The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Serious question: Is Oz a candidate for manager of the year? Three over .500 and right there.

So you barely ever say a good thing about the Sox and you believe Ozzie is a candidate for Coach of the year??? I'm now convinced youre one of Ozzies kids, Oney is that you?

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 22, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
So you barely ever say a good thing about the Sox and you believe Ozzie is a candidate for Coach of the year??? I'm now convinced youre one of Ozzies kids, Oney is that you?

I love the Sox.

I've praised Dunn and Peavy and Paulie and AJ a lot and Flowers.

I just don't like what I've seen the last couple seasons and change. It has jaded me a bit and angered me a lot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 21, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
I love the Sox.

I just don't like what I've seen the last couple seasons and change. It has jaded me a bit and angered me a lot.

Sorry, I just had to go there after that Oz comment...Mattingley, Gonzalez, Matheny, and Johnson are all ahead of him ATM.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 22, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
That Giancarlo kid can really hit a baseball hard....wow

Damn.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

122.4 mph was the speed off the bat of Giancarlo Stanton's HR Monday. It's the fastest tracked in the history of ESPN Home Run Tracker.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 21, 2012 -> 10:11 PM)
I love the Sox.

Yet you refuse to acknowledge how much Guillen had to do with what has you jaded and angry. How very contradictory.

Commence parade comments!

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
Marlins the best team in baseball since May 1st and by a wide margin too.

The best team in the history of the month of May under Ozzie Guillen.

Just kidding...well, maybe it is, but would have to look at 05, 06 and 08.

Can they start planning the Parade Route and special bus for invited Miami Heat players and the Brazilian samba babes?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 23, 2012 -> 06:14 AM)
Marlins the best team in baseball since May 1st and by a wide margin too.

You can't deny his record.

For a franchise as bad as the White Sox franchise historically, his W/L record was stellar.

He kept the clubhouse loose. The fact a guy like Mark would play for him AGAIN does say something. You can't tell me he'd have gone there ($$$$) only for the cash if he despised Ozzie.

If Miami wins the NL this year and it is possible, will you guys melt down or be just a tiny bit happy for Ozzeroo?

p.s. I won't be surprised to see Buehrle in the all star game.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)

For a franchise as bad as the White Sox franchise historically, his W/L record was stellar.

He kept the clubhouse loose. The fact a guy like Mark would play for him AGAIN does say something. You can't tell me he'd have gone there ($$$$) only for the cash if he despised Ozzie.

If Miami wins the NL this year and it is possible, will you guys melt down or be just a tiny bit happy for Ozzeroo?

No. This guy quit on my team and threw away more than a season so that he could get a nice payday. Him succeeding with that payday won't make me forget that, any more than him failing to win the NL would make you suddenly have issue with anything he ever did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
No. This guy quit on my team and threw away more than a season so that he could get a nice payday. Him succeeding with that payday won't make me forget that, any more than him failing to win the NL would make you suddenly have issue with anything he ever did.

How did he throw away more than one season? I thought he quit the last week of last season?

If he threw games purposely, then he should be banned from baseball like Pete Rose.

If the Sox players had been playing worth a s*** and we'd been winning, he wouldn't have gone to Miami to begin with cause he'd remain the King of Chicago if we kept winning. His ego would have never let him consider leaving if we were WS bound again.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
How did he throw away more than one season? I thought he quit the last week of last season?

If he threw games purposely, then he should be banned from baseball like Pete Rose.

If the Sox players had been playing worth a s*** and we'd been winning, he wouldn't have gone to Miami to begin with cause he'd remain the King of Chicago if we kept winning. His ego would have never let him consider leaving if we were WS bound again.

Like when Bobby Jenks was doing whatever the Hell he was doing in 2010 that led him to be practically unable to pitch, would come in and get shelled, Ozzie would say that's it he's lost the closer's job, and then the next time there was need for a Closer after the Kotsay/Pierre led lineup squeaked out a lead, Jenks would be back out trying to blow it again?

