The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Hopefully the Sox learned a lesson with the Buehrle fiasco.

Think of how many fans just gave up on their season tix last winter (LOTS) when the team didn't sign Mark. Lots of ill will there.

Remember how bad a season Dunn and Rios had? Fans were asked to buy tickets for a franchise that would pay those 2 and not pay Mark.

Fans on the southside can't be fooled.

Letting Mark walk was a BAD business decision.

You have absolutely no proof of this. Maybe Sox fans gave up their season tickets because they didn't bring back Ramon Castro? Letting Mark go was a great business decision, especially if the Sox want to give extensions in a few years to Sale and Viciedo, etc.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
You have absolutely no proof of this. Maybe Sox fans gave up their season tickets because they didn't bring back Ramon Castro? Letting Mark go was a great business decision, especially if the Sox want to give extensions in a few years to Sale and Viciedo, etc.

You are correct that we don't have proof, but the club may have some if they bothered to ask why tickets were not renewed. Would you guess more people would drop because of Mark not being signed or Castro? My guess would be Mark, but I'd love to hear how Castro may have had a greater impact.

And btw, I would place economic factors #1 on the list of dropped season tickets followed by life style changes.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)

Look at the attendance figures.

How can it be a great business decision?

You own a business and you let one of your most popular dividends leave. One of the fans' two favorite players.

You replace that ultra popular person with ... nobody.

What remains are a lot of unlikeable characters to go with some likeable ones (Paulie, Lexi for starters).

Letting Mark go IMO was the dumbest business decision of all time. The Sox deserve lousy attendance after that IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)

You own a business and you let one of your most popular dividends leave. You replace that ultra popular person with ... nobody.

What remains are a lot of unlikeable characters to go with some likeable ones.

Letting Mark go IMO was the dumbest business decision of all time. The Sox deserve lousy attendance after that IMO.

Your beloved Hawk Harrelson was talking last night about how he thinks the city of Chicago has really started to like this year's team. I find this year's team a lot more fun to watch than last year by getting to watch Viciedo, De Aza, Sale (as a starter), Jones and Reed. As I pointed out a month or so ago, there was never any indication that Buehrle starting in a game at home led to a greater attendance in that game as opposed to when Floyd started, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
As I pointed out a month or so ago, there was never any indication that Buehrle starting in a game at home led to a greater attendance in that game as opposed to when Floyd started, etc.

But how many of the Buehrle jersey people just threw up their hands last winter and said, "It's time. This team blows and now that they've gotten rid of Mark it's easy for me to move on. We'll watch the games on TV this year and save all that money."

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
But how many of the Buehrle jersey people just threw up their hands last winter and said, "It's time. This team blows and now that they've gotten rid of Mark it's easy for me to move on. We'll watch the games on TV this year and save all that money."

Nobody. A M-56 jersey is always welcome at the Cell. It will eventually be worn on a statue.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)

You own a business and you let one of your most popular dividends leave. One of the fans' two favorite players.

You replace that ultra popular person with ... nobody.

What remains are a lot of unlikeable characters to go with some likeable ones (Paulie, Lexi for starters).

That attendance drop has been going on for a number of years now though. The revenue was already departing because of the fact that the team was losing while having Buehrle and Ozzie.

That revenue drop would have been the same this year if they'd kept Mark. They just would have had to sell off Konerko to do it.

Any fans who stopped coming cause of Mark aren't real fans. I actually teared up when Mark left and my Buehrle t-shirt is hanging in my closet. I wore it the day after he signed and not one time since. Few White Sox fans were as crushed as me to see Mark leave, yet I still go to the games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Letting Mark go IMO was the dumbest business decision of all time.

Actually I think a worse business decision was moving the Sox to pay TV (Sportsvision) in the 80's while the Cubs stayed with WGN.

Letting Harry go to the Cubs ranks right up their too.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 25, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Actually I think a worse business decision was moving the Sox to pay TV (Sportsvision) in the 80's while the Cubs stayed with WGN.

Bingo. Up until that point, the Sox had spent decades outdrawing the Cubs regularly. Then two things happened. One of them was the business-stupid decision you mention here, and that is on Reinsdorf et al. They gave away local fans and regional fans. The other was the transformation of the neighborhoods - Wrigleyville ascending to be a hot spot, and the areas around Comiskey going further downhill.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
Bingo. Up until that point, the Sox had spent decades outdrawing the Cubs regularly. Then two things happened. One of them was the business-stupid decision you mention here, and that is on Reinsdorf et al. They gave away local fans and regional fans. The other was the transformation of the neighborhoods - Wrigleyville ascending to be a hot spot, and the areas around Comiskey going further downhill.

Except nowadays, revenues from cable networks are absolutely exploding, and that seems like the place you actually want to be. 3 years ago I'd have agreed, now I'm no longer so sure.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Any fans who stopped coming cause of Mark aren't real fans. I actually teared up when Mark left and my Buehrle t-shirt is hanging in my closet. I wore it the day after he signed and not one time since. Few White Sox fans were as crushed as me to see Mark leave, yet I still go to the games.

You crybaby.

JK :P

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Heath Bell knocked out in another save opportunity but Choate survives to get the win over the Giants, 5-3.

$27 million well spent!

I bet the Marlins can't wait for Leo Nunez (or Oviedo) to come back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)

You make it seem as though every game Mark pitched was a guaranteed sellout. And you obviously don't understand baseball economics either if you feel we needed to sign him to a huge multi-year deal for tens of millions of dollars.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 25, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)

Letting Harry go to the Cubs ranks right up their too.

Umm, letting Buehrle go was a move that the majority of realistic White Sox fans knew was due to happen.

Would it have happened had Peavy, Dunn and Rios lived up to their contracts since 2009, of course not.

And even had they made the playoffs in 2010 or 2011, it still probably wouldn't have been a wise move economically for the team long-term to make that kind of commitment. But sure, you can argue that giving Danks that kind of money in retrospect wasn't warranted, either.

If you really want to discuss heartbreak, it would be Paul Konerko having his 2010-2012 seasons with a team like the Yankees. That would be MUCH harder to stomach for most Sox fans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 29, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
Ozzie is such a copy cat, having the same record as the Sox. What a Cutler face.

Right now, both Ventura and Guillen are contenders for manager of the year in their leagues.

Both should be proud.

Guillen is a proven leader whose team is kicking ass and in contention.

Ventura was doing nothing in baseball last year, but obviously has a feel for the game and currently a better feel than Ozzie for how much rest a player needs. Ozzie's Sunday lineups were not conducive to winning. Other than that, he was/is quite outstanding.

Both deserve a grade of A at this present time.

I hope it's a Sox-Marlins WS. Hopefully the AL wins the all-star game. Homefield advantage is HUGE in the WS.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Right now, both Ventura and Guillen are contenders for manager of the year in their leagues.

Both should be proud.

Guillen is a proven leader whose team is kicking ass and in contention.

Ventura was doing nothing in baseball last year, but obviously has a feel for the game and currently a better feel than Ozzie for how much rest a player needs. Ozzie's Sunday lineups were not conducive to winning. Other than that, he was/is quite outstanding.

Both deserve a grade of A at this present time.

I hope it's a Sox-Marlins WS. Hopefully the AL wins the all-star game. Homefield advantage is HUGE in the WS.

Yeah, it's a good thing Robin has eradicated those Sunday lineups.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
Or when Robin Ventura wins Manager of the year in the AL...

I said he's leading contender in the AL.

Why would it bother me to have him win it? It'd probably mean the Sox are division champs at the very least.