2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Didn't realize yall were supposed to be that good... The SEC East is going to be loaded this year. I fully expect Tennessee to be a Top 25 team.

Returning Phil Pressey and Mike Dixon. Added Alex Oriakhi to be Center. Returning Lawrence Bowers (last year he had torn ACL, was our best player imho before last year, or at least a toss-up with Denmon). And we filled the 3 with a # of players. Keion Bell from Pepperdine, Earnest Ross from Auburn as backup PG, and in December former 5-star recruit Jabari Brown from Oregon is eligible. And Tony Criswell should be a big body.

And yesterday Johnathan Williams III just signed on for 2013.

I'm excited. We won't have 30 wins again. But the hard thing about last year was we absolutely could not get in foul trouble, so on defense it was hard to play aggressive. Now we have oodles of depth (13 scholarship to 7 players last year!), so playing time will be the question.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
Returning Phil Pressey and Mike Dixon. Added Alex Oriakhi to be Center. Returning Lawrence Bowers (last year he had torn ACL, was our best player imho before last year, or at least a toss-up with Denmon). And we filled the 3 with a # of players. Keion Bell from Pepperdine, Earnest Ross from Auburn as backup PG, and in December former 5-star recruit Jabari Brown from Oregon is eligible. And Tony Criswell should be a big body.

I'm excited. We won't have 30 wins again. But the hard thing about last year was we absolutely could not get in foul trouble, so on defense it was hard to play aggressive. Now we have oodles of depth (13 scholarship to 7 players last year!), so playing time will be the question.

That's a big pick up. I somehow missed that news... Tennessee was recruiting him pretty hard, though we're really hoping to fill our last spot with 5-star Austin Nichols (another wing-type out of Memphis).

I'm hoping his injury history is due to just growing pains into a 6'9 body. Really excited by the lamar odom comparisons, which would do well in our offense (lamar odom would do well in any offense, him in his rhode island days were insane).

I'm excited, specially after the horribly depressing football season. I'm hoping the fact that keion bell and ross et all were practicing with team all last year means more continuity than you'd expect with 8 guys playing together for first time. But chemistry matters a lot in basketball.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)

If not for Teague, I'd want Flip on the Bulls. He's 6'0 (don't let anyone say differently, I've bumped into him at lunch the past few days and he's a good two inches taller than me, and I'm 5'10) but he's an aggressive defender, can run a point, and I feel would be good running an NBA bench. I won't be surprised if he's an All-American.

Dixon is your prototypical 6th man that can light it up or go cold. He'll be plenty aggressive though.

Oriakhi is big and useful on offense. I loved Steve Moore's heart and hustle, but Oriakhi is the same size with longer arms and offense.

Bowers is going to be nasty. His ACL tear might remove some of his hops, but he looked fine at Mizzou Madness.

Keion can jump out of the gym (see his dunk over 6 people that was an SC top play and in my opinion his least impressive dunk). Don't know how he'll do, but his athleticism is off the charts. Ross looks ok at backup PG.

Jabari Brown's shot is so smooth. He impressed me the most at Mizzou Madness. His release was so effortless and efficient.

Also, Ryan Rosburg and Stefan Jankovic caught my eye as big bodies. Both are big bodies. Rosburg has a much larger frame than his brother and was going toe-to-toe with Oriakhi. Jankovic had legit hops as a 6-11 guy, but he's a little raw.

Also, despite only two guys who played last year returning in Flip and Dixon, Bowers was out with injury but around the team, Ross, Bell, and Brown practiced last year after transferring, Oriakhi played AAU ball with Flip and they are ALWAYS eating together in the Student Center, and Rosburg hung around the team last year when his brother was here. Chemistry should be good.

Also, http://www.mutigers.com/allaccess/?media=341265

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
That would be a sweet kick in the nuts to Kentucky.

That it would be. I forgot to mention (though it says so at the link) the Louisville AD mentioned the home-and-home for basketball AND football. That's why I really like it. I want to add a frequent non-conference opponent that isn't Ball State, and Louisville seems like a solid choice.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
That it would be. I forgot to mention (though it says so at the link) the Louisville AD mentioned the home-and-home for basketball AND football. That's why I really like it. I want to add a frequent non-conference opponent that isn't Ball State, and Louisville seems like a solid choice.

