Sox/Astros Spring Game thread 4/3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

430 foot homer by Adam Dunn almost to straightaway CF over the grassy berm.

BTW, our old friend Jack Cust was released by the Astros. Problem is that he has the same issue as Dan Johnson/Conor Jackson as far as having a place on the roster as currently comprised.

Hopefully that happens a lot this season, back-to-back homers with Konerko.

That's Paulie's first of the spring, right? Or 2nd?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
Paulie says Dunn what

Dunn says mine was 75 feet longer and that he supplied all the power.

Patented Alex Rios 6-4-3 GIDP to dampen my enthusiasm for 2012, lol.

I have a feeling that Ventura won't stick with Rios for months and months. He's already moved him down in the line-up from his original projection of Rios as a 3rd hitter.

Things are workable if Dunn and Beckham hits, because either Fukudome or Lillibridge could get hot and carry the team for 2-3 weeks.

Edited by caulfield12

If Jones can just keep his walk rate down, he could really be something.

Of course, you could say that with 90% of power bullpen arms, but his secondary pitches have been impressive, as he has 19 K's in just over 10 innings pitched now.

Struck out the side, not exactly economical with his pitches and working fast (same problem with Sale), but it is his first time pitching in a big league stadium.

You can also see his three pitches that he used when he was starting.

93-97 MPH straight fastball, 85-87 MPH power curve/slurve and then an 83-85 MPH change-up.

He's going to get a lot of K's with that off-speed stuff if he can get ahead in counts.

Edited by caulfield12

There's the patented Beckham RCF liner.

The pitch before, had his typical troubles with the high fastball he can't seem to lay off or get on top of (few can).

Morel not having one of his better days.

Nationals sent down John Lannan, that's a pretty big surprise, especially with Chien Min Wang on the DL.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
There's the patented Beckham RCF liner.

The pitch before, had his typical troubles with the high fastball he can't seem to lay off or get on top of (few can).

Morel not having one of his better days.

Nationals sent down John Lannan, that's a pretty big surprise, especially with Chien Min Wang on the DL.

That was one of Gordon's better swings in the last year or so though...

Very excited about Wilkins this season. He's got a nice lefty swing. Should take over for Konerko in '14 if Kenny doesn't trade him for Ichiro or something stupid...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Very excited about Wilkins this season. He's got a nice lefty swing. Should take over for Konerko in '14 if Kenny doesn't trade him for Ichiro or something stupid...

Not to compare him to Josh Hamilton..but his finish is very Hamilton-esque.

Wilkins with a very impressive swing off of a big league pitcher. It seems fairly obvious that Santiago is going to be the closer. In a few games where Ventura has managed the bullpen realistically, he had Reed/Thornton setting up for Santiago. I was very, very impressed with what I saw from N. Jones tonight. Thornton looked terrible though, as his fastball seemed way off. Hopefully he was just preserving his arm.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Wilkins with a very impressive swing off of a big league pitcher. It seems fairly obvious that Santiago is going to be the closer. In a few games where Ventura has managed the bullpen realistically, he had Reed/Thornton setting up for Santiago. I was very, very impressed with what I saw from N. Jones tonight. Thornton looked terrible though, as his fastball seemed way off. Hopefully he was just preserving his arm.

I just wonder how many of these decisions Robin is actually making...

Edited by iamshack