2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
The AD's definitely gone, but hell, if I were the president right now I'd be worried. He saw the video in the fall too. When the governor is pissed, you have problems.

IMO, this was kept quiet until they had the B1G deal signed.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
This may be more towards the Illini fans here, but thought Groce's speech starting at around the 21:50 mark was pretty great.

Also a pretty crazy look into the emotions after a Tourney loss.

Again, starts around the 21:50 mark.

That was pretty great stuff, thanks for sharing.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
Quite possible. I don't think this is really that big of a deal for the B1G, but Delany isn't going to be happy.

I think it would be a PR nightmare if this was released before/during the B1G announcement.

Now it's far enough out that most don't think about it, plus it's not like Rutger's basketball is what the B1G was really after.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
I understand they didnt turn out as great as Illinois fans wanted, but that Paul/DJ hug at the end is telling. That team with Leonard and even Richmond cold have been final 4 worthy.

Saw that earlier today, good idea to share here.

I would have thought that was incredible even if it wasn't Illinois. But seeing Groce deliver that makes me even more confident.

I've said it a few times, I could be way wrong, but I truly believe in Groce and I think we'll be back to where we were in the early to mid 2000's in a few years. I think he is THE guy for this job, couldn't be happier we lucked into him after being rejected by the other choices.

Also hats off to the seniors, they battled the whole season when they could have just mailed it in, not listened or bought in, etc. They represented the university well which is all you can ask for.

We will be back.

s***, now I sound like an IU fan years ago :lol:

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
Saw that earlier today, good idea to share here.

I would have thought that was incredible even if it wasn't Illinois. But seeing Groce deliver that makes me even more confident.

I've said it a few times, I could be way wrong, but I truly believe in Groce and I think we'll be back to where we were in the early to mid 2000's in a few years. I think he is THE guy for this job, couldn't be happier we lucked into him after being rejected by the other choices.

Also hats off to the seniors, they battled the whole season when they could have just mailed it in, not listened or bought in, etc. They represented the university well which is all you can ask for.

We will be back.

s***, now I sound like an IU fan years ago :lol:

I agree with everything here.

I love the way Groce talks, he controls the room but not through volume or ego, but with a mix of passion and focus. He knows exactly what to say, even in that speech he goes back to Toughness and Togetherness.

He's got great potential, but I really hope he succeeds at Illinois because so far he's exactly the type of guy that I want to represent the university.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
I understand they didnt turn out as great as Illinois fans wanted, but that Paul/DJ hug at the end is telling. That team with Leonard and even Richmond cold have been final 4 worthy.

They were two good guys and damn fine players. What a chance we squandered with that group plus Leonard last year, would have been great to see what they could have done this year with a new man at the helm. Can't blame Meyers for leaving, though I think he could have gotten himself to #1 overall type status with this draft class and the improvements I would have expected him to make.

There were some frustrating and tough times for sure, and sometimes I think Groce didn't do well, but I really am pleased with how we finished. Had some great marquee wins and moments and that last game against Miami was one of the best coached games I've seen from an Illinois coach in a while. It is rare that the team I like outcoaches its opponent...it was nice. It sucks that we lost, but we showed that we belonged.

We have a good class coming in next year and are in on some good guys for the 2014 HS class, so I'm cautiously optimistic for the future despite the big losses of Paul and DJ.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
Okafor has been retweeting Illinois fans begging him to choose Illinois. Sort of funny

Part of the game. You should see some of the football recruits these days, just playing fanbases against each other.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 07:02 AM)
Part of the game. You should see some of the football recruits these days, just playing fanbases against each other.

I know he is just having fun, he's RTed some Duke fans as well begging him to join Jabari next year. Cliff Alexander has done the same.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
They were two good guys and damn fine players. What a chance we squandered with that group plus Leonard last year, would have been great to see what they could have done this year with a new man at the helm. Can't blame Meyers for leaving, though I think he could have gotten himself to #1 overall type status with this draft class and the improvements I would have expected him to make.

There were some frustrating and tough times for sure, and sometimes I think Groce didn't do well, but I really am pleased with how we finished. Had some great marquee wins and moments and that last game against Miami was one of the best coached games I've seen from an Illinois coach in a while. It is rare that the team I like outcoaches its opponent...it was nice. It sucks that we lost, but we showed that we belonged.

We have a good class coming in next year and are in on some good guys for the 2014 HS class, so I'm cautiously optimistic for the future despite the big losses of Paul and DJ.

