2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Are there any actual IU grads on here? How do you feel about those players graduating in ALOT less time than you did?

Taking two terms of summer courses, I could have easily graduated in 3 years. To graduate you have to have a certain number of credit hours, so I don't get your point. The classes have to be taken. Plus, with advanced placement classes in HS now, its easy to walk in with credits if you are a good student in HS. Cody Zeller had 22 credits before starting due to advanced classes in HS. That's almost a full year. I think I entered with 6.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Taking two terms of summer courses, I could have easily graduated in 3 years. To graduate you have to have a certain number of credit hours, so I don't get your point. The classes have to be taken. Plus, with advanced placement classes in HS now, its easy to walk in with credits if you are a good student in HS. Cody Zeller had 22 credits before starting due to advanced classes in HS. That's almost a full year. I think I entered with 6.

I finished in 3.5 with a pair of minors and only having done geology field camp in the summer.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)

I took summer every year and went in with AP credits, Zeller must've taken over 6 AP courses? Wow. I wasnt bashing IU BTW just asking your impressions of that so no need to start putting up the defenses.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
I took summer every year and went in with AP credits, Zeller must've taken over 6 AP courses? Wow. I wasnt bashing IU BTW just asking your impressions of that so no need to start putting up the defenses.

You can test out of 3-4 years worth of language requirements also and that is a whole heaping pile of credits.

Ha I thought you were making a specific comment about Indiana.

I never took a summer class nor took more than 13 credits in a semester and I graduated in 3.5 years. So its not really that unheard of, I just know Indiana was having problems with people graduating in 4 years, at least back when I was in the College market.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
You can test out of 3-4 years worth of language requirements also and that is a whole heaping pile of credits.

Damn really? Is that new? That would have helped me ALOT. Instead I took the classes in college and they were the WORST. I tested/Ap'ed out of math and most of my science but still went to summer school every summer mostly because it was awesome being there in the summer.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Ha I thought you were making a specific comment about Indiana.

I never took a summer class nor took more than 13 credits in a semester and I graduated in 3.5 years. So its not really that unheard of, I just know Indiana was having problems with people graduating in 4 years, at least back when I was in the College market.

Nah, athletes in general get bulls*** classes and it pissed me off. One of the only science classes I took voluntarily was full of football and hockey players and I saw them the first day and last day and they all did better than me. They never even had to go to f***ing lab.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
Damn really? Is that new? That would have helped me ALOT. Instead I took the classes in college and they were the WORST. I tested/Ap'ed out of math and most of my science but still went to summer school every summer mostly because it was awesome being there in the summer.

Yeah, I was like 2 questions on the test away from testing out of the required 3 French classes completely. I had to take 1 semester of French. It was the only B+ I got as an undergrad. I'm still pissed at that country as a consequence.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, I was like 2 questions on the test away from testing out of the required 3 French classes completely. I had to take 1 semester of French. It was the only B+ I got as an undergrad. I'm still pissed at that country as a consequence.

That blows. I had to take 3 years of spanish in college and it drove me nuts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)

Interesting. At U of I if you take 4 years of high school language you fulfill the requirement for a language, but the hours do not count towards your total number for graduation. Fortunately I at least did not have to take a language, credit hours would have been nice though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Are there any actual IU grads on here? How do you feel about those players graduating in ALOT less time than you did?

I know there's at least Balta and I; not sure who else. There used to be someone who posted here (like 5+ years ago) by the name of "redandwhite" that I think went there.

I graduated in the typical four years with two majors (technically it was a "dual degree" since one of my majors was within the Kelley School of Business and the other was within the College of Arts and Sciences) and one minor. I also entered with 16 credits (I think I got 6 from AP tests, and 10 from the entrance language exams for Spanish). I also took 1 class (at a community college near my parents' house; the credit transferred but the grade did not) each of my first two summers in college. As others have noted, I don't really care, since they take a lot of summer classes, and usually only have 1 major. Put another way, it's definitely something anyone could do if they were ok with taking a lot of classes during the summers and taking as few credits as possible (ie, fewer majors/minors).

I had 36 or 38 AP credits and passed on 20 retro French credits out of fear my parents wouldnt let me stay in College for 4 years. I just couldnt figure out any way to convince them that taking only 8 credits a semester was legitimate.

