2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Yeah, thats yet to be seen.

ALso, if you make that much money, why cant he get a decent suit/shirt combo? Nothing he has actually fits. He should ask Izzo or Saban where they gets their suits made

LOL My girlfriend last year kept swearing she was going to buy and send him a new tie. A new haircut wouldn't hurt either.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
People would talk about Wisconsin if I said asinine things like:

"Wisconsin is the only reason the big 10 has been in the spotlight the last 10 years."

If you want to have smug and arrogant attitudes, expect that people are going to call you out on the nonsense.

Except now you are making s*** up.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Illinois is the most talked about program in this thread. Therefore, Illinois has the biggest target on them in all of college basketball.

Right. Because no one has talked about IU outside of this thread. I'm not even a big IU fan, but you homers are killing me.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
I dont hold onto any hope that Indiana will be bad. I want Indiana to be good so that the Big 10 is respected.

As for the bolded what are you talking about? Indiana didnt even win the Big 10 last year, they didnt win the Big 10 the year before. Can you quit acting like Indiana has actually done something recently in the Big10.

Its the arrogance that annoys me. You want to be arrogant like Crean, expect people to call you on your bulls***.

Why would I be upset about Indiana? They wanted to pay me to go to their school, they were nothing but nice to me.

Its fans like you who annoy me, win games and then brag. You act like your MSU or OSU, youre not. Im not talking about whether Indiana will win the next 100 big 10 titles, thats the future. If that happens Crean and Indiana fans can crow all day long about how great they are. But as it stands now, Indiana hasnt done jack in almost a decade.

Those are the facts, get over yourself.

From what I can recall, not one Indiana fan has come on this board talking smack and being arrogant at all, unless responding to crap posted by you and others. If Indiana is so bad, why do you spend so much time worrying about them and their coach? Yes, I know its a message board. But I think the telling sign here is you and others seem to be fascinated by how well or bad Indiana is and must point out the bad any time anyone shows pride, be it a fan or coach. On the other hand, most IU fans respect Bo Ryan and Wisconsin, but could give a sh*t less about what goes on there. We know that when IU is right, we'll stand taller than Wisky most years.

And before you go off half-cocked at that comment. Think about it, it's true. Wisky has a very good program and Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan are to be commended for keeping it strong. But there is no way Wisconsin could have withstood all the crap IU went through with Sampson. It would have been a decade or more before Wisconsin would have sniffed the top half of the Big Ten.

Lastly, I don't understand where you think most IU fan's expectations lie. I would ask other IU fans on here to agree or disagree with me, but I see Indiana as a top basketball program that should be knocking on the door of the Final Four most years. What I mean is the standard for IU should be the Sweet Sixteen. If we don't get there, its a disappointing season. Get there regularly, then the chances for Final Fours and Championships will take care of themselves. IU fans know the big Ten is a damned good conference and even conference championships are not assumed. But we feel we should be "in the mix" regularly. I just don't see how these expectations are so offensive to other schools. IU is a legit top 5 or 10 "program". Has it been lately? No. But few schools nationally have the combination of tradition and dedicated fan base IU has. Certain programs have earned that status whether it be over the last 20-30-40-50+ years. IU is one and can withstand a down period more easily than others.

He_Gawn? Farmteam? Am I wrong here?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
People would talk about Wisconsin if I said asinine things like:

"Wisconsin is the only reason the big 10 has been in the spotlight the last 10 years."

If you want to have smug and arrogant attitudes, expect that people are going to call you out on the nonsense.

No one here said that dumbarse!

The fact is that IU has added spotlight to the Big Ten the last two years (last season and this season) starting with beating Kentucky last December. Are they the sole reason for the focus on the Big Ten? No. But have they brought more attention to it from that point than they would have if they were still a bottom dweller? Absolutely.

Again, if IU was so unimportant, you'd be ignoring the few of us here that post. It's not like we're a loud voice until we are defending drivel like this. How about we call a truce? You worry about Wisconsin and we'll worry about Indiana. We'll be just fine in our little world without your input as I'm sure you will be.

