2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
I think both teams slapped a ton and there could have been a million foul calls.

The bigger issue was when the fts were 10-1, even though both teams had the same amount of fouls. That is just very unusual, to have the same amount of fouls, but 10x more fts. I felt a few times Zeller was given the benefit of being "POY" candidate on both offense and defense.

Georgetown has no one to blame but themselves, they could have gone for the win, but didnt. Im not going to make excuses for Georgetown, they had their shot, they didnt take it.

The reffing seemed pretty even. A few went IU's way, a few went Georgetown's way. I think the disparity was in large part due to that Georgetown didn't drive anywhere near as much as Indiana, the Hoyas just put up a lot more jump shots instead.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)
What did he say, I missed it.

Just so I can quote him Im going back on my dvr:

Katz said:

The target is going to be on Indiana's back this season.

Crean:

The targets big, thats the way it is when your at Indiana. There are just a few programs in the country where it doesnt matter what your record is or what the standings are. Guys come to Indiana for that.

-----------------------------

Add his arrogant smirk and he is possibly the least likable person in the world.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Wrap your head around these numbers!!

138 points

52-108 FG

27-71 3pt FG

These are the numbers of ONE player in a game tonight!!!

Jack Taylor of Grinnell vs. Faith Baptist Bible

New NCAA All-Division record. That's mind boggling, no matter who you are playing. That's 2.7 shot attempts per minute and more than one made shot per minute!!

How would it feel to score 104 points as a team and lose by

#1) 34 points to one player

#2) 75 points overall

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)

Katz said:

Crean:

The targets big, thats the way it is when your at Indiana. There are just a few programs in the country where it doesnt matter what your record is or what the standings are. Guys come to Indiana for that.

Add his arrogant smirk and he is possibly the least likable person in the world.

Ha that is pretty laughable. Post Knight IU has been a pretty poor basketball program so that allure is long gone. They were very lucky to have top tier in-state talent at the right time or they could have been waiting a while longer to get a team like this. Now that the program is respectable again they might be able to get a few out of state kids, but IU is going to live or die on in-state talent. That can win them some things if they can get all those kids.

Katz said:

Crean:

Yeah, I get the feeling Crean would be a huge douchebag in person, but with the way he seems to have turned the program around, I'm willing to overlook it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:41 AM)

Katz said:

Crean:

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
Yeah, I get the feeling Crean would be a huge douchebag in person, but with the way he seems to have turned the program around, I'm willing to overlook it.

I've heard some very interesting first-hand stories about Crean. Not the most likable guy at all.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
How odd was it to watch SIU play a zone?

lots of odd things about SIU this year. They are so small, starting 4 guards and one forward, and staying with that rotation because of lack of size depth. Playing a zone is also really weird to see for sure.

But they were playing hard and running, which i havent seen in 5 years. That kid Anthony Beane jr, I think I am going to like him. He took over the game at one point when it got close and scored like 8 of the next 10 points for SIU. Dantiel is getting back into game shape, he was swatting balls like no big deal.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
I really dislike Crean. I cant even name another coach that compares.

I can see how you would not like him. I can also see why he takes the stance that he takes. He's had to do whatever he could to bring back the tradition and expectations so he plays the "It's Indiana" card. Keep in mind he also had a very fractured fan base and part of this has been gaining them back so he's playing up to them in a way. I suspect if he would have become IU's coach following Knight (assuming Knight had made a proper exit and not blown up) his approach would have been different.

I can't tell you whether he is a nice guy or a douchebag. But his passion and energy is real. He's definitely going to be one of those guys other team's hate. But he's going to be a guy IU fans love.

That's not true at all. It took him 3 years to get that talent. It's been there and been going to other schools. Indiana has always had top talent. I do agree that his core needs to be kids from Indiana, but he'll always need to pull well from out of state.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Ha that is pretty laughable. Post Knight IU has been a pretty poor basketball program so that allure is long gone. They were very lucky to have top tier in-state talent at the right time or they could have been waiting a while longer to get a team like this. Now that the program is respectable again they might be able to get a few out of state kids, but IU is going to live or die on in-state talent. That can win them some things if they can get all those kids.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
I can see how you would not like him. I can also see why he takes the stance that he takes. He's had to do whatever he could to bring back the tradition and expectations so he plays the "It's Indiana" card. Keep in mind he also had a very fractured fan base and part of this has been gaining them back so he's playing up to them in a way. I suspect if he would have become IU's coach following Knight (assuming Knight had made a proper exit and not blown up) his approach would have been different.

I can't tell you whether he is a nice guy or a douchebag. But his passion and energy is real. He's definitely going to be one of those guys other team's hate. But he's going to be a guy IU fans love.

Yeah, thats yet to be seen.

ALso, if you make that much money, why cant he get a decent suit/shirt combo? Nothing he has actually fits. He should ask Izzo or Saban where they gets their suits made

Katz said:

Crean:

Smirk or not, it is true.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)

Getting those kids isn't as hard as you would think. A good IU program keeps talent in state. It is pretty much like a cult when it comes to Indiana basketball and Notre Dame football in this state.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Now because they are good. Are you saying thats been the case the last 10 years no matter how s***ty they've been?

The expectations are always ridiculous at Indiana for basketball. Even when they sucked, they expected to get the best possible coach to come in there and turn things around instantly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
The expectations are always ridiculous at Indiana for basketball. Even when they sucked, they expected to get the best possible coach to come in there and turn things around instantly.

I meant outside of Indiana. But understood for the in state pressure. Thats how football is in Ohio.