The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
Ozzie had a dugout to dugout yelling match today in the 4th inning about pine tar on Bryce Harper's bat. I think Ozzie thought that Harper tried to show him up about it too, saying the kid was unprofessional. Always something.

Know what's unprofessional? Continuing to be a clown with the media, showing disrespect to other teams, having his teams be underachievers under him, etc. Don't worry, it's Heath Bell's fault. The Sox have corrected pretty much everything that was a problem for them last year now under Ventura, and they all fall under one category: FUNDAMENTALS. Ozzie is a f***ing joke. Enjoy your warm climate and s***ty team, a**hole. Your team has been shutout 9 times this year. THAT'S HEATH BELL'S FAULT, DAMNIT.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
Benedict Buehrle is a perfect fit for the NL. His numbers are way up, and his velocity will only go even lower from here on out.

Ugh. I don't even think the Sox wanted to keep Buehrle. They didn't seem too concerned about him leaving. Why call Mark something like that? I wish he was still in Chicago.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Is Greg going to Wrigley this week? I picture him as Cusack holding up the boom box in SAY ANYTHING.

Playing the lousy Cubs may turn Miami's season around. Is that series with Washington a wraparound 4 gamer? It's 1-2 vs. Wash over the weekend isn't it?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 11:39 PM)
Know what's unprofessional? Continuing to be a clown with the media, showing disrespect to other teams, having his teams be underachievers under him, etc. Don't worry, it's Heath Bell's fault. The Sox have corrected pretty much everything that was a problem for them last year now under Ventura, and they all fall under one category: FUNDAMENTALS. Ozzie is a f***ing joke. Enjoy your warm climate and s***ty team, a**hole. Your team has been shutout 9 times this year. THAT'S HEATH BELL'S FAULT, DAMNIT.

Geez. You have it in for Ozz. I think you protest too much.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Ugh. I don't even think the Sox wanted to keep Buehrle. They didn't seem too concerned about him leaving. Why call Mark something like that? I wish he was still in Chicago.

Playing the lousy Cubs may turn Miami's season around. Is that series with Washington a wraparound 4 gamer? It's 1-2 vs. Wash over the weekend isn't it?

He was clearly having fun with Buehrle and I'm sure the Wsox would have taken him back but only at a reasonable price. Miami is going nowhere and it isn't all on Ozzie but he sure didn't help the situation at all... and would you stop defending him so much just let it go and he prob gets brought up less... I'm starting to think you know him on a personal level.

Those lousy Cubs are 4-0-1 in their last 5 series & 11-5 in their last 16 games.

The only thing I'm "protesting" is that your love for Ozzie goes too far. He's an average manager.

So, in your mind, tell me who's fault you think these things are:

1) Making the playoffs one time from 2006-2011 after winning a championship

2) Having poor fundamentals as a team for many years during his tenure

3) Guys who sucked last year are very good this year (Rios, Dunn, Beckham [to an extent], Peavy [to an extent], etc)

4) The Marlins raising their payroll by millions and now are many games out (hint: you can't say Heath Bell if they've been shut out 9 times)

5) Fidel Castro comments

Ok, go.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
Those lousy Cubs are 4-0-1 in their last 5 series & 11-5 in their last 16 games.

Keep it going, Scrubbies!

looking at today's incident with Harper, is it possible, that with the way BH was holding and pointing the the bat, that he was saying "s**k my d**k" to Ozz?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)
He was clearly having fun with Buehrle and I'm sure the Wsox would have taken him back but only at a reasonable price. Miami is going nowhere and it isn't all on Ozzie but he sure didn't help the situation at all... and would you stop defending him so much just let it go and he prob gets brought up less... I'm starting to think you know him on a personal level.

Not a bad post except for your last point. Did you see the one guy is now posting at the end of every game thread how the "Sox would have lost today under Ozzie, 7-3." People are out of control with their criticism of Ozzie. It's getting absurd and I just stand up for him.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
The only thing I'm "protesting" is that your love for Ozzie goes too far. He's an average manager.

At least you said "average." I can buy that. It's the people who think he's the worst or horrible that anger me.

So, in your mind, tell me who's fault you think these things are:

1) Making the playoffs one time from 2006-2011 after winning a championship

2) Having poor fundamentals as a team for many years during his tenure

3) Guys who sucked last year are very good this year (Rios, Dunn, Beckham [to an extent], Peavy [to an extent], etc)

4) The Marlins raising their payroll by millions and now are many games out (hint: you can't say Heath Bell if they've been shut out 9 times)

5) Fidel Castro comments

Ok, go.

1.) Ozzie's fault, plus KW, and the players as well.

2.) I disagree on that. We couldn't bunt under Ozzie and still can't bunt. What other poor fundamentals are you talking about? AJ still can't throw guys out. I guess we are hitting the cutoff man better. Kudos to Robin if that's his doing.