Krush, just for you!

Two non-IU things (Soxbadger feel free to skip this post)

1. Nice game by Illinois tonight. I didn't see the whole game as I was watching Michigan - Pitt early. I don't know enough about Illinois depth and long term prospects (this year) but they looked impressive, especially taking into account a new coach and last year's mess.

2. Rock, how in the hell did Matta not offer Trey Burke? He played for Sullinger's dad! Who did they recruit instead?

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Krush, just for you!

1. Nice game by Illinois tonight. I didn't see the whole game as I was watching Michigan - Pitt early. I don't know enough about Illinois depth and long term prospects (this year) but they looked impressive, especially taking into account a new coach and last year's mess.

2. Rock, how in the hell did Matta not offer Trey Burke? He played for Sullinger's dad! Who did they recruit instead?

Haha.

We don't have a ton of depth or inside game. Well likely be on the bubble. Though if we play like this in the big ten we can have a great shot to make the tourney.

But after last year and going through football season, its nice to appear like we know what the f*** we are doing. Enjoyable.

What's with all the hostility? It's too early in the season with that.

Badger, I agree that Crean can be arrogant. But, I think some generous leaps have to be made to go from "He's arrogant" to "He's forgetting where's he's been the past few years" to "He's totally disrespecting Michigan State and Ohio State." EDIT: Also meant to add that Crean always speaks well of other teams in the league. This is especially true of the Spartans, since Tom Izzo was pretty much his mentor and Crean was at Michigan State for so long.

Rex, you're right that expectations will always be very high in Indiana; SS2K5 was alluding to that earlier. Since we've been been down for a while now, though, there's no reason for there to be a target on us in that sense. There is a reason though if you're just talking in general about the amount of press and preseason praise the Hoosiers have gotten, along with the #1 ranking. But that's true of any "trendy" team at the beginning of the year.

Edited by farmteam

LOL, whatever, like I said before we are all going to homer the s*** out of this board. Illinois fans are going to rip on refs, IU fans are going to pretend the last 20 years never happened and I am going to tell you how OSU isnt a football school and we arent Johnny come lateleys.

The good news is that our conference is so god damn good that we all have a claim to something. And it should feel good for everyone. Michigan, MSU, IU, UI, OSU, and even NW are very good programs that could wins alot of games. Most of us are expecting a deep run in the tourney. Some of us have NPOY candidates. Revel in it boys. It's not always a permanent thing. I am looking forward to the s*** talking that goes on, because we will be watching bball at its highest level.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Krush, just for you!

They actually recruited Shannon Scott instead who was actually higher rated. They literally told Burke, you are a second option. It happens. Burke is a great kid too, just awesome. Happy for him that he went into the Big Ten and dominates. I thought he should've had an offer right away but we went with Scott who was supposed to be better and had a family connection.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
LOL, whatever, like I said before we are all going to homer the s*** out of this board. Illinois fans are going to rip on refs, IU fans are going to pretend the last 20 years never happened and I am going to tell you how OSU isnt a football school and we arent Johnny come lateleys.

The good news is that our conference is so god damn good that we all have a claim to something. And it should feel good for everyone. Michigan, MSU, IU, UI, OSU, and even NW are very good programs that could wins alot of games. Most of us are expecting a deep run in the tourney. Some of us have NPOY candidates. Revel in it boys. It's not always a permanent thing. I am looking forward to the s*** talking that goes on, because we will be watching bball at its highest level.

Hey now, let's not go crazy here. I have high hopes given the improved size, athleticism and depth. However, outside of Crawford they're starting an unathletic white guy, a former walk-on, Louisville's 12th best player from last year, and a freshman big that seems to have little clue on defense.

NU is very much a work in progress, they have 6 freshmen (two are redshirt) and two transfers on the roster (one of which is hurt right now unfortunately). I'd wait until they beat someone better than Delaware State to put them with the good teams.