2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Michigan ranked #5? Yikes. Figured too much youth to be that high and no real big guy yet.

Not sure about that. You have in theory a one and done big man in Mcg. Those guys have to contribute in today's game. Burke is also probably nba bound after this season, he's that good.

I'm actually most excited about the pg play and matchups in the conference this year. There are some very good ones.

Tennessee and Georgia Tech had a "secret" scrimmage today where media wasn't allowed and no one is allowed to talk about it, report a score, etc. But, more than one source has said Tennessee dominated (without arguably our best player). Getting me excited for basketball season.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:42 AM)
Tennessee and Georgia Tech had a "secret" scrimmage today where media wasn't allowed and no one is allowed to talk about it, report a score, etc. But, more than one source has said Tennessee dominated (without arguably our best player). Getting me excited for basketball season.

It's not surprising, GT is going to suck again in basketball this year until they start benching their veterans for their more talented young player. With that said, UT has 3 very good players in Golden, Stokes and Maymon.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
It's not surprising, GT is going to suck again in basketball this year until they start benching their veterans for their more talented young player. With that said, UT has 3 very good players in Golden, Stokes and Maymon.

I figured I'd draw you out with that mention of Georgia Tech and was hoping to get your opinion on the GT team this year. I guess you pretty much answered that. I know they were bad last year, but the sports talk shows in Atlanta seem to be pumping them up. I guess that's just because it's a new year and they're trying to get the fans fired up.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)

Fight Club, basketball style.

So with the Illinois football team being abysmal, and the way Groce has impressed everyone in recruiting and with interviews thus far, I simply am pumped for this season.

I know we'll struggle at times as we need a true PG for Groce's system, but I think this team is going to grow throughout the year and hopefully make the tourney.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
So with the Illinois football team being abysmal, and the way Groce has impressed everyone in recruiting and with interviews thus far, I simply am pumped for this season.

I know we'll struggle at times as we need a true PG for Groce's system, but I think this team is going to grow throughout the year and hopefully make the tourney.

Yup, can't wait to watch some games. I know we won't be great - but we do have some talent, so we shouldn't be terrible. Combine that with good coaching this year (even if he can't play his true style), and I think this team will be fun to watch. Should have a good compete level. Win or lose, that's a easier to take. I'm looking for the "we look competent, win or lose" team that we aren't getting out of football.

It's possible we could make the tournament, but it's not exactly a great year to be in the BT. Going to be tough to pull some upsets. Maybe BP and DJ decide they want to make the tournament, and come up with some big games to sneak in. One way or another we're probably on the bubble in March.

Groce has me excited. It's going to take time for him to hopefully turn it all around, but I'm looking forward to it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
Fight Club, basketball style.

Haha, I know, right? It's an interesting thing. I had never heard of something like this, but the NCAA allows D1 teams to scrimmage each other in place of playing an exhibition game. The difference is they don't allow the scrimmage to officially be reported on. Coaches like it better because they get to play legit competition rather than some DIII school or whoever. I think it's a great idea.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)

ISU and Marquette just did the same thing. Heard it was about even. Also excited for the season to start.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Yup, can't wait to watch some games. I know we won't be great - but we do have some talent, so we shouldn't be terrible. Combine that with good coaching this year (even if he can't play his true style), and I think this team will be fun to watch. Should have a good compete level. Win or lose, that's a easier to take. I'm looking for the "we look competent, win or lose" team that we aren't getting out of football.

It's possible we could make the tournament, but it's not exactly a great year to be in the BT. Going to be tough to pull some upsets. Maybe BP and DJ decide they want to make the tournament, and come up with some big games to sneak in. One way or another we're probably on the bubble in March.

Groce has me excited. It's going to take time for him to hopefully turn it all around, but I'm looking forward to it.

Everything I've heard from players and coaches is that this team is hungry, from seniors down. I love hearing from Groce that he has never had as much fun at practices than with this team because of how hungry they are, how much they want to learn and get better.

It's just so different from the attitude we've seen in different years, we're our "leaders" felt like we were entitled to wins. This team is going to earn them (just look at Egwu taking shots before they even turn the lights on at the gym).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Everything I've heard from players and coaches is that this team is hungry, from seniors down. I love hearing from Groce that he has never had as much fun at practices than with this team because of how hungry they are, how much they want to learn and get better.

It's just so different from the attitude we've seen in different years, we're our "leaders" felt like we were entitled to wins. This team is going to earn them (just look at Egwu taking shots before they even turn the lights on at the gym).

Eh, I hear this crap every year. As Klee used to say, everything is perfect in the pre-season. Let's see how they talk/play in Jan-Feb. I expect them to be competitive with the attainable goal of reaching the tournament. They have enough talent. The question is whether they can buy into the system and get contributions from the young bigs.

My main point of emphasis? Improvement from November 1st to the end of the year. Every one of Weber's teams the last 4-5 seasons seemed to get worse as the year went on while everyone else in the conference got better. That needs to change under Groce if they're going to get back to the top of the league.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Eh, I hear this crap every year. As Klee used to say, everything is perfect in the pre-season. Let's see how they talk/play in Jan-Feb. I expect them to be competitive with the attainable goal of reaching the tournament. They have enough talent. The question is whether they can buy into the system and get contributions from the young bigs.

