2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
You guys really need to take the blinders off. Illinois an elite job. GMAB. Does it have better potential then Iowa or Wisconsin and is it a better job then those schools, absolutely (I only throw Iowa in the mix because I'm an Iowa fan and wanted to show the fact that I am not blinded and don't see Iowa as the better job). It probably is the 4th or 5th best job in the conference but lets not act like you are selling recruits to play in downtown Chicago here. Yes they have a nice recruiting base, but there isn't really a lot that differentiates Illinois from some of the other big midwest schools near Chicago. If Illinois was in downtown or a 15 minute drive from downtown, that would be another story.

Because it's happened two times before in the last 30 years?

I mean, let's get the definition of "elite" out of the way. "Elite" requires some degree of traditional success with national championships, so no, they're not going to be a "traditional elite." Could they become a perennial conference title/final four contender and top 10-15 team? Yes. I'd consider that elite and i'd consider that attainable for a program like Illinois which could - and should - own Chicago, the biggest city in the state. Even if you miss out on 1-2 big names in Chicago, there is plenty of talent you can lock down to be an elite program.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys really need to take the blinders off. Illinois an elite job. GMAB. Does it have better potential then Iowa or Wisconsin and is it a better job then those schools, absolutely (I only throw Iowa in the mix because I'm an Iowa fan and wanted to show the fact that I am not blinded and don't see Iowa as the better job). It probably is the 4th or 5th best job in the conference but lets not act like you are selling recruits to play in downtown Chicago here. Yes they have a nice recruiting base, but there isn't really a lot that differentiates Illinois from some of the other big midwest schools near Chicago. If Illinois was in downtown or a 15 minute drive from downtown, that would be another story.

Illinois is probably a top 25ish job right now, it's not a top 10 job but it can get closer to a top 10-20 job ifthey make a run in the next few years and the renovation project goes well/goes at all.

It'll never be an Indiana/UNC type job, but is in the next tier below.

You keep putting words in people's mouths.

Also, got a couple recruits already coming from Chicago, and about to be more. You can't get everyone (and won't get THE top national guys) but we should get our fair share of talent now.

If Groce gets Okafor or Alexander, he will change Illinois recruiting forever. He will have done what no other reent Illini coach has done and get a top national player from Chicago. Both could be one and done guys though. Especially Cliff, who seems to be warming up to Illinois.

I've said it before. I think Nunn has potential to be a nice Illinois player, but hope fans aren't too excited about Tate.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Where were Nick Anderson, Efrem Winters, Lowell Hamilton and Parade Magazine High School Player of the Year Marcus Liberty from?

That's not recent and were those guys top national guys? I was like 5 years old.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
If Groce gets Okafor or Alexander, he will change Illinois recruiting forever. He will have done what no other reent Illini coach has done and get a top national player from Chicago. Both could be one and done guys though. Especially Cliff, who seems to be warming up to Illinois.

I've said it before. I think Nunn has potential to be a nice Illinois player, but hope fans aren't too excited about Tate.

I think we have a better shot at Lyle and/or Black than those guys. I really don't think Okafor is coming to UofI at all, and Cliff could but I think he's still a hard MSU lean with us making headway.

Honestly, and 4 of those guys (Okafor, Alexander, Black, Lyle) would be just a HUGE recruiting coup for Groce.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

My understanding is that Illinois basically has zero chance at Okafor. However, on Alexander, I've heard that while MSU is still out in front Illinois has made up an incredible amount of ground with him this year and has a decent chance at landing him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
My understanding is that Illinois basically has zero chance at Okafor. However, on Alexander, I've heard that while MSU is still out in front Illinois has made up an incredible amount of ground with him this year and has a decent chance at landing him.

IMO, Cliff is waiting to hear on if Lyle goes to Illinois and then would follow. Completely my guess, but I think Cliff wants another big time stud for his likely one and done.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
Oh hey UCLA, did you not learn Illnois' lesson last year?

Van Pelt and Russillo, two of the brighter guys on sports radio, were discussing UCLA with Andy Katz and how these "mid-tier" jobs are really not viewed by many coaches as a lesser job than the first tier jobs...they might make 30% less or so, but they are able to win their league most years, they are comfortable with whom they work, they don't have the huge spotlight on them, and so generally they have a very high quality of life.

Who needs all that pressure and scrutiny, and are those jobs really better?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Van Pelt and Russillo, two of the brighter guys on sports radio, were discussing UCLA with Andy Katz and how these "mid-tier" jobs are really not viewed by many coaches as a lesser job than the first tier jobs...they might make 30% less or so, but they are able to win their league most years, they are comfortable with whom they work, they don't have the huge spotlight on them, and so generally they have a very high quality of life.

Plus with the cost of living, that 30% is almost wiped out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)

Going with what you're saying, the expectations at their current schools aren't winning 30 games and winning National Championships. For all intents and purposes, they're still among the best teams in the country, even if it's without top of the line talent, and they'll continue getting births and advancing in the tournament.

The other thing, too, is that it's hard to uproot from one region to another. I don't see Stevens leaving unless it's to a B1G school (people talk Indiana a lot if Crean were to ever be let go, but he would have been a great fit at Illinois and would be a good fit at Ohio State and Wisconsin too and I don't see why he wouldn't fit in well at either Michigan school). UCLA never seemed like a fit for Stevens or Smart.

I just saw it mentioned/speculated in a headline, but a guy from a mid-major power that atleast makes some sense is Mark Few.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Jim Boeheim on Indiana last night:

"They never really succeeded in getting the ball in the right places," Boeheim said about the Hoosiers. "And it's not that easy, but it can be done. But they didn't know how to do that."

Coaching coaching coaching

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Jim Boeheim on Indiana last night:

"They never really succeeded in getting the ball in the right places," Boeheim said about the Hoosiers. "And it's not that easy, but it can be done. But they didn't know how to do that."

How dare you question Crean, Mr. Boeheim.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Good move for Alford to get out of New Mexico. Seemed like he reached his ceiling there.

Good hire for UCLA? Not as sure about that.

My thoughts exactly. His personality is definitely better for it than Stevens's or Smart's...but that's about it.

EDIT: He can recruit well, and he may be successful at UCLA. But I'm skeptical this was the best UCLA could do, and if it was, they've fallen further than they realize.

Edited by farmteam