3.) My stance has always been it's on the players. Rios and Dunn have had bounceback years and Beckham has still been average at best offensively; supurb defensively. It's on those players, not Oz. Peavy as well; he still has the same pitching coach. Players are the ones who perform; not the managers.

4.) I don't really care about the Marlins' situation. I do know Bell has sucked. Shut out nine times? If that happened here, it'd be all on Walker by our rabid fans.

5.) Ozzie opened his mouth again. I have never minded Ozzie's ramblings; others hate it. We agree to disagree. As far as Castro, I personally don't approve of the bastard. Ozzie was being Ozzie He got burned this time. He has explained over and over what he meant.

Not a bad post except for your last point. Did you see the one guy is now posting at the end of every game thread how the "Sox would have lost today under Ozzie, 7-3." People are out of control with their criticism of Ozzie. It's getting absurd and I just stand up for him.

we lose this game 3-2 with ozzie

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words into my mouth, thanks

By Manny Navarro

[email protected]

John Buck ended his day in a Marlins uniform Sunday by balling up a piece of tape and shooting it toward a trash can in the middle of the clubhouse.

“That was a damn good shot,’’ Buck said as the ball of tape nestled sweetly into the bottom of the trash can. “At least something went right today.’’

Although the Marlins hit a handful of shots Sunday — including a few with their bats — the only one that landed in a desirable location was Buck’s jumper.

The rest? Those seemed to land in either Roger Bernadina’s glove in center field or Ryan Zimmerman’s mitt at third as the first-place Nationals emerged with a 4-0 victory over the Marlins in front of 29,889 at Marlins Park. It’s the ninth time this season the Marlins (42-46) have been shut out.

“That’s the reason we lost,’’ Guillen said pointing to his team’s 1-for-13 effort with runners in scoring position. (White Sox are first in the majors at .299) “We got golden opportunities. We had one of the best pitchers in the game against the ropes and we didn’t take advantage. You want to be good, you have to get those things done.’’

Stephen Strasburg pitched six scoreless innings and struck out seven to improve to 3-1 with a 1.83 ERA in his career against the Marlins. In six career starts, Strasburg (10-4, 2.66 ERA in 2012) has held the Marlins without a run four times and has given up more than one run against them just once.

Sunday, the 23-year old former first overall pick also hurt the Marlins with his bat, driving in the Nationals’ first run with a two-out single to right field off Ricky Nolasco in the fifth after the Marlins intentionally walked catcher Jhonatan Solano (.294) to face Strasburg, who is hitting .385 this season.

“You don’t second-guess that. It was the right move to make,’’ said Nolasco (8-7), who lasted just 5 1/3 innings and gave up six hits and four earned runs. “I just let Ozzie down by not making the pitch there to Strasburg.

The Nationals had no trouble dodging the Marlins’ threats.

After Buck struck out swinging with runners on second and third to end the second, the Marlins loaded the bases in the third on Carlos Lee’s single to center.

But after third base coach Joe Espada held Nolasco at third on Lee’s hit (despite a bad throw home by Bernadina that sailed over Solano’s head), Strasburg struck out Logan Morrison and got Hanley Ramirez to bounce out.

“People can think whatever they want. It is a pitcher running,’’ Guillen said of why Nolasco wasn’t waved home. “The third-base coach can’t assume the ball will be over the catcher’s head.’’

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/15/2897...l#storylink=cpy

Ozzie Guillen calls Bryce Harper ‘unprofessional’ after pine tar spat

By Adam Kilgore

(J Pat Carter - Associated Press) Bryce Harper has done his level best to avoid controversy during his rookie season with the Nationals, but cyclonic Marlins Manager Ozzie Guillen dragged him into one Sunday afternoon during the Nationals’ 4-0 victory over Miami.

Guillen charged Harper with using too much pine tar on his bat, spewed a torrent of profanity at Harper during his at-bat in the fourth inning and afterward called Harper’s actions “unprofessional.” Guillen did not specify what caused his ire, but said it had “something” to do with how Harper pointed his bat at him before his second at-bat.

“First time, it’s going to stay between us,” Guillen said. “I could have said a lot of [stuff] about this kid. I’ve been praising this kid like everyday. The last three times they asked me about him, the only thing I said was he’s a great player. What he did [today] was unprofessional. I’m not going to tell you guys what he did because I’m not going to be talking about it on ESPN, Baseball Tonight, what happened again. I’ll just leave it like that. I’ll talk to his manager in a little while.”

The incident began after Harper’s first at-bat, a lineout to third base. Guillen complained to umpires that Harper had applied pine tar above the label of his bat, the limit for how high the sticky substance can be spread.

