2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Lyles is top 10 in 2014 (from all indications moving on up, likely top 5), which is considered to be one of the best classes in the past 10 years. 2012 was a "down" year nationally. Harris is the best player coming out of Indiana this year, but Lyles is the "best player" in Indiana. He's averaged a double double all since he stepped foot at Tech his freshman year, without even half the help Harris had at HSE (Irvin- who some consider the best 2013 in Indiana is heading to UM and Bledsoe who is mid major D1 point guard).

He plays like Carmelo in that tape, at 16.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Notre Dame has committed to 10 additional years of surprisingly good Big East records followed by underperforming in the conference and NCAA tournaments.

Did they move their non football sports to the Big 12 yet?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
He plays like Carmelo in that tape, at 16.

I think the accolades thrown at Lyles are fair and in no way diminish Gary Harris' abilities. I'm far from an established talent evaluator of 15-17 yr olds, but what I have seen of him (and was confirmed in the linked video) is a unique set of skills for a player of any age, let alone one who is just 16 and has two years of HS left.

He's 6'8 yet has the ability to handle the ball and distribute like a PG. He plays face up to the basket and can drive and finish or shoot from outside. How good his 3pt range is at this point I don't know, but I've seen video of him taking and making them. At the same time, he can play with his back to the basket and go either way, using both hands. Lastly, he appears to be a very strong rebounder averaging double digits in boards everywhere he goes.

Could he stagnate and be one of those guys that peaked early? Possibly. But I haven't heard anything indicating that he isn't the type to continue to work daily to improve. He may not have the skills of a 7' dominant big man and may not be as good as the best 3pt shooters or the best PG's in the land, but very few would have his overall skill set. It most definitely has IU fans excited not only about this year, but the future as well.

Indy Star is doing an online series rating the top 50 IU players of all-time. Sunday was #43. The next player is posted at 7 am each morning. So far the list includes:

50. Christian Watford

49. John Laskowski

48. Bracey Wright

47. Bill Menke

46. Michael Lewis

45. Keith Smart

44. Ralph Hamilton

43. Uwe Blab

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
For a program that has struggled immensely with the city of Chicago and all that comes with it, can't help but feel good and pumped going forward after reading this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/p...hire-for-illini

Sounds like they may just have locked down Parker, reading between the lines.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
For a program that has struggled immensely with the city of Chicago and all that comes with it, can't help but feel good and pumped going forward after reading this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/p...hire-for-illini

Wow. That's the first positive thing I've read about the future of Illinois basketball in years. Thank you.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Most expect it to be Michigan State or Duke still

Yup. ILL is a longshot. Having a coach that knows some people is one thing, but its not the only thing. Dont discount Kentucky's pull ($$) in Chicago while Cal is there either. Frankly I believe IU is going to start pulling Chi HARD.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
I doubt Parham is the key to anything. He was solid for ISU, but Muller didn't need him once he brought in Dana Ford and company.

You would have said this regardless. I'll take Chi coaches over your biased opinion.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
I doubt Parham is the key to anything. He was solid for ISU, but Muller didn't need him once he brought in Dana Ford and company.

I think it's mostly about getting him to open some doors for the rest of the staff. Groce is a pretty good recruiter, so if Parham can get him in the conversation with some of the 2nd tier recruits, Groce would presumably be able to close the deal with some of them. I'm not a huge fan of the hire myself, but there wasn't another candidate who really stood out to make this hire look bad.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
You would have said this regardless. I'll take Chi coaches over your biased opinion.

Honestly, I think they are mostly just happy that Illinois is giving them attention. For most of these guys, I'll believe what they're saying when I see it.

The guy is life-long friends with the coach of one of the top hoops programs in Chicago (Smith) and he coached in the Chicago public league before moving onto the college game. This was a home-run hire. He's an immediate connection to the majority of Chicago recruits. Doesn't guarantee success, but it's a foot already in the door for Groce to seal the deal.

Frankly at this point Illinois fans, myself included, need to step back and analyze the situation. There's been an entire change in the coaching/administrative portion of the basketball program. It's going to take time to get back to competing for conference titles year after year. Hopefully only a season or two, but it's going to take time and it's going to take a new roster.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Yup. ILL is a longshot. Having a coach that knows some people is one thing, but its not the only thing. Dont discount Kentucky's pull ($$) in Chicago while Cal is there either. Frankly I believe IU is going to start pulling Chi HARD.

Only one I can think of that IU is in on is Clff Alexander (Curie...2014 I think). Maybe one more that's escaping my mind.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)

Where is the link between Parham and Parker? That's all I'm saying. He's a good recruiter and good guy from everything I've heard. Good hire for Illinois just don't think he's the key to landing Parker.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
Where is the link between Parham and Parker? That's all I'm saying. He's a good recruiter and good guy from everything I've heard. Good hire for Illinois just don't think he's the key to landing Parker.

Please find where I said this.

But, no way we get Parker regardless. You aren't the best player in the country and go to Illinois. Not when you can go to ANY program you want to. It was the same thing with Davis. And though not the best, same thing with Scheyer. These aren't "misses." Players of that caliber are national stars, it's not a miss when Illinois doesn't get them.

If Parker some how goes to Champaign...well I don't even know how to finish this sentence. Get real.

Edited by IlliniKrush