The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2012 -> 05:34 AM)
Greg, remember this game from 2010?

Just realize that Jenks only got the loss in that game.

(what's totally awesome is that there are going to be several people who know, without clicking the link, the exact game I'm talking about, because it was by far the worst baseball experience of my entire life)

Oh he blew some games that final year, but hey, it's a big stretch to say Oz gave up on the team by pitching Jenks.

That's ludicrous.

QUOTE (MAX @ May 24, 2012 -> 05:48 AM)
He put his ego ahead of the team's performance. He betrayed the white sox. If he apologized for doing that, I might have an ounce of respect for him. Until then, I hope he continues to perform poorly, act foolish, and underachieve.

You really believe what you type?

How the hell did he "betray" the White Sox? By winning a WS?

You think KW doesn't have a big "ego" as well? And Jerry? If you guys want to make Ozzie the bad guy ... I say "for what?"

For winning consistently here? For bringing us a WS? Yes it ended badly. Big deal. I happen to blame the players for the team's effort the last couple years.

Some of you who get on him had to watch lousy Kotsay and Pierre and Wise and Pods and that former Nebraska player, I forget his name. Oh yes Erstad. They were such bad players. You poor poor fans. Well you still are watching bad players. Lillibridge, Escobar, Rios, some hack pitchers. There always will be some bad players.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:34 AM)

How the hell did he "betray" the White Sox? By winning a WS?

You think KW doesn't have a big "ego" as well? And Jerry? If you guys want to make Ozzie the bad guy ... I say "for what?"

For winning consistently here? For bringing us a WS? Yes it ended badly. Big deal. I happen to blame the players for the team's effort the last couple years.

Ozzie betrayed the Sox after 2005. Ozzie in 2012 =/= Ozzie in 2005. He felt like his victory in '05 enabled him to whatever he wanted. You know what that is? That'd be like after WW2 us looking at the Soviet Union going "...nah. They helped us win WW2. We're cool with them."

Everyone knows that KW has an ego. You act like Ozzie doesn't have the biggest ego in all of f***ing baseball. KW never tried to let this s*** effect the on field product or complain to the media about it. If Reinsdorf has an ego, he rarely lets it get in the way of his loyalty.

Consistently winning? What consistent winning? Here's Ozzie's year by year.

2004: 83-79. Could have done better, but pretty good for first year.

2005: 99-63. We all know what happens, 11-1 in playoffs. Good times had.

2006: 90-72. This team should have won the World Series, but didn't make the playoffs. Record should have been better. This year was a failure.

2007: 72-90. Well, that was a laughably bad year.

2008: 89-74. Stumbled at end, Danks stepped up for once to get them in via Game 163. Decimated in playoffs.

2009: 79-83. Well, this was the beginning of the end.

2010: 88-74. Had far more potential if we had Thome and the Twins didn't.

2011: 78-82. Ozzie threw games left and right. Intentionally. Obviously.

That is not consistent and it's mediocrity.

You blame the players for the teams effort? Then they get all the credit for over-achieving in 2005. One or the other. Ozzie is the manager, he's supposed to get effort. He also could have played De Aza over Rios, Viciedo over Dunn, etc.

Some of you who get on him had to watch lousy Kotsay and Pierre and Wise and Pods and that former Nebraska player, I forget his name. Oh yes Erstad. They were such bad players. You poor poor fans. Well you still are watching bad players. Lillibridge, Escobar, Rios, some hack pitchers. There always will be some bad players

Ok, I know Buehrle and Paulie are somehow inhumanly ageless, but other players aren't. Kotsay is a piece of s*** who made a good bench player, that's it. Definitely not a full time DH. My friends who are Brewers fans hated having him last year. Pierre at this point is a bench player because he can't get on base. However, he wouldn't be playing if not for injuries. I liked Juan Dog though, he tried, he was just laughably bad at one point. Wise is a AAAA player. Brian Anderson is the equivalent of DeWayne Wise minus the cool-ass catch. Erstad was an injury plagued season removed from being a good ass player. Rios has been fine this year by the way, you just don't like him because you want a guy who was out of baseball in 2010 starting in RF still.

Oh, apparently it is possible to stutter while typing since you forgot Erstad's name and remembered it in the span of a period.