In his next at-bat, Harper, who finished 0 for 4, used a new bat. But Guillen did not like something about how Harper walked to the plate. Guillen began yelling at Harper from the dugout, even grabbing a bat and shaking it in the direction of Harper and the Nationals’ dugout. Nationals Manager Davey Johnson started yelling back at him.

“I was just telling [Harper] how cute he was,” Guillen said. “Something happened there the inning before and I didn’t like it and I was talking to the umpire about it.”

Said Johnson: “Ozzie had complained that the pine tar was too high up on Harper’s bat. So we changed it. Then he was still chirping about. It got on the umpire’s nerves. It got on my nerves. He was trying to intimidate my player, I guess. That’s not going to bother our player. He does what he has to do.”

Harper, as he did when Cole Hamels admitted to hitting him on purpose earlier this season, remained above the verbal fray. He did not specify what Guillen was saying to him – “he was just yelling,” Harper said. Mostly, he just complimented Guillen.

“He battles for his team, and that’s the type of manager Ozzie is,” Harper said. “He’s a great manager to play for. He’s going to battle for you, no matter what. That’s a manager you want to play for.”

Baseball’s rules prohibit pine tar from being spread above the label. The goo creates more friction and spin when the bat meets the ball, which allows the ball to travel further. The most famous incident involving the rule came when George Brett – Harper’s professed favorite player – was temporarily robbed of a home run.

“It’s such a fine line,” Johnson said. “They put the pine tar, it’s only supposed to be at the top of the label. Some guys, it might be over half an inch or something. There’s still a foot of the barrel to hit it with. If you hit it on the pine tar, it’s going to shatter everything. The replace the ball all the time, anyways. What’s the big deal?”

Guillen, in his first year with the Marlins, is known for his unapologetically controversial persona and explicit ranting. “Ozzie yells a lot,” one Nationals player said. “You don’t even pay attention.”

The incident seems like it ought to pass, but with volatile, veteran right-hander Carlos Zambrano starting for the Marlins on Monday night, that may not be a smart bet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)

Greg, please don't lump the typical Soxtalk poster with the Maniac. Pretty much all of us essentially ignore the guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)

1.) Ozzie's fault, plus KW, and the players as well.

2.) I disagree on that. We couldn't bunt under Ozzie and still can't bunt. What other poor fundamentals are you talking about? AJ still can't throw guys out. I guess we are hitting the cutoff man better. Kudos to Robin if that's his doing.

3.) My stance has always been it's on the players. Rios and Dunn have had bounceback years and Beckham has still been average at best offensively; supurb defensively. It's on those players, not Oz. Peavy as well; he still has the same pitching coach. Players are the ones who perform; not the managers.

4.) I don't really care about the Marlins' situation. I do know Bell has sucked. Shut out nine times? If that happened here, it'd be all on Walker by our rabid fans.

5.) Ozzie opened his mouth again. I have never minded Ozzie's ramblings; others hate it. We agree to disagree. As far as Castro, I personally don't approve of the bastard. Ozzie was being Ozzie He got burned this time. He has explained over and over what he meant.

1) Yes, Ozzie's fault.

2) They still can't bunt? I wouldn't go that far.

3) You think it's just "a bounceback year?" They are responding better to Ventura. They clearly didn't like that loudmouth a**hat Ozzie.

4) But you do care. If they were 7.5 games up, you'd say "see, he is a good manager."

5) Yeah, he's a f***ing moron.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:13 AM)
1) Yes, Ozzie's fault.

2) They still can't bunt? I wouldn't go that far.

3) You think it's just "a bounceback year?" They are responding better to Ventura. They clearly didn't like that loudmouth a**hat Ozzie.

4) But you do care. If they were 7.5 games up, you'd say "see, he is a good manager."

5) Yeah, he's a f***ing moron.

Gee, thanx for your well-thought-out arguments.

"f***ing moron" "loudmouth asshat"

We get it; you hate Ozzie; I love Ozzie.

Nobody wins.

Next round?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
Gee, thanx for your well-thought-out arguments.

"f***ing moron" "loudmouth asshat"

We get it; you hate Ozzie; I love Ozzie.

Nobody wins.

Next round?

First press conference at Wrigley.

I'm surprised you haven't allied yourself on the side of Bryce Harper. I gave you a good quote from him to defend Ozzie, right in ur wheelhouse.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm surprised you haven't allied yourself on the side of Bryce Harper. I gave you a good quote from him to defend Ozzie, right in ur wheelhouse.

You must type like greg to really get through to him

Edited by soxmaniac!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:20 AM)

I guess there's a chance Ozzie will try to bury KW, Jerry and/or Coop at the presser, but that's kind of old news.

He might blast the fans.

Whatever he does, it's gonna be Ozzie being Ozzie in front of the cameras. Chances are Sox fans on here will be outraged and I will be laughing. That's my guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:45 AM)
I guess there's a chance Ozzie will try to bury KW, Jerry and/or Coop at the presser, but that's kind of old news.

