The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...7?new_post=true

Hanley, Josh, Nolasco all drawing interest

2 minutes ago by KenRosenthal

The Miami Marlins are telling other clubs, “We are open for business.” And already, those clubs are calling Marlins officials, inquiring about trades for specific players.

Among the Marlins drawing interest, according to major-league sources: Third baseman Hanley Ramirez, first baseman Carlos Lee, right-handed starters Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco and left-handed reliever Randy Choate.

The Marlins’ position is clear: They intend to make baseball trades, not simply dump salaries. And the first of their moves came Monday, when they sent right-hander Anibal Sanchez and infielder Omar Infante to the Detroit Tigers for a package headed by right-hander Jacob Turner.

One source says the Marlins will “absolutely try and try hard” to move closer Heath Bell, but the team isn’t optimistic that such a move will happen.

Bell, who has blown six saves and has a 6.05 ERA is in the first year of a three-year, $27 million free-agent contract. Like many of the Marlins' recent signees, his contract is back-loaded. He will earn $9 million in both 2013 and ’14.

-Ken Rosenthal

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Interesting that Buehrle's name didn't come up.

How will he be more marketable in the future? Eventually, they're going to have to send some salary relief to move him.

Why would they want to move him? They want to win and he is a valuable piece to winning. They want to move some of the bums it appears.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Why would they want to move him? They want to win and he is a valuable piece to winning. They want to move some of the bums it appears.

Yeah, Infante and Sanchez are bums

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Interesting that Buehrle's name didn't come up.

How will he be more marketable in the future? Eventually, they're going to have to send some salary relief to move him.

Not that Buehrle would do it, but isnt there a clause in contracts that say you can opt for free agency if you are traded in year one of a multi-year deal?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
Not that Buehrle would do it, but isnt there a clause in contracts that say you can opt for free agency if you are traded in year one of a multi-year deal?

I doubt he would considering how much he got paid because of the Marlins spending and his market value being so high last year

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)

You're joking right?

Sanchez was one of their better starters for the past few years. Infante was an all-star second basemen who's having a respectable year. Hanley Ramirez could very well be their best player in franchise history (him or Beckett).

And they don't value winning. Never have, never will. They value $$$.

You can demand another trade and then if you don't get that second trade, you can opt out of the contract, but his contract is so backloaded there's pretty much no chance of that. After this season his deal is 3 years/$48M.

Of course, his contract being so backloaded is also why there's virtually no chance the Marlins trade him now anyway.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
And they don't value winning. Never have, never will. They value $$$.

FACT. Loria deserves that under-achieving team for what he did to the Expos.

I find it too funny that their sell off has begun 4 months into the first year of new stadium/big money contracts

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

One player #Marlins reluctant to trade: Bonifacio. Replacement for Infante at 2B. Speed guy, suits Ozzie’s style.

Oh, Ozzie's "style". I don't miss that! Bonifacio has a .699 OPS this season, by the way.

That Passon story was pretty eye-opening.

I didn't realize Loria and that team president were that bad. WOW.

This is the first time I am thinking Ozzie may only last one year in Miami, cause that Miami owner is nuts.

I love the line in the Passon story about how the players hated that speech Loria gave to the team. That he was laughed at behind his back.

And Loria was all proud of the speech. I remember reading about that in the Miami Herald. Of course Miami lost that night he gave the speech I am pretty sure.

Passon deserves an award for that story though. WOW, what reading.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
That Passon story was pretty eye-opening.

I didn't realize Loria and that team president were that bad. WOW.

This is the first time I am thinking Ozzie may only last one year in Miami, cause that Miami owner is nuts.

I love the line in the Passon story about how the players hated that speech Loria gave to the team. That he was laughed at behind his back.

And Loria was all proud of the speech. I remember reading about that in the Miami Herald. Of course Miami lost that night he gave the speech I am pretty sure.

Passon deserves an award for that story though. WOW, what reading.

Many owners are. Bud Selig promised that the Brewers would be winners if they got a new stadium.

They are good at fleecing the community into using tax payer dollars to build stadiums. Owners don't build them because they know they are bad investments.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Many owners are. Bud Selig promised that the Brewers would be winners if they got a new stadium.

They are good at fleecing the community into using tax payer dollars to build stadiums. Owners don't build them because they know they are bad investments.

Good point. As OK as the Cell is, I don't think anybody would complain if the Sox built some amazing stadium somewhere else.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)

I get your point, but at least the Brewers consistenly spend money and try to win.

If Ozzie does get canned after one year I see him going into broadcasting before taking another managerial job. I also don't think anyone would hire him based on whats happened the last few years to teams under his watch...