2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Um, wow. OK then, let's move on and pretend that game never happened.

There was your "bad losses" column come bubble time.

A loss there could have killed so many of the positive vibes from Maui. I will mark that as a let-down game due to all of the travelling from Hawaii, but at the same time I think it should serve as a reminder that we need to keep expectations at a reasonable level this year.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
He's shooting .541 coming into today which is good for just outside the top 100 in the country.

And how many of those are guards who shoot at least 50% of their shots from behind the 3 pt line? Not that I am looking for perspective in a stat that means nothing....

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
I was being sarcastic. He's good.

It would be nice if he was 4-5" taller, played better defense while still shooting like he does. Joking aside, I think Yogi Ferrell has had a positive effect on him. I've seen much better passing from him this season. Hulls has been fun to watch grow into the player he has. He's gotten noticeably better every year, adding to his game. He's just limited by his size and speed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Was he a higher level recruit or just a local kid they offered who turned out to be pretty good?

IIRC he was a pretty high level recruit.

But he totally looks like the local guy you'd recruit and then all the sudden he makes everything.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 02:57 AM)
IIRC he was a pretty high level recruit.

But he totally looks like the local guy you'd recruit and then all the sudden he makes everything.

Pretty sure draft express had a stat that said he was the best pure shooter in the country last year (or the year before) based on some shooting graphs they had. Also, Hulls was 74th in the final RSCI.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
Pretty sure draft express had a stat that said he was the best pure shooter in the country last year (or the year before) based on some shooting graphs they had. Also, Hulls was 74th in the final RSCI.

Yes, it was shooting efficiency or something like that. I remember near the end of last year he was leading the country in eFG (I can't remember the exact term), but he was the only guard in the top 20-30 players.

Should be a good test Tuesday against North Carolina.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Was he a higher level recruit or just a local kid they offered who turned out to be pretty good?

Kinda both. I think he was rated as about the 10th overall PG in his class, but I'm not sure he was expected to be this good of a shooter.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)

As much as I dislike IU, I think they should win this game pretty handily. I'd be surprised if it was within single digits. UNC plays extremely uptempo and plays pretty poor defense. I just can't see them hanging with the Hoosiers.

And I just looked up the line. IU -9. Sounds about right and I still think they cover.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
As much as I dislike IU, I think they should win this game pretty handily. I'd be surprised if it was within single digits. UNC plays extremely uptempo and plays pretty poor defense. I just can't see them hanging with the Hoosiers.

And I just looked up the line. IU -9. Sounds about right and I still think they cover.

I'm expecting a close game until the last few minutes, and I think IU will pull away by about 10.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Kinda both. I think he was rated as about the 10th overall PG in his class, but I'm not sure he was expected to be this good of a shooter.

Hulls was also Indiana Mr. Basketball. That doesn't guarantee college success, but he's kind of the typical kid who is not tall and overly athletic. His first year he turned the ball over a lot, could play no defense and could only take open 3's off a pass. He's gotten better and better each year, improving his shooting, his ability to get the shot off quickly, drives into the lane and finishes occasionally (still not a huge strength, but you have to defend him), turns the ball over less, plays decent defense and is a solid leader. He's earned it through hard work, not being the most athletic guy around. Gritty is a good word to describe him.