Sox ranked #24 in Fan Graphs organizational rankings

southsider2k5

Last year's #24 was Washington. They're now #11 this year.

Things can change fast. And let's not forget the dreaded #6 organization. The Mariners were #6 two years ago and fell on their face. The Twins were #6 last year and also fell on their face. Whoever's #6 this year might be screwed too...

In other words, FanGraphs rankings give a good idea of which team will fail badly (the #6 organization that is) and really doesn't tell you too much about anything else.

It basically summarizes where the major league team is at the end of the preceding year, and I would suppose gives a boost to those teams who made significant offseasons additions like the Marlins.

"They were able to turn Jose Contreras into a useful pitcher for a couple of seasons."

You think? He was only the most dominant pitcher in baseball from July/August 2005 through May of 2006, when he got injured, and perhaps the most important key to their World Series title on the pitching staff.

"Williams also should have shown more patience with Javier Vazquez and Nick Swisher — both of whom were shipped out for virtually no return."

Getting back Lillibridge and Flowers (if he manages to become the full-time starting catcher) wasn't bad at all, because there was no way he was going to stay on the 2009 team. In many ways, it was just a salary dump.

If they want to complain about specific deals, it should be trading for Teahen, extending him, trading Hudson/Holmberg for Edwin Jackson, then dumping Teahen and Edwin Jackson for practically nothing.

Edited by caulfield12

Cast aside those wicked and ungrateful, for theirs my kingdom is not. Their families have been spared the dishonour of begging for scraps off my table and as a result have grown fat and complacent in their capricious lives. They bask in the warmth of my kindness, the warmth of ten thousand suns. Forthwith, refresh their old posts with those eager to harvest thine crops for their hands will be the tools used to rebuild thine kingdom.

Some of those teams (especially on the 25-30 list) are teams that have been pointed to as either rebuilding, or have shed so much salary that they may as well be. A highly ranked farm system must be tended to properly, but even then, it will only be one of the ingredients needed for big league success. It has has been demonstrated over the years that while it certainly makes things easier, it isn't a requirement for winning- In fact, some of the teams with the best farm systems have notably been in the picture but were unable to finish the job.

Or haven't been in the picture at all.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
Cast aside those wicked and ungrateful, for theirs my kingdom is not. Their families have been spared the dishonour of begging for scraps off my table and as a result have grown fat and complacent in their capricious lives. They bask in the warmth of my kindness, the warmth of ten thousand suns. Forthwith, refresh their old posts with those eager to harvest thine crops for their hands will be the tools used to rebuild thine kingdom.

Some of those teams (especially on the 25-30 list) are teams that have been pointed to as either rebuilding, or have shed so much salary that they may as well be. A highly ranked farm system must be tended to properly, but even then, it will only be one of the ingredients needed for big league success. It has has been demonstrated over the years that while it certainly makes things easier, it isn't a requirement for winning- In fact, some of the teams with the best farm systems have notably been in the picture but were unable to finish the job.

Or haven't been in the picture at all.

Please, don't make me think of that horrid movie, YOUR HIGHNESS, again!!!

I have a relatively small aspiration for the next 12 months. If we're at least 10 places higher than the Chicago Cubs coming into 2013, something positive will have to have happened.

It's hard to take these ranking very seriously considering how much they fluctuate year to year. How are the Cubs #14? The Sox future isn't looking great, but there is no way I would trade it for the Cubs organization. The Sox pitching is far superior in the rotation and pen. The Cubs have one young impact player. Even Theo has said they need a lot more young impact players.