2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
Right, meaning its not a reach that he'll move on from UK. He'll be in the NBA within 5 years.

What does he have to gain in the NBA? Right now he is his own boss. He has his own pick of free agents every single year. His fanbase adores him even if they happen to have a bad season(which may never happen).

He goes to the NBA, he has to listen to an owner, his roster is limited, he has to impress the corporate fanbase. Whats the point?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
What does he have to gain in the NBA? Right now he is his own boss. He has his own pick of free agents every single year. His fanbase adores him even if they happen to have a bad season(which may never happen).

He goes to the NBA, he has to listen to an owner, his roster is limited, he has to impress the corporate fanbase. Whats the point?

Yup, zero reason to leave unless you're running from the NCAA (see Pete Carroll).

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I guess nobody understood that's my point. Cal has been running from the NCAA his whole career.

If he is running, I could see him making the jump. But I think the point that is being made that you are missing is that Calipari really doesnt have to cheat anymore. The one and done rule is basically allowing him to choose his pick of the litter, run a NBA quality squad out there every night, possibly win a title, and turn the kids into millionaires in one season. He doesnt have to pay these kids, all he has to do is tell them "You will be on ESPN every night, you will be on a top 5 squad every day, and if you play your cards right you will be making millions after one season of UK".

So, unless he does something monumentally stupid like what happened with Rose, he should be fine.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
I know only a few here will care but Hinson has suspended Diamond Taylor indefinitely. DUI, I guess. We're in midseason form already.

I miss relevant Saluki basketball. Sigh

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Diamond Taylor adds to his Carbondale/Jackson County rap sheet with a DUI. And due to the APR hellhole that Lowery left SIU in, the team cannot afford to send him off.

Yay Chris Lowery. Thank you so much for being a quality coach and Alumni.

And in regards to your relevance statement, Hinson is working on it

name='KyYlE23' date='Oct 5, 2012 -> 09:09 AM' post='2713237']

Hinson actually got a really decent recruit to verbal to SIU, Sean O'Brien from Mundelein

I have covered O'Brien the past few years and while he is athletic, he is very inconsistent. Not much of a shooter but can rebound and plays taller than he really is.

We will see this year because the best player on Mundelein tore his ACL in the summer and is out for the year or most of it. Lots on Sean's shoulders. We'll see but I have never seen much of a leadership role from him yet. Hope he succeeds obviously.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)

Not to mention dealing with NBA egos...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
I think there was way more talent on the board last year, although some players could step up once this season progresses.

Thats the way it looks every year though. I am just waiting on that year where its completely stacked and everyone says THIS is the year that all teams are good.

Mizzou is going to be a fun experiment this year. Loads of experienced talent that have not played very long together.

Pressey, Dixon, Bowers, Oriakhi is a good core. Then you have Criswell Keion Bell Earnest Ross and Jabari Brown (December). Lots of talent there and Bell and Ross luckily practiced with the team all year. But anything could happen.

Maybe they'll even get out of the first round.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
Thats the way it looks every year though. I am just waiting on that year where its completely stacked and everyone says THIS is the year that all teams are good.

No joke. It's the same thing said every year. You know in the end, many of the freshman will "surprise", just like they do every year and shoot up that list. Fully expect to see Dekker, McGary/Robinson, and Ferrell on there when it's all said and done. OSU will have a few of their sophomores on the list after they prove they can play.

One thing I predict is that Michigan won't be as good as some expect. I think the B1G will go through IU/OSU/UW. Still not sold on MSU without Draymond, even though they will have a good chunk of talent. Next year they should be nasty.

Another thing is that I expect Oladipo too absolutely shoot up that list. I honestly believe he could end up in the top 25.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 07:23 AM)
No joke. It's the same thing said every year. You know in the end, many of the freshman will "surprise", just like they do every year and shoot up that list. Fully expect to see Dekker, McGary/Robinson, and Ferrell on there when it's all said and done. OSU will have a few of their sophomores on the list after they prove they can play.

One thing I predict is that Michigan won't be as good as some expect. I think the B1G will go through IU/OSU/UW. Still not sold on MSU without Draymond, even though they will have a good chunk of talent. Next year they should be nasty.

Another thing is that I expect Oladipo too absolutely shoot up that list. I honestly believe he could end up in the top 25.

Michigan is going to have a lot of ego on that team. I fully expect Robinson to have a tough freshman year. In the four years I watched him, I was not impressed with his work ethic or toughness.