Which is why I so clearly remember the Indiana thing, they were pitching 5th year free and my family was wondering what type of disaster would have to occur for me to stay 5.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
I was able to test out of taking math courses and foreign language courses. I had nearly a semester's worth of credits before stepping foot on campus.

Damn. Ours only tested us out of classes we didnt get any credits.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Which is why I so clearly remember the Indiana thing, they were pitching 5th year free and my family was wondering what type of disaster would have to occur for me to stay 5.

I never heard of that when I was at IU. In fact, it would have been the opposite for me, since the scholarship I got when I started was only food for 4 years of undergrad; after that I would have been on my own

WOOO. Iowa State gets Matt Thomas, who Dan Dakich (FWIW) says has the best shooting touch in the class. It's also nice we got him over Wisconsin and Marquette (for once).

I imagine him and the Mayor will shoot jumpers together deep into the night.

Crean is pushing full class loads and summer courses on the athletes that can handle it, which is a good idea since he'll be oversigning so much. Peegs is interviewing about 5 prospects a week it seems that have visited IU and it seems Oladipo is just on another level, along with Zeller (also heard great things about Sheehey). Couple top 20 prospects in 2013 and 2014 scrimmaged with the team and said there's just no way Vic and Cody will be back in 2013. Couple that with 5-6 NBA scouts that have made it into open gyms saying Oladipo looks like a first rounder, I'm interested to see just how unstoppable this kid has become. The last 6-8 games of the season he was one of the best players in the country at getting to the rim. I went back and watched the UK game in the NCAA tournament... He drove 9 times, and scored 7 times on Miller/Gilchrist and Davis. Should be a great, great year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
Nah, athletes in general get bulls*** classes and it pissed me off. One of the only science classes I took voluntarily was full of football and hockey players and I saw them the first day and last day and they all did better than me. They never even had to go to f***ing lab.

Thats's OSU for you baby! jk I don't even know if you graduated from OSU. There is no doubt some majors are easier than others. Many athletes major in general studies, whatever the hell that means.

I can give you a situation that I saw in college, many moons ago. I had three bball players in Econ 101. Their academic advisor required them to complete a study guide of 400 questions. She graded it and gave it back to them and made them correct all of the wrong answers until they had it all correct. Of course they were smart enough to each do 100 questions (I was the 4th) so they didn't have to do all of them. It typically took 2-3 rounds before all answers were correct. What ultimately happened (and we didn't know it the first time) was that the study guide was the test guide for that book, meaning of the 400 we had to do and study, 80 of those exact questions were the test. Needless to say we all did well, but at the same time the work had to be done and 400 questions had to be studied. I actually learned more that way and ended up tutoring economics as a senior. I did have an advantage other students didn't, but we weren't getting off without doing the work either.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Thats's OSU for you baby! jk I don't even know if you graduated from OSU. There is no doubt some majors are easier than others. Many athletes major in general studies, whatever the hell that means.

Miami University, so a lot less athletically focused than Big Ten caliber schools. Just shows you.

And OSU is one of two big ten teams that was honored for their APR, so they are clearly doing something right or have really really good study tables.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Crean is pushing full class loads and summer courses on the athletes that can handle it, which is a good idea since he'll be oversigning so much. Peegs is interviewing about 5 prospects a week it seems that have visited IU and it seems Oladipo is just on another level, along with Zeller (also heard great things about Sheehey). Couple top 20 prospects in 2013 and 2014 scrimmaged with the team and said there's just no way Vic and Cody will be back in 2013. Couple that with 5-6 NBA scouts that have made it into open gyms saying Oladipo looks like a first rounder, I'm interested to see just how unstoppable this kid has become. The last 6-8 games of the season he was one of the best players in the country at getting to the rim. I went back and watched the UK game in the NCAA tournament... He drove 9 times, and scored 7 times on Miller/Gilchrist and Davis. Should be a great, great year.

If Oladipo can add even a decent outside shot (say, ~35-38% from 3-point) I have no doubt he'll be a first rounder, barring injury (which I always worry about with him given how he plays).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
If Oladipo can add even a decent outside shot (say, ~35-38% from 3-point) I have no doubt he'll be a first rounder, barring injury (which I always worry about with him given how he plays).

Looked like Yogi had a good game in that KY vs Indiana all star game. Also looked like Gary Harris is about as good as I thought he would be.