2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 06:42 AM)
Oh, and Illinois wouldn't? That's a bunch of bulls***. Just get over your jealous hate. Your pathetic school can't beat top ten teams in any sport.

Illinois basketball has two wins over top ten teams this calendar year.

Edited by LittleHurt05

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a school holds itself as better than every one on the entire planet, they should probably at least fake living up to those standards. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

There was no rape, so if you're going to be a smartass and take shots, you should probably bother to learn the details of the story, or at least fake living up to the standards of knowing something about what's going on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
When a school holds itself as better than every one on the entire planet, they should probably at least fake living up to those standards. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Meh, that doesn't make them better on the playing field. If rape and death means more wins, than so be it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
There was no rape, so if you're going to be a smartass and take shots, you should probably bother to learn the details of the story, or at least fake living up to the standards of knowing something about what's going on.

A girl is dead. Keep defending away.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)

Do you know details that aren't public due to connections to someone or something? Otherwise I'm not sure you can say that.

A girl is dead. Keep defending away.

You want to sit from the cheap seats and take shots at something you're jealous of, go right ahead. But you look like an ass when you don't even bother to look up the facts.

First of all, the alleged crime she reported was unwanted contact to her clothed breasts and genitals. A crime? Yes. Rape? Not even close.

Secondly, there are no witnesses to the crime itself, but there are witnesses who saw her acting very "friendly" with him and heard her invite him into her room. That isn't to say a crime wasn't committed, but under those circumstances there is no chance she gets convicted even if she isn't dead.

Thirdly, she had documented emotional/mental problems. It's not anybody else's fault that she chose to kill herself as a reaction to this situation, and once she did that, what small chance there was that any action would be taken against the player was gone.

Do you know details that aren't public due to connections to someone or something? Otherwise I'm not sure you can say that.

She filed a police report. It was made public. The allegation was unwanted contact to her clothed breasts and genitals, but all the ND haters ignored that and started throwing around the word 'rape', because the ND haters are a bunch of sheep who believe everything they read that is the slightest bit negative about ND without looking it up themselves.

EDIT: In the pursuit of accuracy, I went back and looked up the facts again and the report does not state that her breasts were clothed, though I don't know what that changes.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
You want to sit from the cheap seats and take shots at something you're jealous of, go right ahead. But you look like an ass when you don't even bother to look up the facts.

First of all, the alleged crime she reported was unwanted contact to her clothed breasts and genitals. A crime? Yes. Rape? Not even close.

Secondly, there are no witnesses to the crime itself, but there are witnesses who saw her acting very "friendly" with him and heard her invite him into her room. That isn't to say a crime wasn't committed, but under those circumstances there is no chance she gets convicted even if she isn't dead.

Thirdly, she had documented emotional/mental problems. It's not anybody else's fault that she chose to kill herself as a reaction to this situation, and once she did that, what small chance there was that any action would be taken against the player was gone.

It has nothing to do with jealous. My problem with ND has always been, and always will be, the arrogance and insufferably of their fans, players, and staff. Example #1 is the situation with this girl. Its not the players fault, its the dead girls fault. This is the kind of stuff that happened at Penn State with Paterno. It disgusts me to no end. Same with the dead student assistant on the scissor-lift. A football program is not more important than people's lives. No sport is.

And just FYI, with the weakass "jealous" crap, your school hasn't won s*** for 20+ years. As someone who doesn't like the Cubs, I suppose I am jealous of their winning tradition as well? Give that tired old stuff a rest.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
She filed a police report. It was made public. The allegation was unwanted contact to her clothed breasts and genitals, but all the ND haters ignored that and started throwing around the word 'rape', because the ND haters are a bunch of sheep who believe everything they read that is the slightest bit negative about ND without looking it up themselves.

Meh, semantics. So there was no penetration but the sexual assault charge remains. Doesn't make your excuses for the situation any more relevant. So the terminology was wrong, but the idea remains. And the report also mentioned several other instances of "sexual assault", not just the one girl.

