit there. And I really really like Ben Howland the coach.

Second time his post has been completely misunderstood (ss2k5). His point wasn't that Illinois is a better job than UCLA, not at all what he was saying.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 06:36 AM)
Second time his post has been completely misunderstood (ss2k5). His point wasn't that Illinois is a better job than UCLA, not at all what he was saying.

His point was that Illinois is a better job because its lower stress, etc. The hell with that and I don't buy it. Illinois isn't one of the best jobs in its conference. That will make it harder for them to win at the elite level. At UCLA you are the best job in your conference and while their is pressure, these guys are winners and want to win it all. Thats why they do this. A young guy like Shaka...he can fail at UCLA and then go get an Illinois job. He should go for the best.

Clearly he's going to stay in his comfort zone until whatever his perfect job is comes to him.

People that strive to be the very best at what they do (and that is the case with most of these guys coaching at the D1 level) don't just say ahhh, this is as good as it gets. Maybe at some point they get to that point, but a young upstart, hell no. That isn't his nature so it is a stupid argument to me. If he wants comfort, he can just be the top dog in his little s*** conference and win every year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
His point was that Illinois is a better job because its lower stress, etc. The hell with that and I don't buy it. Illinois isn't one of the best jobs in its conference. That will make it harder for them to win at the elite level. At UCLA you are the best job in your conference and while their is pressure, these guys are winners and want to win it all. Thats why they do this. A young guy like Shaka...he can fail at UCLA and then go get an Illinois job. He should go for the best.

Clearly he's going to stay in his comfort zone until whatever his perfect job is comes to him.

People that strive to be the very best at what they do (and that is the case with most of these guys coaching at the D1 level) don't just say ahhh, this is as good as it gets. Maybe at some point they get to that point, but a young upstart, hell no. That isn't his nature so it is a stupid argument to me. If he wants comfort, he can just be the top dog in his little s*** conference and win every year.

You don't have to buy it, but it's pretty telling that he was THIS close to coming to Illinois, and he immediately said no to UCLA. The dude just does not want to make the jump to a major major power. And i'm not sure that I blame him. He's making more than enough money right now, he plays in a weaker conference and he can consistently get into the tournament.

And no, Illinois isn't one of the best jobs in the conference right now. It's probably 6th behind Indiana, OSU, MSU, UM and WI. But in terms of potential it would be right up there at the top. As soon as someone wins big and keeps the Chicago recruits it'll be the next elite team in the country. And yes I'm fully aware that statement has been made for the last 30 years and it has yet to happen, but Kruger/Self brought the program back to the nationally elite level that Henson had it at before Pearl f***ed it up. And we'd still be at that level if Weber hadn't f***ed us for a decade. Really, IU is the only "for sure" traditional power because of their 5 NC's. Izzo brought MSU to that level but that's been the last 10-15 years. OSU's good run has been about a decade and I really wonder what happens when Matta leaves because of his health. Michigan hasn't done anything for 20 years though this current run might start a big upswing. And Wisconsin is a great program, but it's maxed out basically what it can be.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)

Nope, not a better job, a better FIT. Huge difference. And yeah, if he turned down UCLA but was really close to Illinois, then he was thinking it was a better fit too.

Edited by IlliniKrush

You guys really need to take the blinders off. Illinois an elite job. GMAB. Does it have better potential then Iowa or Wisconsin and is it a better job then those schools, absolutely (I only throw Iowa in the mix because I'm an Iowa fan and wanted to show the fact that I am not blinded and don't see Iowa as the better job). It probably is the 4th or 5th best job in the conference but lets not act like you are selling recruits to play in downtown Chicago here. Yes they have a nice recruiting base, but there isn't really a lot that differentiates Illinois from some of the other big midwest schools near Chicago. If Illinois was in downtown or a 15 minute drive from downtown, that would be another story.