The key for my evaluation of Groce will be next year. If they get back into the tournament and win a game, give the guy a key to the University for another 10 years. If they go sub .500 start scouting around for another coach. If they hover around the bubble area, that's about what I expect.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
The key for my evaluation of Groce will be next year. If they get back into the tournament and win a game, give the guy a key to the University for another 10 years. If they go sub .500 start scouting around for another coach. If they hover around the bubble area, that's about what I expect.

Close to the same feelings. It's going to be really hard to make the tournament, obviously taking a significant step back next year. I just want to be competitive, show fight win or lose, etc. Bubble battle would be nice. Keep the momentum and mentality going and develop guys. If they are sub .500 in the league I won't freak out (hell, we were this year). Maybe you meant sub .500 overall, because that's a big difference.

You'll have the fans who don't pay attention to anything (losing almost your whole starting lineup and one senior left) saying "what happened, Illinois was up and coming and now they missed the tournament?" Can't wait for that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)

Should the bolded have been in green?

I think this year's Purdue team is probably a pretty good comparison to next year's Illini. You only have 5 scholarship players returning. The incoming class, while good, appears to lack any kind of instant impact talent (the kids will all play, but they have significant work to do to reach their potential). Not a lot of shooters on the roster (Henry is the best of the returning players). It will take a monumental leap from Abrams, Egwu and Henry to contend for the tournament next year.

Groce exceeded all expectations in Year 1. I haven't been this excited to follow recruiting since Self was at Illinois (remember that Self missed on a bunch of high profile guys, but just like with Groce, Illinois was on so many top 50 players' lists back then). If Illinois is struggling to make the tournament by the time '15 or '16 rolls around, you start looking, but to say that Groce's tenure at Illinois depends on a team with 5 freshman and 1 senior, I just don't get that statement.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
Should the bolded have been in green?

I think this year's Purdue team is probably a pretty good comparison to next year's Illini. You only have 5 scholarship players returning. The incoming class, while good, appears to lack any kind of instant impact talent (the kids will all play, but they have significant work to do to reach their potential). Not a lot of shooters on the roster (Henry is the best of the returning players). It will take a monumental leap from Abrams, Egwu and Henry to contend for the tournament next year.

Groce exceeded all expectations in Year 1. I haven't been this excited to follow recruiting since Self was at Illinois (remember that Self missed on a bunch of high profile guys, but just like with Groce, Illinois was on so many top 50 players' lists back then). If Illinois is struggling to make the tournament by the time '15 or '16 rolls around, you start looking, but to say that Groce's tenure at Illinois depends on a team with 5 freshman and 1 senior, I just don't get that statement.

I meant sub .500 overall.

But still, they have 2 starters coming back in Egwu and Abrams and two guys that played lot of minutes in Bertrand and Henry. I don't expect them to be GOOD, but I don't think the cupboard is totally bare and the expectation will be that they still contend for a tournament spot.

Ultimately you have to give Groce 3-4 years. I was just saying that if next year they really take a dive then you have to question this season. His success this year might be less about coaching and more about the drive of three seniors to leave the program on a good note. I think it's a mixture of both. Obviously the program is headed in the right direction and i'm excited about what he's doing on the recruiting trail. I'm just not ready to declare that he's going to get us back to the 98-2005 level where we're getting #1 seeds and winning conference and tournament titles. Next year will tell us more about his ability to coach/develop talent.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
I meant sub .500 overall.

But still, they have 2 starters coming back in Egwu and Abrams and two guys that played lot of minutes in Bertrand and Henry. I don't expect them to be GOOD, but I don't think the cupboard is totally bare and the expectation will be that they still contend for a tournament spot.

Ultimately you have to give Groce 3-4 years. I was just saying that if next year they really take a dive then you have to question this season. His success this year might be less about coaching and more about the drive of three seniors to leave the program on a good note. I think it's a mixture of both. Obviously the program is headed in the right direction and i'm excited about what he's doing on the recruiting trail. I'm just not ready to declare that he's going to get us back to the 98-2005 level where we're getting #1 seeds and winning conference and tournament titles. Next year will tell us more about his ability to coach/develop talent.

Of more concern to me is his ability to recruit - specifically land big-time guys. If he can get some of them, he will have us back to those levels. If he can't, we won't. I've seen enough of everything else to convince me he has those other things down pat.

I think he can get them, but time will tell.

Illinois just graduated 4 out of its 7 players who got significant regular minutes including its best 2 players and the only player capable of backing up center. Barring any amazing 5th year transfers, it would be one heck of a coaching job for Illinois to make it to the tournament next year.