WS Dash rotation announced

southsider2k5

http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2012/04/04/da...tion-announced/

Dash Starting Rotation Announced

In advance of the club’s season opener Friday at Carolina, the Dash have announced their starting rotation to begin the 2012 season.

Friday: RHP Jake Petricka

Saturday: RHP Andre Rienzo

Sunday: LHP Spencer Arroyo

Monday: OFF

Tuesday: RHP Ryan Buch

Wednesday: RHP Matt Heidenreich

Petricka is the highest-ranked pitching prospect the Dash are likely to receive throughout the season. He checked in at fourth on Baseball America‘s top 30 list for the White Sox.

Both Rienzo and Arroyo looked sharp in the exhibition game yesterday at Kannapolis. Buch had a chance to spend a little time in big league camp in Arizona. Finally, Heidenreich, a former fourth-round pick, will be making his High-A debut with the Dash this season.

If this rotation holds to form, Rienzo will start the home opener for the Dash April 13. Arroyo and Buch will round out that opening series before the club hits the road again.

It’s time for Media Day and the Coaches’ Luncheon. Stay tuned to wsdash.com for more information on that event. We’ll talk to you later!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
W-S and B-Ham are the two squads with starting rotations I will be excited to see. I think all five of these pitchers are intriguing.

Even Kannapolis could have a pretty good rotation. Snodgress and Olacio are two of our better pitching prospects. Walters and a couple other guys look decent. Plus you got Erik Johnson and Myles Jaye in extended spring training to start the season. I'm guessing they'll head to Kannapolis at some point. A rotation with those five guys would be pretty damn good, especially considering how weak our system is.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
Even Kannapolis could have a pretty good rotation. Snodgress and Olacio are two of our better pitching prospects. Walters and a couple other guys look decent. Plus you got Erik Johnson and Myles Jaye in extended spring training to start the season. I'm guessing they'll head to Kannapolis at some point. A rotation with those five guys would be pretty damn good, especially considering how weak our system is.

I'd be stunned if Olacio starts right away. I'd be more stunned if he doesn't struggle right away. He walked more than a batter an inning in the DSL. I don't care how good your stuff is. You have to throw strikes.

Don't forget Jeff Soptic in that extended ST group. I still think the Winston-Salem rotation is much better for that level. We'll see what the top level teams are throwing out.

PS here's my Dash preview on FS. I plan to have the Barons' and Knights' previews up tomorrow assuming the rosters are out.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
I'd be stunned if Olacio starts right away. I'd be more stunned if he doesn't struggle right away. He walked more than a batter an inning in the DSL. I don't care how good your stuff is. You have to throw strikes.

Don't forget Jeff Soptic in that extended ST group. I still think the Winston-Salem rotation is much better for that level. We'll see what the top level teams are throwing out.

PS here's my Dash preview on FS. I plan to have the Barons' and Knights' previews up tomorrow assuming the rosters are out.

Thank you for the preview, I casually follow the minors and am a far cry from an expert on the subject.

Question for whoever: Is Miguel Gonzales still considered a decent catcting prospect? Now that Flowers is a major leaguer is he the best catching prospect the Sox have? or is it that (can't remeber his name, I think it was maybe Smith) guy that was drafted a year or so ago?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
Thank you for the preview, I casually follow the minors and am a far cry from an expert on the subject.

Question for whoever: Is Miguel Gonzales still considered a decent catcting prospect? Now that Flowers is a major leaguer is he the best catching prospect the Sox have? or is it that (can't remeber his name, I think it was maybe Smith) guy that was drafted a year or so ago?

Gonzalez is considered an exceptional defensive catcher already but his hitting has much to develop. He was more highly thought of a few years back and his production has not lived up to expectations or desires but he's still young enough that he should be kept an eye on

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Gonzalez is considered an exceptional defensive catcher already but his hitting has much to develop. He was more highly thought of a few years back and his production has not lived up to expectations or desires but he's still young enough that he should be kept an eye on

All of this excites me. I feel like most of our pitching prospects are legit for some reason; ah yes, blind homerism. But that aside, most of them have some serious potential. We may find out this year that our system is absolutely loaded- Thompson, Molina, Castro, Saladino, Petricka, Rienzo, I'm forgetting a bunch of good ones. Sure beats when Juan Silverio was our most interesting prospect at like 15 years old.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
All of this excites me. I feel like most of our pitching prospects are legit for some reason; ah yes, blind homerism. But that aside, most of them have some serious potential. We may find out this year that our system is absolutely loaded- Thompson, Molina, Castro, Saladino, Petricka, Rienzo, I'm forgetting a bunch of good ones. Sure beats when Juan Silverio was our most interesting prospect at like 15 years old.

I don't think Petricka will be any more than an average big league reliever. His secondary pitches are really lacking at the moment and he's 23. Similar goes for Rienzo. The system has a pretty good amount of depth, but there are virtually no exciting prospects with Reed already in the bigs.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)

You were right. The rotation at Kannapolis to start the season will be Walters, Webb, Snodgress, Parrent, & Vance.

Vance wasn't a guy I thought would be a starter, but he posted a hell of a K rate in relief for GF last year.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 06:21 AM)

I think that the best prospect we have is probably Phegley right now. He's closest to the majors and has the fewest questions I'd say although his defense leaves much to be desired. Kevan Smith has great potential but he's old and playing at a low level, he's going to really have to progress quickly to be considered a prospect at all. As far as Gonzales, this is probably a make or break year although with his defense and his ability to shut down a running game with his arm he may be able to make it as a backup in the bigs just for those skills.