2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
How long of a grace period do Illinois fans get to lame Bruce Weber for any struggles they have from now on? Even if he has success at Kansas State this year?

What does Weber's succes (or lack thereof) this year have to do with Illinois? That's him coaching with someone else's players. He did a great job of that in Champaign, his struggles came with the players he had to bring in.

Your question was in spite, but I will answer it honsetly anyway. Personally, I give Groce two years, then I will expect some major improvement by 2014-2015. In today's NCAA, your freshmen/sophomores need to contribute majorly, no excuses that they need to get older and develop.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
How long of a grace period do Illinois fans get to lame Bruce Weber for any struggles they have from now on? Even if he has success at Kansas State this year?

Did you see who Bruce made as his Asst head coach? That thing is going to go down hard.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
What does Weber's succes (or lack thereof) this year have to do with Illinois? That's him coaching with someone else's players. He did a great job of that in Champaign, his struggles came with the players he had to bring in.

Your question was in spite, but I will answer it honsetly anyway. Personally, I give Groce two years, then I will expect some major improvement by 2014-2015. In today's NCAA, your freshmen/sophomores need to contribute majorly, no excuses that they need to get older and develop.

Not in spite and he does have a few of his players he recruited with him. Just sounds weak to blame him for any shortcomings this year. Move on. Not his fault Richmond was a Dbag.

Groce is making a good first impression. I hope Paul is great this year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
Did you see who Bruce made as his Asst head coach? That thing is going to go down hard.

I did. The least amount of pull Lowery has, the better for KState.

Watching Calipari talk on this Kentucky All Access show, he just comes across like he is full of it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
Not in spite and he does have a few of his players he recruited with him. Just sounds weak to blame him for any shortcomings this year. Move on. Not his fault Richmond was a Dbag.

Groce is making a good first impression. I hope Paul is great this year.

I see, I get your point. Still just a bit frustrated over the 2 tourney apps in 5 years, the worst stretch in 30 years in Illinois. It was more than just Richmond, but it is time to move on, whatever.

I do like Groce and I am expecting some big things. From what I hear about his offense, Paul could definitely flourish this year.

I think this upcoming year with Abrams/Richardson/Paul and to a lesser extent Bertrand/Langford the Illini will be in decent shape with Groce offense in place. It is the season after next I expect struggles with Paul/Richardson gone and the only real ball handler on the team being Abrams. But, with how aggressive Groce seems to be on the recruiting trail, after being here a year and especially if he shows some instant succcess I expect some big recruits like we never came close too under Bruce Weber.

I'm still hoping Weber does well at Kansas State or hopefully if that tanks he can go back to SIU and make them relevant again, I just think his system works better at mid major level unless given top players which he wasn't able to land himself.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
I think this upcoming year with Abrams/Richardson/Paul and to a lesser extent Bertrand/Langford the Illini will be in decent shape with Groce offense in place. It is the season after next I expect struggles with Paul/Richardson gone and the only real ball handler on the team being Abrams. But, with how aggressive Groce seems to be on the recruiting trail, after being here a year and especially if he shows some instant succcess I expect some big recruits like we never came close too under Bruce Weber.

I'm still hoping Weber does well at Kansas State or hopefully if that tanks he can go back to SIU and make them relevant again, I just think his system works better at mid major level unless given top players which he wasn't able to land himself.

They should upset some teams at home but I fully expect them to be middle of the pack. Groce IMO is a good fit for recruiting chicago-area wings and will run an exciting up tempo offense that will draw in fans and excitement more than Bruce's motion did.

Illinois may want to consider a new stadium. Arguably the 3 most consistent teams of the last 10 years or so all have newer facilities.

OSU has Value City opened in 1998

Wisconsin has the Kohl opened in 1998

MSU, Breslin Center 1989

Illinois, Assembly Hall 1963.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
Illinois may want to consider a new stadium. Arguably the 3 most consistent teams of the last 10 years or so all have newer facilities.

OSU has Value City opened in 1998

Wisconsin has the Kohl opened in 1998

MSU, Breslin Center 1989

Illinois, Assembly Hall 1963.

It's in the works. Or I should say a huge renovation is.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)

They have the transfer, Rice, from Drake coming in next year. He's high major talent that got stuck in a mid-major. That and he already got a decent recruiting class his first 6 months on the job (top 15 nationally...for now anyway) and he's set up with a lot of guys in 2014 and 2015. He's going to get the players, that's not the concern. The concern is how will he do against the Big Ten heavies. My heart says they can surprise some people this year and make the tournament. Having 2 senior guards and a third senior wing should be worth something. But yeah, at least 2 years before the grumbling begins.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 08:30 PM)
They have the transfer, Rice, from Drake coming in next year. He's high major talent that got stuck in a mid-major. That and he already got a decent recruiting class his first 6 months on the job (top 15 nationally...for now anyway) and he's set up with a lot of guys in 2014 and 2015. He's going to get the players, that's not the concern. The concern is how will he do against the Big Ten heavies. My heart says they can surprise some people this year and make the tournament. Having 2 senior guards and a third senior wing should be worth something. But yeah, at least 2 years before the grumbling begins.