He might blast the fans.

Whatever he does, it's gonna be Ozzie being Ozzie in front of the cameras. Chances are Sox fans on here will be outraged and I will be laughing. That's my guess.

You're forgetting the bottom line.

His employer's reaction...and attendance in Miami. Both are downward trending.

He'll eventually get a 3rd job in baseball, although I'm not 100% convinced that it will happen. But he's either going to have to be a tv analyst (until he gets fired) or a bench/3rd base coach before it will happen again.

Actually, with the internet and proliferation of cable and satellite content out there, I could see some hybrid of a family-driven reality show (like the Osbournes) spliced with Howard Stern and Tosh.o. Although I do think a reality show would be much less interesting if he lost his managerial position...and, of course, no franchise wants to grant total access 24-7 to its inner workings.

If that happened, you'd have the Boston Red Sox dysfuntion. Ooops.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Who cares. Give it a week that half of the team will be playing in other towns.

Who cares about next week. I was talking about this week when greg predicted the Marlins whole season would turn around at Wrigley.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Ozzie Guillen calls Bryce Harper ‘unprofessional’ after pine tar spat

By Adam Kilgore

(J Pat Carter - Associated Press) Bryce Harper has done his level best to avoid controversy during his rookie season with the Nationals, but cyclonic Marlins Manager Ozzie Guillen dragged him into one Sunday afternoon during the Nationals’ 4-0 victory over Miami.

Guillen charged Harper with using too much pine tar on his bat, spewed a torrent of profanity at Harper during his at-bat in the fourth inning and afterward called Harper’s actions “unprofessional.” Guillen did not specify what caused his ire, but said it had “something” to do with how Harper pointed his bat at him before his second at-bat.

“First time, it’s going to stay between us,” Guillen said. “I could have said a lot of [stuff] about this kid. I’ve been praising this kid like everyday. The last three times they asked me about him, the only thing I said was he’s a great player. What he did [today] was unprofessional. I’m not going to tell you guys what he did because I’m not going to be talking about it on ESPN, Baseball Tonight, what happened again. I’ll just leave it like that. I’ll talk to his manager in a little while.”

The incident began after Harper’s first at-bat, a lineout to third base. Guillen complained to umpires that Harper had applied pine tar above the label of his bat, the limit for how high the sticky substance can be spread.

In his next at-bat, Harper, who finished 0 for 4, used a new bat. But Guillen did not like something about how Harper walked to the plate. Guillen began yelling at Harper from the dugout, even grabbing a bat and shaking it in the direction of Harper and the Nationals’ dugout. Nationals Manager Davey Johnson started yelling back at him.

“I was just telling [Harper] how cute he was,” Guillen said. “Something happened there the inning before and I didn’t like it and I was talking to the umpire about it.”

Said Johnson: “Ozzie had complained that the pine tar was too high up on Harper’s bat. So we changed it. Then he was still chirping about. It got on the umpire’s nerves. It got on my nerves. He was trying to intimidate my player, I guess. That’s not going to bother our player. He does what he has to do.”

Harper, as he did when Cole Hamels admitted to hitting him on purpose earlier this season, remained above the verbal fray. He did not specify what Guillen was saying to him – “he was just yelling,” Harper said. Mostly, he just complimented Guillen.

“He battles for his team, and that’s the type of manager Ozzie is,” Harper said. “He’s a great manager to play for. He’s going to battle for you, no matter what. That’s a manager you want to play for.”

Baseball’s rules prohibit pine tar from being spread above the label. The goo creates more friction and spin when the bat meets the ball, which allows the ball to travel further. The most famous incident involving the rule came when George Brett – Harper’s professed favorite player – was temporarily robbed of a home run.

“It’s such a fine line,” Johnson said. “They put the pine tar, it’s only supposed to be at the top of the label. Some guys, it might be over half an inch or something. There’s still a foot of the barrel to hit it with. If you hit it on the pine tar, it’s going to shatter everything. The replace the ball all the time, anyways. What’s the big deal?”

Guillen, in his first year with the Marlins, is known for his unapologetically controversial persona and explicit ranting. “Ozzie yells a lot,” one Nationals player said. “You don’t even pay attention.”

The incident seems like it ought to pass, but with volatile, veteran right-hander Carlos Zambrano starting for the Marlins on Monday night, that may not be a smart bet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports

Well if anyone in MLB is an expert in "unprofessional"...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Mully and Hanley were talking this morning about how Oney went off on a twitter rant about why they went to Miami. I dont follow him, but I can only imagine it is a good story

Depends on your definition of good. If by "good" you mean the same played out "respect" card that the Guillen family has been using for decades now, then yes, it was good.