ND haters lovers are a bunch of sheep who believe everything they read that is the slightest bit negative positive about ND without looking it up themselves.

That quote can work both ways. Blinders are owned by both sides.

It has nothing to do with jealous. My problem with ND has always been, and always will be, the arrogance and insufferably of their fans, players, and staff. Example #1 is the situation with this girl. Its not the players fault, its the dead girls fault. This is the kind of stuff that happened at Penn State with Paterno. It disgusts me to no end. Same with the dead student assistant on the scissor-lift. A football program is not more important than people's lives. No sport is.

And just FYI, with the weakass "jealous" crap, your school hasn't won s*** for 20+ years. As someone who doesn't like the Cubs, I suppose I am jealous of their winning tradition as well? Give that tired old stuff a rest.

You want ND fans (and alumni) to be less arrogant--then start by getting your facts straight. This isn't anything close to Paterno's case, and honestly you are trivializing Sandusky's victims by even thinking about mentioning both in the same sentence. You keep making up facts and ND fans aren't going to give a s*** about your opinion.

I do agree about the scissor-lift incident. There should have been some more accountability at some level for that, though the AD and an administrator were at that practice so it's hard to justify saying the buck should have stopped with Brian Kelly.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
You want ND fans (and alumni) to be less arrogant--then start by getting your facts straight. This isn't anything close to Paterno's case, and honestly you are trivializing Sandusky's victims by even thinking about mentioning both in the same sentence. You keep making up facts and ND fans aren't going to give a s*** about your opinion.

I do agree about the scissor-lift incident. There should have been some more accountability at some level for that, though the AD and an administrator were at that practice so it's hard to justify saying the buck should have stopped with Brian Kelly.

That's just it. Again and again, no one was held responsible.

Meh, semantics. So there was no penetration but the sexual assault charge remains. Doesn't make your excuses for the situation any more relevant. So the terminology was wrong, but the idea remains. And the report also mentioned several other instances of "sexual assault", not just the one girl.

When were there other accusations of sexual assault by that or any other ND player?

And those aren't "my excuses". They are the facts that determine how the legal case did or did not progress.

Only at ND does everybody else expect players to be kicked off the team just for being accused of crimes that can't come close to being proven.

Oh, well maybe at Duke as well.

That's just it. Again and again, no one was held responsible.

No, not again and again. There was one case where somebody should have been held responsible but wasn't. Yet that person is most likely the AD or an administrator and would not have significant impact on the performance of the team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
When were there other accusations of sexual assault by that or any other ND player?

And those aren't "my excuses". They are the facts that determine how the legal case did or did not progress.

Only at ND does everybody else expect players to be kicked off the team just for being accused of crimes that can't come close to being proven.

It's in the linked article.

The stories may be made up like you said before, it's been known to happen. But I don't believe for a second it is beyond a university, any university, but especially one with as much power as a ND, to attempt to suppress something like that. It's irresponsible to accuse and pronounce guilt based on just what is present, but it's just as irresponsible to dismiss it because you are a fan/alumni/student/staff of said university.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)

You mean like what Xavier had the guts to do with their best returning player this year?

It's in the linked article.

The stories may be made up like you said before, it's been known to happen. But I don't believe for a second it is beyond a university, any university, but especially one with as much power as a ND, to attempt to suppress something like that. It's irresponsible to accuse and pronounce guilt based on just what is present, but it's just as irresponsible to dismiss it because you are a fan/alumni/student/staff of said university.

OK, in the linked article:

A case from 2011 where the incident was not reported to the university or the police, so is ND supposed to take disciplinary action based on an internet story?

A case from 2002 where the accused were expelled and one was convicted. What more was ND supposed to do here?

Beyond that there is some stuff mentioned from the 1970s.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
No, not again and again. There was one case where somebody should have been held responsible but wasn't. Yet that person is most likely the AD or an administrator and would not have significant impact on the performance of the team.

Blaming the victim is exactly what I am referring to when it comes to the PSU comparison. It wasn't about the crimes, but about the response to the accusations. Being angry and pointing the finger at everyone but the person responsible.