That was throwing away a season too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)

WHAT?? Buehrle is 32nd in the NL in ERA and only has 4 wins on the season, all while pitching home games at a gigantic pitcher's park.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Like when Bobby Jenks was doing whatever the Hell he was doing in 2010 that led him to be practically unable to pitch, would come in and get shelled, Ozzie would say that's it he's lost the closer's job, and then the next time there was need for a Closer after the Kotsay/Pierre led lineup squeaked out a lead, Jenks would be back out trying to blow it again?

That was throwing away a season too.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
WHAT?? Buehrle is 32nd in the NL in ERA and only has 4 wins on the season, all while pitching home games at a gigantic pitcher's park.

1.) My recollection is Jenks was closer about as long as the other guys who have been demoted were closers. He'd blow a couple then it'd be closer by committee and he'd return. It's not like Jenks was getting shelled every time. In fact, Jenks battled back that one year and uh, DOMINATED all summer after blowing several.

2.) Playing Kotsay and Pierre is not tanking a season. Pierre is still in baseball as is Wise.

I'm amazed at the Ozzie hate, amazed. We won a WS. I guess some people still think that's easy to do despite the history of the Chicago White Sox.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
1.) My recollection is Jenks was closer about as long as the other guys who have been demoted were closers. He'd blow a couple then it'd be closer by committee and he'd return. It's not like Jenks was getting shelled every time. In fact, Jenks battled back that one year and uh, DOMINATED all summer after blowing several.

2.) Playing Kotsay and Pierre is not tanking a season. Pierre is still in baseball as is Wise.

I'm amazed at the Ozzie hate, amazed. We won a WS. I guess some people still think that's easy to do despite the history of the Chicago White Sox.

Jenks's ERA by month, 2010:

April/March 5

May 7.88

June 0.75

July 7.56

August 4.15

Sept/Oct 2

That 7.56 ERA in July was slightly less than dominating. And your memory is just as faulty otherwise...every time Ozzie said he was taking the Closer's job away, Jenks still came out.

Pierre and Wise are playing because multiple other people are hurt. They would not be doing so otherwise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)

Nevermind that as of Monday morning the Marlins had won 2 less games than they had won after the same amount played last year, and the team that only won because of Ozzie was 4 games better than last season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Jenks had 27 saves in 2010. Not half bad. Sergio blew some last year as well and Santiago blew some this year.

I like how your statement that Jenks dominated the whole summer was completely destroyed, so you fell back on a less reliable metric without acknowledging anything.

Jenks having 27 saves despite his continually terrible, unreliable performance might also suggest that...Ozzie was stubbornly keeping him in the closer role despite the fact that he was regularly giving up runs and blowing important games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Nevermind that as of Monday morning the Marlins had won 2 less games than they had won after the same amount played last year, and the team that only won because of Ozzie was 4 games better than last season.

And that's after spending a few hundred million last offseason.

Not to get off topic, but if you or anyone had seen any games in 2010 in person, you would have seen how much Jenks actually struggled and how hard batters were hitting him.

His stats were improved by the defense he had behind him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I like how your statement that Jenks dominated the whole summer was completely destroyed, so you fell back on a less reliable metric without acknowledging anything.

Jenks having 27 saves despite his continually terrible, unreliable performance might also suggest that...Ozzie was stubbornly keeping him in the closer role despite the fact that he was regularly giving up runs and blowing important games.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Not to get off topic, but if you or anyone had seen any games in 2010 in person, you would have seen how much Jenks actually struggled and how hard batters were hitting him.

His stats were improved by the defense he had behind him.

Yes but how do we get the conclusion that Ozzie is giving away games and purposely blowing games by pitching a guy who had 27 saves???

I couldn't find a game by game of that year but as I recall he had a nice hot streak; maybe it was all of June.

The Marlins are going to make the playoffs and Ozzie is going to manage there a long time.

I just hope we continue to win on the southside as well.