And us poor poor fans for wanting good players on our team? Well, f*** us then. Let's just go down to the T-Ball field get 25 kids and as long as they try hard that's OK. And f*** us for wanting someone who puts the team before himself.

Like I said before, get that s*** outta here.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 24, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)

Ozzie betrayed the Sox after 2005. Ozzie in 2012 =/= Ozzie in 2005. He felt like his victory in '05 enabled him to whatever he wanted. You know what that is? That'd be like after WW2 us looking at the Soviet Union going "...nah. They helped us win WW2. We're cool with them."

Everyone knows that KW has an ego. You act like Ozzie doesn't have the biggest ego in all of f***ing baseball. KW never tried to let this s*** effect the on field product or complain to the media about it. If Reinsdorf has an ego, he rarely lets it get in the way of his loyalty.

2006: 90-72. This team should have won the World Series, but didn't make the playoffs. Record should have been better. This year was a failure.

2008: 89-74. Stumbled at end, Danks stepped up for once to get them in via Game 163. Decimated in playoffs.

You blame the players for the teams effort? Then they get all the credit for over-achieving in 2005. One or the other. Ozzie is the manager, he's supposed to get effort. He also could have played De Aza over Rios, Viciedo over Dunn, etc.

Ok, I know Buehrle and Paulie are somehow inhumanly ageless, but other players aren't. Kotsay is a piece of s*** who made a good bench player, that's it. Definitely not a full time DH. My friends who are Brewers fans hated having him last year. Pierre at this point is a bench player because he can't get on base. However, he wouldn't be playing if not for injuries. I liked Juan Dog though, he tried, he was just laughably bad at one point. Wise is a AAAA player. Brian Anderson is the equivalent of DeWayne Wise minus the cool-ass catch. Erstad was an injury plagued season removed from being a good ass player. Rios has been fine this year by the way, you just don't like him because you want a guy who was out of baseball in 2010 starting in RF still.

Oh, apparently it is possible to stutter while typing since you forgot Erstad's name and remembered it in the span of a period.

And us poor poor fans for wanting good players on our team? Well, f*** us then. Let's just go down to the T-Ball field get 25 kids and as long as they try hard that's OK. And f*** us for wanting someone who puts the team before himself.

Someone call Elton John because the b**** is back! :whip

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Greg, remember this game from 2010?

Just realize that Jenks only got the loss in that game.

(what's totally awesome is that there are going to be several people who know, without clicking the link, the exact game I'm talking about, because it was by far the worst baseball experience of my entire life)

What I forgot about that was how good the Sox were doing going into that series and then how tragically it all ended.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
Yes but how do we get the conclusion that Ozzie is giving away games and purposely blowing games by pitching a guy who had 27 saves???

I couldn't find a game by game of that year but as I recall he had a nice hot streak; maybe it was all of June.

The Marlins are going to make the playoffs and Ozzie is going to manage there a long time.

I just hope we continue to win on the southside as well.

Guillen was great when he started then he turned into an egomaniac and brought a whole organization down with him because of his bombastic attitude.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
You're right, when the Sox are starting Molina, Quintana and Castro next year to go along with Floyd, it would have been great to have Buehrle and his 4.00 ERA for 13 million a year to help the team win 75 games instead of 72. It was the right business decision to let him go, and let's just hope Danks can turn it around.

And for people who prefer to get their sports news from the middle of the newspaper or the WSJ, instead of the back page, that means a lot. For fans who prefer watching a very good player pitch, who would continue to at least follow the team every five days, a winning bottom line for a privately held corporation, ain't that great of news.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
And for people who prefer to get their sports news from the middle of the newspaper or the WSJ, instead of the back page, that means a lot. For fans who prefer watching a very good player pitch, who would continue to at least follow the team every five days, a winning bottom line for a privately held corporation, ain't that great of news.

That has nothing to do with it. It's a good business decision because you don't want you team handicapped by an overpriced contract as a player's skill set diminishes with age.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Too bad the thread won't end right here.

It should have ended with this a few posts above yours:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
I find it comical that folks are still trying to convince greg that Ozzie is anything short of amazing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
That has nothing to do with it. It's a good business decision because you don't want you team handicapped by an overpriced contract as a player's skill set diminishes with age.

