• Jerry Reinsdorf
    • Kenny Williams
    • Frank Thomas
    • AJ Pierzynski
    • John Danks
    • Gordon Beckham
    • Ozzie Guillen
    • OTHER

THE "FACE" OF THE MIAMI MARLINS IS...: ESPN named the "face" of every MLB franchise and for the Marlins it was manager Ozzie Guillen. ("Sounds like a poll!," I thought to myself. The timing is right, with the Marlins hosting the Yankees Sunday and again last night at the new ballpark prior to Wednesday's historic Opening Day). I can see the choice of Guillen but for me the current face of the franchise probably is Hanley Ramirez. How about for you? Use your own definition of what the "face of a franchise" even means. Is it always the biggest star? Is it the person who best represents the team? Is longevity a factor? For me it is the person who comes to mind first when you think "Marlins." And for me the face of a franchise demands a national perspective, not just local. What would a baseball fan in New York, Lawrence (KS) or California say? Then again I'm more interested in what Marlins fans think. The list is alphabetical, and apologies for initially having "Mike" Stanton instead of Giancarlo. Old habits, ya know? Vote and say why.

Read more here: http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence/20...l#storylink=cpy

Found this in an old article about "Face of the Franchise," which named Guillen and Buehrle.

Pretty hilarious.

Mark Buehrle is the face of the White Sox ... for the time being. However, anybody who holds this title is only keeping the seat warm for Aaron Rowand, if he returns next year. He is to Sox fans what Ditka was to the SNL Superfans. Even while Jim Thome hit 42 homers in 2006, fans deplored the trade on every call-in show, online forum, letter to the editor, etc. It doesn't matter how Thome hits; as far as Sox fans are concerned, a lineup of nine miniature Rowands would go 162-0. He'd be the first outfielder credited with saves, because he wouldn't let any rocket shots allowed by Sox relievers to drop. He'd heal banged-up teammates by running into them, full-bore. Don't ask me how. Buehrle shares a lot of the same qualities, and re-signing with the Sox and bypassing the open market means more to Sox fans than he knows. But if Rowand returns, he'll take back the belt, no question.

Made me return to the days of Rowand, Crede and even Brian Anderson worship.

I wouldn't be surprised if casual baseball fans still thought of Ozzie Guillen more than anyone else with the Sox.

Maybe it would be more interesting if it was "who do you think it will be in 2017?" but then you'd just be guessing between names like Viciedo, Sale, Beckham, Morel, Molina, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
One vote for Ozzie...looks like our Kansas contingent has voted

I voted for him too. I hated him, but he was certainly our only ticket to national notoriety. He was the only reason we ever made SportsCenter. Even with him gone, I bet he's the one most identified with the White Sox out of that group, Paulie being the only other one who is close.

Only one of those names is a future HOFer, and I really think that around the country he's the only name most people would be able to associate with the Sox. Paulie has never gotten as much national attention as he deserved.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
Beckham made the poll, really? I mean I'm still holding out hope that he'll finally show up but face off the franchise? No dice. Now, hair of the franchise is a different story.

the sexiest face of the franchise by far unless Jon Garland comes back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
With Buehrle gone, it is Konerko for sure.

I thought it would have more so been Konerko even while Buehrle was here... well after Ozzie.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Only one of those names is a future HOFer, and I really think that around the country he's the only name most people would be able to associate with the Sox. Paulie has never gotten as much national attention as he deserved.

I don't think he even wants any more attention. I bet he is perfectly fine with flying under the national radar and not getting all of that extra attention.

Baseball doesn't have a face. The face of this team will be an inanimate metal sculpture with 25-30 sets of fingerprints on it in October. Only the people who know and appreciate the game and love it would recognize that. And the fans also. All of the blue collar steel workers who take their family of 4 to the game on half price Mondays after a sweaty, grueling, and particularly laborious day at work for minimal pay can appreciate the game. You know, the no bull Chicago tough people who consider -12 degree weather accompanied by snow falling sideways to be shirtless driving weather because their chest hair will insulate them can appreciate the game and be it's face. If you put ketchup on your hot dog kindly give it to them so they can throw it to the ground for the dogs and raccoons.

But really, Kenny is 1a Paulie is 1b.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Baseball doesn't have a face. The face of this team will be an inanimate metal sculpture with 25-30 sets of fingerprints on it in October. Only the people who know and appreciate the game and love it would recognize that. And the fans also. All of the blue collar steel workers who take their family of 4 to the game on half price Mondays after a sweaty, grueling, and particularly laborious day at work for minimal pay can appreciate the game. You know, the no bull Chicago tough people who consider -12 degree weather accompanied by snow falling sideways to be shirtless driving weather because their chest hair will insulate them can appreciate the game and be it's face. If you put ketchup on your hot dog kindly give it to them so they can throw it to the ground for the dogs and raccoons.

But really, Kenny is 1a Paulie is 1b.

Tell that to Jeffrey Loria, they picked Guillen specifically for this reason, the Hispanic market in South Florida, his time coaching with McKeon and Ozzie's already won the "Face of the Franchise" poll in the Miami Herald over any of the players (Hanley, Reyes, Stanton, Josh Johnson).

It's telling that Ventura has received zero votes so far, yet Ozzie beats out four superstars in Miami, the ultimate celeb/superstar-driven city after LA and maybe New York.

I did vote for Oz but only after 2 others did. Not lying.

The reason I did is I think we have no face of the franchise. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

In the city of chicago itself, I'd say the face of the franchise is Paulie obviously.

For sure.

AJ prolly a distant second.

But nationally? Nobody cares about this team or Konerko.

It's still Ozzie.

But again ... who cares?

Let's win.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
the sexiest face of the franchise by far unless Jon Garland comes back.

i dunno man. Robin was pretty good lookin' back in his 46 year old pitcher stomping days.

It has to be Konerko. Last year, you would have to say Guillen. I think that almost all major league baseball nationally recognize Konerko by now. After many All Star appearances and the 2005 World Series. And his long tenure with the White Sox. Could be Konerko for awhile.

AJ maybe second ... but probably for being one of the more hated players with his 'bad boy' reputation...when he really isn't that bad. Just annoying to other teams. Giants and Angels probably have legit reasons to hate him.