The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Depends on your definition of good. If by "good" you mean the same played out "respect" card that the Guillen family has been using for decades now, then yes, it was good.

I mean a good story, as in some made up bulls*** that is entertaining to read

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol @ "not aj pierzynski"s convo. with oney : @Oneyguillen remember when I did your girlfriend in the dugout...are you still mad about that? ‪, oney: lol no. and then he told oney to not forget to vote for peavy and he said f* that

oh and according to oney "in baseball. first half doesnt mean much. july aug sept thats those tough days. not a sprint. marathon" idiot, i guess the marlins enjoy being 9 games out or whatever they are :)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
2.) I disagree on that. We couldn't bunt under Ozzie and still can't bunt. What other poor fundamentals are you talking about? AJ still can't throw guys out. I guess we are hitting the cutoff man better. Kudos to Robin if that's his doing.

This article says otherwise.

2012: 31 foul bunts

2011: 81 foul bunts

* 2012: 24-for-66 (second-fewest steals allowed)

* 2011: 18-for-90 (third-most)

And this one we know very well. Pierzynski is throwing out 31 percent of basestealers, which is his best success rate since his first full season back in 2001. Tyler Flowers has been an even bigger surprise, gunning down eight of 15. And with both catchers, a fair portion of the successful steals have been directly attributed to the pitcher.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
lol @ "not aj pierzynski"s convo. with oney : @Oneyguillen remember when I did your girlfriend in the dugout...are you still mad about that? ‪, oney: lol no. and then he told oney to not forget to vote for peavy and he said f* that

oh and according to oney "in baseball. first half doesnt mean much. july aug sept thats those tough days. not a sprint. marathon" idiot, i guess the marlins enjoy being 9 games out or whatever they are :)

Did Ozzie ever have a team perform better in the second half?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)

Great article, but it does mention at least twice this just might be a simple matter of players having good years.

Case in point his last line: "Of course, the hands-off game strategy works best when guys on the field deliver."

I like a few things Robin has brought in, these things mentioned in the article as well.

1.) Not conceding the stolen base. I did grow tired of that.

2.) I misspoke about AJ I guess. I do like seeing our catchers throw guys out once in a while. I don't really see how Robin gets credit for AJ's arm, though.

3.) I do like the absence of the Sunday lineup for the most part. Even on Sunday after the all star break, Oz's style would have been to play a Sunday lineup and yes, we prolly, would have lost to KC in the rubber game Sunday with the Sunday lineup.

I do like Robin. I do see some improvements in those areas. I do think he makes the same "mistakes" Ozzie mistakes in terms of the bullpen. When the pitchers fail, it's easy to blame the manager, though. Like Ozzie, he leaves Peavy in until his arm falls off, but that's on Peavy. I'm thinking he makes it difficult to remove himself from games.

Kudos to Robin. My guess is if he wants to manage, he can manage a long time. I never hated Robin. I like him as a player and he's doing a helluva job managing. I just love Ozzie as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Great article, but it does mention at least twice this just might be a simple matter of players having good years.

Case in point his last line: "Of course, the hands-off game strategy works best when guys on the field deliver."

I like a few things Robin has brought in, these things mentioned in the article as well.

2.) I misspoke about AJ I guess. I do like seeing our catchers throw guys out once in a while. I don't really see how Robin gets credit for AJ's arm, though.

3.) I do like the absence of the Sunday lineup for the most part. Even on Sunday after the all star break, Oz's style would have been to play a Sunday lineup and yes, we prolly, would have lost to KC in the rubber game Sunday with the Sunday lineup.

I do like Robin. I do see some improvements in those areas. I do think he makes the same "mistakes" Ozzie mistakes in terms of the bullpen. When the pitchers fail, it's easy to blame the manager, though. Like Ozzie, he leaves Peavy in until his arm falls off, but that's on Peavy. I'm thinking he makes it difficult to remove himself from games.

