2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
So my illini aren't gonna be good again this year? Havent followed them recently.

It's a transition year with the new coach, we'll see how they do. They've got talent still, but with a new coach coming in that wasn't highly talked about (positively) no one is going to be counting on big things from them.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 02:06 AM)
So he's academically qualified, but he wasn't good enough to get into Indiana. And, you say that Crean gave out one too many scholarships?

Hmm...

Er, not quite. He was academically qualified to get into the school...and then flunked summer school once he got there.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
Er, not quite. He was academically qualified to get into the school...and then flunked summer school once he got there.

It seems kind of convenient to me. The link you posted earlier said that he just "didn't meet the requirements," which consist of basically being academically qualified and having the Faculty Sponsorship Subcommittee agree that you can enter. Maybe he actually did fail in summer school, but something about the whole situation seems fishy to me. I mean it's not like a scholarship athlete is actually held to the same standards as a normal student.

I'm mostly just trying to take a jab at you IU fans, though :P

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 05:03 AM)
It seems kind of convenient to me. The link you posted earlier said that he just "didn't meet the requirements," which consist of basically being academically qualified and having the Faculty Sponsorship Subcommittee agree that you can enter. Maybe he actually did fail in summer school, but something about the whole situation seems fishy to me. I mean it's not like a scholarship athlete is actually held to the same standards as a normal student.

I'm mostly just trying to take a jab at you IU fans, though :P

Basically, he got into IU because Crean went to bat for him (like he did Wade and Creek in the past). He had to score a "C" or above in his two summer school classes to continue his education at IU. Coming from an extremely rough background, it was a great story he's even made it this far. He ended up getting a 2.0 and was denied admission a little while back. He appealed and went in front of an academic committee board where they made the final decision. If this was a scholarship issue, Crean and the rest of Indiana would be getting the crap sued out of them from everywhere. Ron's statement to the press pretty much says it all, he feels terrible. I think those that are saying this is a scholarship issue are going to look quite dumb when/if Indiana ends up with 12 scholarship players for the year, which is looking like a distinct possibility right now.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
Basically, he got into IU because Crean went to bat for him (like he did Wade and Creek in the past). He had to score a "C" or above in his two summer school classes to continue his education at IU. Coming from an extremely rough background, it was a great story he's even made it this far. He ended up getting a 2.0 and was denied admission a little while back. He appealed and went in front of an academic committee board where they made the final decision. If this was a scholarship issue, Crean and the rest of Indiana would be getting the crap sued out of them from everywhere. Ron's statement to the press pretty much says it all, he feels terrible. I think those that are saying this is a scholarship issue are going to look quite dumb when/if Indiana ends up with 12 scholarship players for the year, which is looking like a distinct possibility right now.

What? Who else, Creek?

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Jereme Richmond has enrolled at Arizona State. He can't play, right? Or can he but just not on scholarship?

Anyway, good for him to get away from some of the people he has been hanging with.

I don't think he can play at ASU because he played professionally.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)

I just don't get this mentality. Getting a "C" basically means that he needed to show up for class and pay attention for more than 5-10 minutes. If he was a decent enough student to get into IU, getting C's shouldn't be that difficult. It's not like he's taking AP classes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
I just don't get this mentality. Getting a "C" basically means that he needed to show up for class and pay attention for more than 5-10 minutes. If he was a decent enough student to get into IU, getting C's shouldn't be that difficult. It's not like he's taking AP classes.

Sounds like he was a provisional admission.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)

And like I, along with the articles have said, he was admitted through a faculty scholarship.

Not to rehash the Uthoff situation, but remember when Badger fans were crying foul that there was "meddling" while Uthoff was with Wisconsin by other teams (and then obviously Bo blocked him from going everywhere, until the media picked it up).. Well, situation is a little different as a letter of intent hasn't been signed (but still the same concept), but Ryan the Badger staff have apparently been poking around and hitting up Luke Fischer the past few weeks, though Luke continues to tell them he's committed to Indiana...

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Not to rehash the Uthoff situation, but remember when Badger fans were crying foul that there was "meddling" while Uthoff was with Wisconsin by other teams (and then obviously Bo blocked him from going everywhere, until the media picked it up).. Well, situation is a little different as a letter of intent hasn't been signed (but still the same concept), but Ryan the Badger staff have apparently been poking around and hitting up Luke Fischer the past few weeks, though Luke continues to tell them he's committed to Indiana...

Remember when Luke Fischer red-shirted for Indiana and was actually on the Indiana team?

Oh wait you are talking about a guy who hasnt even stepped foot on Indiana campus?

Nice troll, you get upset when Indiana got Eric Gordon?

Because Eric Gordon is comparable to Luke Fischer.

Uthoff would be comparable to Wisconsin trying to get Zeller to leave.

Can you understand the difference?

(edit)

And that is just me presuming its true, Im not even sure Wisconsin ever offered him.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
Remember when Luke Fischer red-shirted for Indiana and was actually on the Indiana team?

Oh wait you are talking about a guy who hasnt even stepped foot on Indiana campus?

Nice troll, you get upset when Indiana got Eric Gordon?

Because Eric Gordon is comparable to Luke Fischer.

Uthoff would be comparable to Wisconsin trying to get Zeller to leave.

Can you understand the difference?

(edit)

And that is just me presuming its true, Im not even sure Wisconsin ever offered him.

Hey like I said, different situation, same concept. I don't remember seeing any official ruling that Uthoff had been contacted by other schools while at UW, or there would have been NCAA action. Wisconsin didn't offer, but they are sure pushing for him now after he had a very, very good summer. All I'm saying is that many Wisconsin fans think Crean is as slimy as Cal, yet their own coach is out there recruiting committed players. Badger nation would be tripping over themselves running to Bloomington with torches if this were the other way around.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
Hey like I said, different situation, same concept. I don't remember seeing any official ruling that Uthoff had been contacted by other schools while at UW, or there would have been NCAA action. Wisconsin didn't offer, but they are sure pushing for him now after he had a very, very good summer. All I'm saying is that many Wisconsin fans think Crean is as slimy as Cal, yet their own coach is out there recruiting committed players. Badger nation would be tripping over themselves running to Bloomington with torches if this were the other way around.

No they wouldnt. Wisconsin has lost committed players before. The situations are not comparable at all. Tom Crean has recruited Wisconsin players after they committed before, so why would Ryan not recruit Crean players?

It would be completely negligent and derelict on his part. Furthermore, Indiana has a history (see Eric Gordon) of recruiting players already committed in the Big 10. Again why would Wisconsin let Indiana do it, and not do it themselves?

It would be complete stupidity.

How is it the same concept?

Why dont you show me a comparable situation, where Bo Ryan recruited a player who red-shirted for another Big 10 team and that player then went to Wisconsin on scholarship.

Otherwise its nothing more than a troll, and I hope that every Illinois fan destroys you for this hypocritical nonsense.

Only the worst homer Hoosier fan would complain about this, its sad actually.