My main point of emphasis? Improvement from November 1st to the end of the year. Every one of Weber's teams the last 4-5 seasons seemed to get worse as the year went on while everyone else in the conference got better. That needs to change under Groce if they're going to get back to the top of the league.

Well look at Groce's history, it's the complete opposite where his teams get stronger and by tourney time they play their best basketball.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Uh oh, going to bring out the IU fans to try to debunk the whole "Creaning" thing.

Just wondering, they are about over and still are signing more players. Just seems odd. I know we are seeing increased interest from other players because they dont think there is room there.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
No they wouldnt. Wisconsin has lost committed players before. The situations are not comparable at all. Tom Crean has recruited Wisconsin players after they committed before, so why would Ryan not recruit Crean players?

It would be completely negligent and derelict on his part. Furthermore, Indiana has a history (see Eric Gordon) of recruiting players already committed in the Big 10. Again why would Wisconsin let Indiana do it, and not do it themselves?

It would be complete stupidity.

How is it the same concept?

Why dont you show me a comparable situation, where Bo Ryan recruited a player who red-shirted for another Big 10 team and that player then went to Wisconsin on scholarship.

Otherwise its nothing more than a troll, and I hope that every Illinois fan destroys you for this hypocritical nonsense.

Only the worst homer Hoosier fan would complain about this, its sad actually.

Ben Brust signed with Iowa, then Lickliter was sent packing and he was allowed to go to Wisconsin on scholarship from the get go. McCaffery could have pulled the same thing Bo did with Uthoff. Being signed in the Big Ten is basically the same status as anyone who is part of the team. I would think its the same concept as both players wanted to move on because they thought their style of play didn't match the coaching staff's style.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
How many schollies is IU allowed to have? More than every other team it seems.

Looks like, as it stands today, we would be 2 players over the limit next year if all the 2013 commits sign and no one were to leave early. Obviously, there's about a 98% chance Zeller is gone, so that just leaves 1. Granted, this assumes no more 2013 commits, and it sounds like Anya is a huge IU lean. Who knows.

Here's my take on the "Creaning" thing: I'm not particularly fond of it, but I also don't see a problem with it if these kids know what they're getting into. At the age of 17-18, these kids should be smart enough to say "Wow, this team already has too many commits, I'm not sure how I'll fit in." It's a little harder for the ones who commit early but are pushed out by later recruits, but they still haven't signed the LOI yet and can look other places, too.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Looks like, as it stands today, we would be 2 players over the limit next year if all the 2013 commits sign and no one were to leave early. Obviously, there's about a 98% chance Zeller is gone, so that just leaves 1. Granted, this assumes no more 2013 commits, and it sounds like Anya is a huge IU lean. Who knows.

Here's my take on the "Creaning" thing: I'm not particularly fond of it, but I also don't see a problem with it if these kids know what they're getting into. At the age of 17-18, these kids should be smart enough to say "Wow, this team already has too many commits, I'm not sure how I'll fit in." It's a little harder for the ones who commit early but are pushed out by later recruits, but they still haven't signed the LOI yet and can look other places, too.

Bulls***, if it wasn't your program you wouldn't rationalize it that way.... these are kids and this adult is promising them a future and than ripping it away because he overloaded it is 100% disgusting act. But, college athletics is full of people that do much worse things to get ahead sadly and kids and honest schools suffer from it.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Bulls***, if it wasn't your program you wouldn't rationalize it that way.... these are kids and this adult is promising them a future and than ripping it away because he overloaded it is 100% disgusting act. But, college athletics is full of people that do much worse things to get ahead sadly and kids and honest schools suffer from it.

I figured that would be the quick defensive mechanism, regardless of its validity.

The only way I have a problem with it is if Crean actively lies to the kids and says "Oh no don't worry, Austin Etherington and Remy Abell are going to transfer after this year, it's all good" or some other such garbage*, and it turns out it's not true and the kid relied on that in committing. Other than that, no, I can't really imagine the scenario.

*And Crean could be doing this already for all I know; I obviously hope not, but hard to know for sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Ben Brust signed with Iowa, then Lickliter was sent packing and he was allowed to go to Wisconsin on scholarship from the get go. McCaffery could have pulled the same thing Bo did with Uthoff. Being signed in the Big Ten is basically the same status as anyone who is part of the team. I would think its the same concept as both players wanted to move on because they thought their style of play didn't match the coaching staff's style.

Why are you resurrecting a comment from August?

Anyways its not comparable.

Ben Brust never received a dime from Iowa, Uthoff received a full years tuition.

Being signed is not the same as being on the team and practicing. Once again this is the first and only time Ryan ever put any restriction on any transferring player. A similar example (if you actually wanted to discuss instead of troll) would be Sharif Chamblisss who was released from PSU and paid his own way to Wisconsin, same as Uthoff.

http://badgerherald.com/sports/2004/02/25/..._finally_at.php

Chambliss left for Madison a happy man, knowing next season he would be a Badger. However, because Chambliss was transferring within the conference, he had to sit out a year and would not be eligible for a scholarship.

So why are you bringing this up?