Sox/Astros Spring Game thread 4/3

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Wilkins with a very impressive swing off of a big league pitcher. It seems fairly obvious that Santiago is going to be the closer. In a few games where Ventura has managed the bullpen realistically, he had Reed/Thornton setting up for Santiago. I was very, very impressed with what I saw from N. Jones tonight. Thornton looked terrible though, as his fastball seemed way off. Hopefully he was just preserving his arm.

Do you think Robin is leaning that way? If they were going to go rookie I would have thought it was going to be Reed...would be an interesting choice.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Wilkins with a very impressive swing off of a big league pitcher. It seems fairly obvious that Santiago is going to be the closer. In a few games where Ventura has managed the bullpen realistically, he had Reed/Thornton setting up for Santiago. I was very, very impressed with what I saw from N. Jones tonight. Thornton looked terrible though, as his fastball seemed way off. Hopefully he was just preserving his arm.

It'll be interesting to see how Santiago handles the job. Going into the spring, I was hoping he'd get a long relief job. But between a mid 90s fastball and a screwball that surely not many of the guys he'll face have seen before, he's got a shot.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
Who is this Wilkins guy? Anyone familiar with him in the minors? Don't know much about him but he has a nice looking swing.

He is my AAP. Has a beautiful swing/follow through, and big power. He also walks a lot, and doesn't K much. I like him a lot, but he is still in the lower levels, so no idea if he will hit everywhere yet.