I am with you 100%. Yeah profits! I still would be so crushed if I found out the team lost money in 2005. It would totally ruin that WS for me.

Which year(s) payroll made 2005 possible?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
I am with you 100%. Yeah profits! I still would be so crushed if I found out the team lost money in 2005. It would totally ruin that WS for me.

Which year(s) payroll made 2005 possible?

#OccupyUSCellular Jerry & the 1% won't overpay old ballplayers that hold nostalgic value to me. I don't care how much they cost, it's not my money!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Wasn't one of the main reasons KW could sign a lot of free agents (Dye, Hermanson, Iguchi, AJ) due to not being handcuffed by Carlos Lee's contract anymore?

100 percent yes and you know that.

Tex for whatever reason refuses to acknowledge that and instead tries to make witty comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the point all of us are making.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 24, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)

Yes I believe what I write

And your listing of records backs me up.

Considering the White Sox history this is a damn fine record you listed of the Oz era. This is a pretty damn good stretch record wise.

You say "get that s*** outta here" and yet you say what you said about 2011? Cmon. if Ozzie threw games there should be a MLB investigation and he should be Pete Rosed and his career hosed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Yes I believe what I write

And your listing of records backs me up.

Considering the White Sox history this is a damn fine record you listed of the Oz era. This is a pretty damn good stretch record wise.

You say "get that s*** outta here" and yet you say what you said about 2011? Cmon. if Ozzie threw games there should be a MLB investigation and he should be Pete Rosed and his career hosed.

Throwing games by playing s***ty players and throwing games by being the 1919 White Sox are two different things.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Throwing games by playing s***ty players and throwing games by being the 1919 White Sox are two different things.

Yes, Ozzie is responsible for acquiring all the s***ty players. Ozzie is the devil. Ozzie is responsible for everything that's bad with our pathetic organization. Sorry I can't blame the demise of the Roman empire on Ozzie.

He played Dunn. He could have benched him.

He played Rios. He could have benched him.

WHO ACQUIRED THOSE TWO PLAYERS???

Did he also aquire stiffs like Lilly and Escobar and some of the revolving relief hacks we employ?

No but he pitched Jenks. He WANTED to lose. Sure he did.

The man was and IS a very very good manager.

He threw games? Please.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Yes, Ozzie is responsible for acquiring all the s***ty players. Ozzie is the devil. Ozzie is responsible for everything that's bad with our pathetic organization. Sorry I can't blame the demise of the Roman empire on Ozzie.

Did he also aquire stiffs like Lilly and Escobar and some of the revolving relief hacks we employ?

He threw games? Please.

Kenny acquired them. We know that. He's been demonized for it.

No, he's acquired none of those players you mentioned.

He didn't acquire De Aza either, who he could have played over Rios last year. He didn't acquire Viciedo, who he could have played over Dunn.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)

He threw games? Please.

Who didn't want Jim Thome? Oh yeah, Ozzie Guillen. What was the effect of this? Oh yeah, signing Adam Dunn. It's a domino effect.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Kenny acquired them. We know that. He's been demonized for it.

No, he's acquired none of those players you mentioned.

He didn't acquire De Aza either, who he could have played over Rios last year. He didn't acquire Viciedo, who he could have played over Dunn.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Who didn't want Jim Thome? Oh yeah, Ozzie Guillen. What was the effect of this? Oh yeah, signing Adam Dunn. It's a domino effect.

1.) You don't bench guys making the kind of jack Rios and Dunn make (see Soriano of the Cubs and other overpaid stiffs). You pencil them in and hope for the best and hope they fire the GM who acquired them. Oh wait, the GM said Ozzie was free to play who he wanted. Big deal. Playing devil's advocate aren't you now happy Dunn played all last year considering his finally getting adjusted to the AL?

2.) I knew that would get brought up. Yes, Ozzie makes all the calls for the White Sox. He didn't want Thome and forced Kenny to tell Thome he'd get minimal at bats if he resigned with the Sox. I will never understand this Ozzie hatred. The man is not Terry Bevington; he is Ozzie "I have a ring in a city that does not win baseball rings" Guillen.

Edited by greg775