Didn't know that about Rice, I look at Illinoisloyalty a lot and the hype around DJ and XRM were so high was deflating that got neither of them. I don't expect them to win the conference but I do think with this team Groce definitely can coach them into the dance. I'm hoping he has a stellar first season and with that he doesnt come in 2nd when next DJ/XRM come around.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
I wouldn't expect great things from Rayvonte Rice.

He was one of the more athletic HS kids I have seen in the last decade. Was he the one that was at Marquette before Drake? Usually more than 2 schools ina college career has to be a sign. If he was 6'6, I would be more excited about him.

I think ND will have a very good year.

Saw Seth davis went to IU practice this week and Louisville/OSU practice the next days. Said IU is on a whole other level than the rest of the teams. Should be a fun year. I think OSU will be very tough by the end of the year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
I think ND will have a very good year.

Saw Seth davis went to IU practice this week and Louisville/OSU practice the next days. Said IU is on a whole other level than the rest of the teams. Should be a fun year. I think OSU will be very tough by the end of the year.

To be accurate, what he said was the they were a better team because of their tremendous depth.

And I think he just just still salty from SAm Thompson slapping his nuts on Seth's head:

http://ptch.com/ptch/5078c40c8d4f983d4fa0c7a9

The big weakness of the other Big Ten teams IMO is depth. OSU has barely any quality post players or scorers other than Thomas, Michigan is relying on big years from freshman, and MSU's best player is also a frosh. Indiana has the ability to change their entire look with quality bench players and also talented freshman.

Obviously i know most about OSU because they're my team and we will be just an also-ran if guys like Zelle and Shannon Scott havent learned to drive the offense and we are betting BIG TIME on LaQuinton Ross to be a huge scorer from the wings. If none of that materializes it will be a disappointing year for sure.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
To be accurate, what he said was the they were a better team because of their tremendous depth.

And I think he just just still salty from SAm Thompson slapping his nuts on Seth's head:

http://ptch.com/ptch/5078c40c8d4f983d4fa0c7a9

The big weakness of the other Big Ten teams IMO is depth. OSU has barely any quality post players or scorers other than Thomas, Michigan is relying on big years from freshman, and MSU's best player is also a frosh. Indiana has the ability to change their entire look with quality bench players and also talented freshman.

Obviously i know most about OSU because they're my team and we will be just an also-ran if guys like Zelle and Shannon Scott havent learned to drive the offense and we are betting BIG TIME on LaQuinton Ross to be a huge scorer from the wings. If none of that materializes it will be a disappointing year for sure.

Huge Sam Thompson fan. Looks like IU/OSU/Cuse are going to be in a for a battle for Mr. Noah Vonleh's services here in the next few months. Kid is an absolute freak. Will be a fun year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Huge Sam Thompson fan. Looks like IU/OSU/Cuse are going to be in a for a battle for Mr. Noah Vonleh's services here in the next few months. Kid is an absolute freak. Will be a fun year.

Matta has been whiffing on almost every touted recruit over the last year and a half, it would be a nice change to actually get one.

Thompson has put on about 15-20 lbs according to insiders, I just hope he's put on a jumper to go with it.

I think OSU and Michigan are both a bit high. They both have some question marks with the new faces breaking into their lineup. I personally don't see a ton of difference between 2 and 6 in the conference (and even with Indiana, they need to defend better) and those teams will all beat each other up a bit in conference. I'd have MSU, OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin all in the 10-20 range with Minnesota slightly lower.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I think OSU and Michigan are both a bit high. They both have some question marks with the new faces breaking into their lineup. I personally don't see a ton of difference between 2 and 6 in the conference (and even with Indiana, they need to defend better) and those teams will all beat each other up a bit in conference. I'd have MSU, OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin all in the 10-20 range with Minnesota slightly lower.

Losing one of the best players in College bball should hurt quite a bit, I'm not sold on this version of the Buckeyes. Basically no low post game and one player taking a large percentage of your shots from the wing. Ross is the key of the offense and dominated the summer camp circuit but he's a huge question mark. I think we all end up in the teens yet do some serious damage in the tourney because I still think its the best conference in the country.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
When it's all said and done I think we'll see Missouri in the top 10 at the end of the regular season.

Didn't realize yall were supposed to be that good... The SEC East is going to be loaded this year. I fully expect Tennessee to be a Top 25 team.