The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
Greg, remember this game from 2010?

Just realize that Jenks only got the loss in that game.

(what's totally awesome is that there are going to be several people who know, without clicking the link, the exact game I'm talking about, because it was by far the worst baseball experience of my entire life)

Thanks for ruining my day, Wite.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 24, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Kenny acquired them. We know that. He's been demonized for it.

No, he's acquired none of those players you mentioned.

He didn't acquire De Aza either, who he could have played over Rios last year. He didn't acquire Viciedo, who he could have played over Dunn.

And look at how many of those guys have bounced back since they got away from Ozzie. Nick Swisher... Jim Thome... Adam Dunn... Alex Rios.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
And look at how many of those guys have bounced back since they got away from Ozzie. Nick Swisher... Jim Thome... Adam Dunn... Alex Rios.

I don't know if it's completely fair to say Thome bounced back, since he was always pretty darned good with the Sox.

His last year was a bit disappointing by Thome standards, but hardly "bad."

But yeah, his 2010 season with the Twins was pretty impressive, while he was healthy and somewhat limited in his plate appearances and exposure to LHP.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Hey, if you don't ignore the obvious Greg Ozzie baiting, it will go away. Some of you are more obsessed with Ozzie than he is.

Can we just censor "Ozzie" on the board? That'd be fun.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:13 AM)
Is Miami's stadium indoor? Retractible roof?

Please tell me most games are played with the roof open?

I hate domes. Ozzie does too.

Retractable roof.

They have some wall windows they can open as well. Supposedly for games, roof closed, windows open is the setting they prefer.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
100 percent yes and you know that.

Tex for whatever reason refuses to acknowledge that and instead tries to make witty comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the point all of us are making.

I would rather the team lose money and win than make money and lose. I "lose" money every month on my mortagage but I am building equity. The value of the franchise continues to rise. It isn't like the investors will lose money on their investment long term. If people are really that interested in the team's finances, send them a check.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
I would rather the team lose money and win than make money and lose. I "lose" money every month on my mortagage but I am building equity. The value of the franchise continues to rise. It isn't like the investors will lose money on their investment long term. If people are really that interested in the team's finances, send them a check.

I'm sure every single fan agrees with this statement.

For 2010, according to Forbes, the team showed a $26million profit. In 2011 they again showed a profit according to Forbes. :headbang :headbang :headbang In fact only three teams showed loses in 2011. Tigers (won division), Mets (sucked), and Red Sox (90 wins). I'd rather be the Tiger's fan winning a division than losing the division but knowing the owners made a few million bucks profit.

So what's that done for our Sox? Flexibility to land an aging out of position fill-in 3rd baseman while MB is pitching in Florida? That's something the fans will come out to see. I understand looking for something to feel good about this season. If it's performance to the balance sheet that gets you excited, cool. But I'm just not that excited about returns in someone else's portfolio. I haven't seen years of profits directly leading to years of winning.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
For 2010, according to Forbes, the team showed a $26million profit. In 2011 they again showed a profit according to Forbes. :headbang :headbang :headbang In fact only three teams showed loses in 2011. Tigers (won division), Mets (sucked), and Red Sox (90 wins). I'd rather be the Tiger's fan winning a division than losing the division but knowing the owners made a few million bucks profit.

So what's that done for our Sox? Flexibility to land an aging out of position fill-in 3rd baseman while MB is pitching in Florida? That's something the fans will come out to see. I understand looking for something to feel good about this season. If it's performance to the balance sheet that gets you excited, cool. But I'm just not that excited about returns in someone else's portfolio. I haven't seen years of profits directly leading to years of winning.

Not a single person has said that, but I see it makes you feel better to keep making that point.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Wasn't one of the main reasons KW could sign a lot of free agents (Dye, Hermanson, Iguchi, AJ) due to not being handcuffed by Carlos Lee's contract anymore?

But they signed someone. They spent the money. They weren't holding it looking to make a profit.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)

You also can't buy a Gold Coast penthouse on your salary, which is the point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Not a single person has said that, but I see it makes you feel better to keep making that point.

Really, no one here believes strongly that the team should not have signed MB because they need to turn a profit this season to be contenders? Then I apologize. I thought that was exactly what some people were saying.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Really, no one here believes strongly that the team should not have signed MB because they need to turn a profit this season to be contenders? Then I apologize. I thought that was exactly what some people were saying.

If the team is going to avoid losing money and be in contention, then it should not sign players to bad contracts they are unlikely to live up to.

Having players signed to bad contracts is why we're rebuilding this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
If the team is going to avoid losing money and be in contention, then it should not sign players to bad contracts they are unlikely to live up to.

There are not too many guarantees that players will live up to their contracts. What qualities would you look for in someone that would? Injury history? Consistency of seasons? Age? Conditioning? Attitude? History with a team / town / organization?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
There are not too many guarantees that players will live up to their contracts. What qualities would you look for in someone that would? Injury history? Consistency of seasons? Age? Conditioning? Attitude? History with a team / town / organization?

Most of those qualities would be taken into consideration among many others. Except for a history with a team, that really means little in predicting a player's future performance.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Most of those qualities would be taken into consideration among many others. Except for a history with a team, that really means little in predicting a player's future performance.

If the player has had frequent run-ins with the manager, key players, or others within the organization, I think that would be a good reason to not sign them. Likewise, if they are happy in the city, have represented the organization well, that could factor in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)

Part 1. Teams have lost money and been in contention.

So we wouldn't be rebuilding if those guys were signed to league minimum contracts? We're rebuilding because a couple players are playing poorly who were counted on for mayor contributions. It doesn't matter if they are making league minimum or heavier. They need to be replaced.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)

Hopefully the Sox learned a lesson with the Buehrle fiasco.

Think of how many fans just gave up on their season tix last winter (LOTS) when the team didn't sign Mark. Lots of ill will there.

Remember how bad a season Dunn and Rios had? Fans were asked to buy tickets for a franchise that would pay those 2 and not pay Mark.

Fans on the southside can't be fooled.

Letting Mark walk was a BAD business decision.

Edited by greg775