Kudos to Robin. My guess is if he wants to manage, he can manage a long time. I never hated Robin. I like him as a player and he's doing a helluva job managing. I just love Ozzie as well.

It's not AJ's arm.

They've made a concerted effort with short steps and quick pitches (numerous drills), holding on runners, pick-off moves (like we saw with Septimo to turn that Royals' game around Friday)...every aspect of cutting down the time from the start of the wind-up until the ball hits the pitcher's glove.

20-25% of it is AJ, the rest has been on the pitchers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)

It's not AJ's arm.

They've made a concerted effort with short steps and quick pitches (numerous drills), holding on runners, pick-off moves (like we saw with Septimo to turn that Royals' game around Friday)...every aspect of cutting down the time from the start of the wind-up until the ball hits the pitcher's glove.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
It's not AJ's arm.

Prep and philosophy is much improved now. Even the players have stated it several times.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
Prep and philosophy is much improved now. Even the players have stated it several times.

Yes but players always say "the attitude is so much better this year."

"things are so much better this year."

I guarantee if you ask, "Oh, so what needed changing last year?" Then they won't come up with anything.

It's on the players.

It's not like Ozzie is some buffoon like Bevington. He's a WS winning manager. His time ran out in Chicagoo, but he's still a good manager.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

I guarantee if you ask, "Oh, so what needed changing last year?" Then they won't come up with anything.

It's on the players.

It's not like Ozzie is some buffoon like Bevington. He's a WS winning manager. His time ran out in Chicagoo, but he's still a good manager.

C'mon Greg, the players have regularly implied, if not said directly, that the clubhouse was dysfunctional last year. I don't put that all on Ozz, but he, along with KW, Coop, Walk and possibly others, were certainly part of it, regardless of who you side with.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)

It's on the players.

Because then Ozzie will mouth off against them.

Also, because they have more class than Oney.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Because then Ozzie will mouth off against them.

Also, because they have more class than Oney.

Which is exactly what's happening in Boston.

They're not mouthing off directly, but they're killing Valentine with a thousand paper cuts, anonymously.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)

It's on the players.

Actually alot of players have come out and said what was bad last year and how distracting it was. They've particularly pointed to more emphasis on fundamentals which has statistical evidence backing up those claims.

ANd you need to stop saying he's a WS winning manager, many men have won WS as managers and that doesnt mean they are above average, in fact some are quite below average.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
I apologze to the rest of this site for actually asking this question but greg when does it stop being coincidence that these big name players are flopping under Ozzie and thriving under different leadership?

u guys do realize that your never going to change gregs opinion on ozzie right? never lol theres no point trying to get him to realize these things

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
u guys do realize that your never going to change gregs opinion on ozzie right? never lol theres no point trying to get him to realize these things

It has nothing to do with changing the love of Ozzie, people have loved players and managers that have left yet seen that the team was MUCH better off with a superior person in their stead. He cannot even see that.

Greg is basically akin to PSU fans thinking Paterno never did anything wrong. They have their heads so buried in the sand its ridiculous.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
I apologze to the rest of this site for actually asking this question but greg when does it stop being coincidence that these big name players are flopping under Ozzie and thriving under different leadership?

I had a long post praising Robin for various things. I'm sure what he's doing is working quite well, but I'm just saying Ozzie was and is an excellent manager. Not an average one, but excellent. Robin looks like the real deal and like I said in the other post figures to manage a long long time if he wants to. Sox have had some good luck with managers lately IMO. Robin appears to have IT, whatever IT is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
It has nothing to do with changing the love of Ozzie, people have loved players and managers that have left yet seen that the team was MUCH better off with a superior person in their stead. He cannot even see that.

Greg is basically akin to PSU fans thinking Paterno never did anything wrong. They have their heads so buried in the sand its ridiculous.

I said before that Ozzie's time probably had run out in Chicago. I just wish KW had gotten the boot with him. That didn't happen, hence there was a victor in this struggle of massive egos: Kenny Williams by knockout over Ozzie Guillen.