2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

I live in Chicago, I was born in Illinois and I didnt even know Marquette was a rival of Wisconsin until after I left college and met Marquette fans.

As I said, my information comes from my Marquette friends. Whether you want to believe it or not, that is your call. But it is well documented that Crean over signs and that there have been players who have decided to transfer when the team had too many scholarships.

Now maybe you are right and Tom Crean did not do it at Marquette, I dont know what your connections are to Marquette or if you have better information than me.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Yay, we're relevant

Even without Royce White? Not many teams remain strong despite losing their top 3 scorers.

Meanwhile Mizzou lands UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi. He can play right away thanks to the Huskies' postseason ban. So Mizzou goes from a team with 7 scholarship players and two players 6-8 or taller to a team that goes 11 deep with 5 players 6-8 or taller. They won't be as good as last year, but they won't have the same weaknesses either. Oh wait, it doesn't matter they will disappoint somehow.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Even without Royce White? Not many teams remain strong despite losing their top 3 scorers.

Meanwhile Mizzou lands UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi. He can play right away thanks to the Huskies' postseason ban. So Mizzou goes from a team with 7 scholarship players and two players 6-8 or taller to a team that goes 11 deep with 5 players 6-8 or taller. They won't be as good as last year, but they won't have the same weaknesses either. Oh wait, it doesn't matter they will disappoint somehow.

We're going to play differently with a point guard bringing it up, but yeah, Will Clyburn's going to be impressive.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
They definitely have a shot. I'd lean towards Kentucky once again at the moment.

Indiana surely has some talent to compete in conference, and possibly the tourney, but uk has a TON more and better coaching.

I think IU fans are going to be surprised how different it is with the target back on your backs. It's a tough road through the Big Ten.

Eric Gordons younger brother, Eron, threw up 32 points last night playing a year up. He's a 2016 kid and threw down three monster dunks evidently. He's extremely young, but it's looking like this kid could be the next big thing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
Indiana surely has some talent to compete in conference, and possibly the tourney, but uk has a TON more and better coaching.

I think IU fans are going to be surprised how different it is with the target back on your backs. It's a tough road through the Big Ten.

I agree about the tough road. Regarding the talent, IU has a lot IMO. People keep saying how the field must be extremely weak if Indiana is #1. Well, they have a lot of talent mixed with talented experience. UK just changed the landscape, for the worst IMO.

Looking further. IU has Zeller, a likely top 3 draft pick (maybe #1) and probably the best player in the country next year. Watford and Oladipo are also on the 2013 draft boards. Hollowell, Yogi, and Perea are all over the draft boards in the later years.

They have first and second round talent at every position.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)

I agree in the sense that I'm not used to it, so it's hard to prepare my expectations...but at the same time, I'm looking forward to seeing how the team does when there are such high expectations. Instead of "OMG YOU BEAT KENTUCKY" it will be (even if we're not favored) "Good win, but not surprising."

As for the talent level though, I do think you're understating it a bit, at least if you take experience into account. IU returns every player from a Sweet Sixteen team that was what, 2-3 games back of first place in the B1G, AND adds in a lot more depth (in terms of talent) with this new recruiting class. Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin and OSU do similar things, I just think IU has a bit more of it (which is NOT to say I necessarily think IU will indeed win the conference next year...like I said, I'm curious to see how they play when they have such expectations placed on them).

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Looking further. IU has Zeller, a likely top 3 draft pick (maybe #1) and probably the best player in the country next year. Watford and Oladipo are also on the 2013 draft boards. Hollowell, Yogi, and Perea are all over the draft boards in the later years.

They have first and second round talent at every position.

You really think that Zeller is going to be the best player in the country?

I'm not trying to start a fight as I know how crazy you are about your team, but I think you are really overrating the talent on your roster. Where are Watford and Oladipo on a mock draft board? I understand its very exciting for the program to be back and they even made it into the sweet 16 last year, but there is ALOT that goes into winning the conference and the tourney.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Oh, his AAU coach was right? Shocking! Heard he'll likely land at Creighton.

He sounds like a McDermott kind of player, actually.

His uncle played at Iowa State, but since I have no idea what our offense will look like next year, I don't know how he would fit in here exactly.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
I agree in the sense that I'm not used to it, so it's hard to prepare my expectations...but at the same time, I'm looking forward to seeing how the team does when there are such high expectations. Instead of "OMG YOU BEAT KENTUCKY" it will be (even if we're not favored) "Good win, but not surprising."

Kentucky hasn't lost a home game since 08-09. It would be downright shocking for Indiana to win for that fact alone.