The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
f*** giving them Mitchell. Buehrle's contract is so back loaded it was designed to be traded if they didn't contend.

To get 30 mil, it would have to be a good prospect.

Mitchell is good, but not a future star in my opinion.

In one scene in the article, Guillen uses a fungo bat to play golf behind the backstop during batting practice, openly joking about the fact that he's supposed to look busy while Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is in town.

"This is the best job," says Guillen. "Do Nothing."

Guillen also does little to dispel the notion that he isn't the most prepared manager in Major League Baseball ("I drink a lot, bro."), even going so far as to marginalize the role of the manager in the big leagues entirely. In another scene, he refers journalists asking questions about the day's starting pitcher to pitching coach Randy St. Claire, whose office was next door.

"That's why you got f---ing guys there as the coaches," shrugs Guillen.

The best bits of the article, however, come secondhand from Guillen's 26-year-old son, Oney Guillen. He recounts one story in which he asked his father how he planned to celebrate his 48th birthday.

"I'm going to f--- your mom very well tonight," replied the elder Guillen.

In another scene in the article, Guillen cannot be found while the team runs an infield drill. As it turns out, Guillen is likely inside playing games on his iPad while his assistant coach runs the drill. His son kind of sells him out.

"See, my dad went inside and Joey's [Cora, the Marlins' bench coach] running all this," says Oney Guillen. "Right now, he doesn't have a TV in his office, so he's probably just sitting there. He likes to eat popcorn. He got an iPad -- he just likes playing dominoes on it."

One can only imagine how little Guillen would get done if he did have a TV in his office.

But as disheveled and unprepared as Guillen comes off in the article, there is a kind of genius to his approach. While the modern view of the major league manager is of someone who spends hours pouring over scouting reports and advanced metrics, the reality is that a manager's strategy has very little to do with the outcome of baseball games.

In the days of SABR and advanced mathemetical analysis of baseball, the prevailing view has become that the moves a manager makes during the course of nine innings matter very little when compared to individual player performances. The math has confirmed the general opinion that, in baseball, the manager's job is much more about managing 25 personalities than it is filling out lineup cards, figuring bullpen matchups or deciding when to pinch hit.

This is why Guillen is a genius -- even if it's only incidental.

"This is not instructional league," says Guillen in The New Yorker article. "We not teaching here."

http://www.nesn.com/2012/06/ozzie-guillen-...ll-thought.html

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
LMAO that article paints Guillen in very nice light. gregbot would be very proud

"love this guy! he plays dominos, he doesnt need to be a manager!"

That article was great. Oz is right. This is not the instructional league. I prefer a low key manager who lets the players play. I mean all managers will be second guessed. Look at Robin today. So he pulls the starter and the reliever blows his first save. This doesn't freak me out at all. s*** happens. Yes he should have left him in ... in hindsight. But Reed let the manager and the team down. It's not really Robin's fault; it could have gone either way. s***, the young lefty mighta got shelled in the ninth. We'll never know.

Just like Ozzie. He makes decisions and most of them are the same as any other manager.

Ozz is low key. Oz is the man. Great article.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
That article was great. Oz is right. This is not the instructional league. I prefer a low key manager who lets the players play. I mean all managers will be second guessed. Look at Robin today. So he pulls the starter and the reliever blows his first save. This doesn't freak me out at all. s*** happens. Yes he should have left him in ... in hindsight. But Reed let the manager and the team down. It's not really Robin's fault; it could have gone either way. s***, the young lefty mighta got shelled in the ninth. We'll never know.

Just like Ozzie. He makes decisions and most of them are the same as any other manager.

The problem is that he never applied his KNOWLEDGE of the fact that almost none of his players were fundamentally-inclined and changed his decision making process about bunting, for example.

And it's not exactly accurate to say they never focused on fundamentals...they had their Camp Cora and every year there would be a procession of fundamental mistakes that would lead to the team having an offday dedicated to bunting or whatever the soup of the day problem was was and it would "take" for about a game or two and then everything would go back to crap and it would be totally forgotten.

It's one thing to say the major league coaching staff isn't accountable or responsible for the lack of preparation or tools Sox players arrive at the big leagues with...it's quite another to run yourself into out after out after out and then blaming the players when blame really should have been directed at our minor league system for doing such a poor job of preparing players in terms of those "little things."

I'd go as far as to say that all the better minor league prospects should have been flown over to Japan or South Korea in the offseason for a REAL fundamentals bootcamp, Asian-style.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)

It is amazing how much better the White Sox baseball IQ got when Robin walked in the door. They quit overthrowing bases, missing cutoff men, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
It is amazing how much better the White Sox baseball IQ got when Robin walked in the door. They quit overthrowing bases, missing cutoff men, etc.

And that's in large part because he did such a poor job of managing the personalities and creating a circus-like atmosphere that it actually served as a distraction for the players...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
And that's in large part because he did such a poor job of managing the personalities and creating a circus-like atmosphere that it actually served as a distraction for the players...

It sounds like they also did the inhumane thing and quit talking about those things, and started practicing them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)

He said he does nothing in the job...come on man.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
wrong. He plays dominos and tells his kids he is gonna f*** their mom.

What do you want your manager to do? You know how many hours they spend at the park? Ozz has time to f*** around. Like he said, let the coaches do the things they are paid for. The manager is the organizer. I wouldn't read scads of stats on the Internet either, if I were Ozzie. His track record suggests his style works.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
What do you want your manager to do? You know how many hours they spend at the park? Ozz has time to f*** around. Like he said, let the coaches do the things they are paid for. The manager is the organizer. I wouldn't read scads of stats on the Internet either, if I were Ozzie. His track record suggests his style works.

Make that past tense, WORKED.

He hasn't adjusted since 2005.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Make that past tense, WORKED.

He hasn't adjusted since 2005.

I am guessing it works for a while, then fades as players skills erode and they stop listening to Ozzie, not to mention he alienates and buries others.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)

Oh Greg...you are truly something else...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)

I think Ozzie would have to learn how to read to be able to read scads of stats on the internet.

But as disheveled and unprepared as Guillen comes off in the article, there is a kind of genius to his approach. While the modern view of the major league manager is of someone who spends hours pouring over scouting reports and advanced metrics, the reality is that a manager's strategy has very little to do with the outcome of baseball games.

In the days of SABR and advanced mathemetical analysis of baseball, the prevailing view has become that the moves a manager makes during the course of nine innings matter very little when compared to individual player performances. The math has confirmed the general opinion that, in baseball, the manager's job is much more about managing 25 personalities than it is filling out lineup cards, figuring bullpen matchups or deciding when to pinch hit.

This is why Guillen is a genius -- even if it's only incidental.

"This is not instructional league," says Guillen in The New Yorker article. "We not teaching here."

Could you imagine how much better the Rays would be if they had Ozzie as manager letting them do whatever the f*** they wanted, instead of Joe Maddon who is always making those little tweaks?

I simply love that the Sox got anything at all for that windbag piece of s***.