That would be an awesome travel game.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)

With Pitino down there for basketball, it will be a great series for both schools.

I really wish ISU could do more home-and-homes with Big Ten schools....specifically Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana. We've got Michigan coming to Hilton in 2013-14, and we've had Minnesota recently, but it'd be sweet to get one Big Ten team on the schedule every year (Iowa doesn't count)

It's a terrible idea for football from Louisville's standpoint. They're probably going to go 12-0 this year and will be lucky to be ranked in the Top 10 because their schedule is so poor. If they can't find their way out of the Big East and hope to compete for a championship in football, they need to be looking for home and home series with the other end of the Big Ten standings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Benji, the 30 for 30 tonight, might be one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Cool, I've been waiting for that one to come out, got it on the DVR ready to watch.

For all the garbage that ESPN produces nowadays, 30 for 30 is the one thing they have done right.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Benji, the 30 for 30 tonight, might be one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

The whole funeral footage in the gym was tough to watch. I was only 5 when it happened but always heard about him.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Sounds like Troy Williams to IU by this weekend. BeeJay Anya to follow next week.

How do they have scholarships to bring in Williams and Anya? They are currently one over, assuming everyone committed signs (though Zeller goes pro, that takes care of that issue). Creek probably doesn't come back for his final year of eligibility. But they are still oversigned by one with Williams and Anya.

I work with a lot of IU fans (sigh) and there is some concern amongst them that Crean is going to be running off Indiana kids to bring in talented kids from out of state and that might lead to a backlash against IU from the coaches in state. Curious to hear your thoughts.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
How do they have scholarships to bring in Williams and Anya? They are currently one over, assuming everyone committed signs (though Zeller goes pro, that takes care of that issue). Creek probably doesn't come back for his final year of eligibility. But they are still oversigned by one with Williams and Anya.

I work with a lot of IU fans (sigh) and there is some concern amongst them that Crean is going to be running off Indiana kids to bring in talented kids from out of state and that might lead to a backlash against IU from the coaches in state. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I really have no idea and I've come to realize there's no use fretting about it. The staff will figure it out. It could get even worse, as I know they are still going to pursue Vonleh (and they actually are perceived to be the leader along with 'Cuse). We'd have the 3 seniors and Zeller gone which will cover the first four commits... After that, everyones guessing. But I'd guess Creek won't be back as his GF just had a kid. Oladipo/Sheehey have both jumped on the NBA radar. If IU has a great year, I see Oladipo leaving because of the following years draft class being so ridiculously stacked.

Also, with as much talent as IU currently has, someone is bound to be unhappy with playing time. We shall see. I do know Zeller was ready to pay his own way this year if Patterson would have not had his incident. Zeller is living off campus with Luke and his wife.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
I really have no idea and I've come to realize there's no use fretting about it. The staff will figure it out. It could get even worse, as I know they are still going to pursue Vonleh (and they actually are perceived to be the leader along with 'Cuse). We'd have the 3 seniors and Zeller gone which will cover the first four commits... After that, everyones guessing. But I'd guess Creek won't be back as his GF just had a kid. Oladipo/Sheehey have both jumped on the NBA radar. If IU has a great year, I see Oladipo leaving because of the following years draft class being so ridiculously stacked.

Also, with as much talent as IU currently has, someone is bound to be unhappy with playing time. We shall see. I do know Zeller was ready to pay his own way this year if Patterson would have not had his incident. Zeller is living off campus with Luke and his wife.

I gotta think Etherington would want out. I mean, I get he's really the one who really started all the recruiting momentum, but he's a good player that's just absolutely buried on the depth chart. He could be on a Penn State-like team and probably be the best player.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I gotta think Etherington would want out. I mean, I get he's really the one who really started all the recruiting momentum, but he's a good player that's just absolutely buried on the depth chart. He could be on a Penn State-like team and probably be the best player.

We've seen a short bench and lack of playing time hurt my buckeyes depth and also in recruiting a little bit. Its tough to play alot of players especially in conference when your top 5 are probably NBA bound.