The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
If Ozzie does get canned after one year I see him going into broadcasting before taking another managerial job. I also don't think anyone would hire him based on whats happened the last few years to teams under his watch...

Um...he can't speak english and he swears all the time. Perhaps he'd be there for the post season but no network can give him a full season of exposure.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Marlins franchise is screwed. That roster sucks now and they don't have a lot of depth in minors outside of Yelich and Fernandez. With the Nationals making the leap this year, it's hard to picture how the Marlins can climb the ladder in the NL East (especially if the rumors of slashing their payroll are true).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
This will assuredly be Guillen's final managerial position unless he turns things around swiftly and sticks with the Marlins for a few years of productivity.

I dunno about that. I bet the Marlins keep him through his entire contract and then they let him go if they haven't made the playoffs. If he gets let go I could see a team like the Royals or Orioles taking him or even the White Sox taking him back if Robin decides he's not wanting to be a manager for 20 years. Robin has assured himself of staying with the Sox as long as he wants from his performance this year. He'll never say anything stupid to get himself fired and he's proven he knows what he's doing. But if he decides to quit in 3-4 years, I could see the Sox turning to Ozzie again, like the Yankees did with Billy Martin. Maybe the Cubs.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
I'd join the riot and make the effigy of the GM that hired him.

He's really been pretty calm since the Castro thing. Even his visit to Chicago didn't result in any fireworks quotes really. I think he's learned his lesson pretty much over the Castro thing. Seems to have humbled him or shut him up. His language is pretty salty for this P/C age with all the f-bombs, but that doesn't seem to bother baseball execs too much.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
I dunno about that. I bet the Marlins keep him through his entire contract and then they let him go if they haven't made the playoffs. If he gets let go I could see a team like the Royals or Orioles taking him or even the White Sox taking him back if Robin decides he's not wanting to be a manager for 20 years. Robin has assured himself of staying with the Sox as long as he wants from his performance this year. He'll never say anything stupid to get himself fired and he's proven he knows what he's doing. But if he decides to quit in 3-4 years, I could see the Sox turning to Ozzie again, like the Yankees did with Billy Martin. Maybe the Cubs.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Damn, greg. I'm not defending you anymore. Ozzie is terrible and I'll switch over to the Cubs before I root for an Ozzie Guillen-managed team again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Damn, greg. I'm not defending you anymore. Ozzie is terrible and I'll switch over to the Cubs before I root for an Ozzie Guillen-managed team again.

Just a little conversation about where he'll end up next. I think he'll complete his four year deal with Miami. Loria does seem a bit insane though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Just a little conversation about where he'll end up next. I think he'll complete his four year deal with Miami. Loria does seem a bit insane though.

It won't happen Greg, it just won't.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)

Loria does have something of a history of discarding managers, although none of them had Ozzie type money to be rid of. They dumped Girardi after he won the manager of the year award right?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
How long you think it'll be before they give him the axe in Miami?

If they aren't competing and Ozzie/Oney act up,midway through next year. That's not even an indictment of him. See below.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Loria does have something of a history of discarding managers, although none of them had Ozzie type money to be rid of. They dumped Girardi after he won the manager of the year award right?

Yup/

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)

I figured he'd be too cheap to can Ozzie. Loria hangs around the locker room so much I'm sure Ozzie already is realizing how much better he had it in Chicago. Here, Jerry rarely shows up to voice his displeasure from what I can ascertain and KW also stayed away from Ozz. In Miami, those team execs seem to talk with him a lot judging from the Franchise. Good lesson again in the grass not always being greener somewhere else. Loria was pissed in the one clip when Heath Bell blew that game with a three run lead. He yelled from his seat, 'Get him out of there.' And Loria's seat is mighty close to Oz's perch in the dugout.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
I figured he'd be too cheap to can Ozzie. Loria hangs around the locker room so much I'm sure Ozzie already is realizing how much better he had it in Chicago. Here, Jerry rarely shows up to voice his displeasure from what I can ascertain and KW also stayed away from Ozz. In Miami, those team execs seem to talk with him a lot judging from the Franchise. Good lesson again in the grass not always being greener somewhere else. Loria was pissed in the one clip when Heath Bell blew that game with a three run lead. He yelled from his seat, 'Get him out of there.' And Loria's seat is mighty close to Oz's perch in the dugout.

The grass may not be greener, but the dollar bills are equally green, and that's the important thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
The grass may not be greener, but the dollar bills are equally green, and that's the important thing.

True. Oz's wife probably reminds him daily she's loving the greenbacks in balmy Miami. He probably has to bring his job home with him a lot more, though. It's always nice to have a job where people don't meddle and don't f*** with you. Ozzie's longevity in Chicago seemed to guarantee that he didn't have to mess at all with higher-ups - GM Kenny or owner Jerry. It seems to me Jerry only got involved when he had to break up the fights w/ Oz and KW and KW hated Oz as much as Oz hated KW so KW stayed away as well. That's pretty nice when you are your own boss as Oz was in Chitown. No longer in Miami. From watching the Franchise Loria and his adopted son president are going to meddle so much Oz soon will have all gray hair.

But he's probably keeping the wife happy with all that cash, so all's probably good in the Oz household.

I wonder if Jeff Loria and the front office in Miami look at the AL standings and see the Sox position atop their division - and mumble "what a huge mistake we've made". The White Sox have thrived without Ozzie and his side show, with what baseball pundits predicted would be a losing team of players.

I honestly think Loria either fires Ozzie or Ozzie quits because he sees what he's gonna have in store for him during his contract... although, I think Ozzie only cares about money, so maybe he'd stick it out for the paycheck...

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
I honestly think Loria either fires Ozzie or Ozzie quits because he sees what he's gonna have in store for him during his contract... although, I think Ozzie only cares about money, so maybe he'd stick it out for the paycheck...

Ozzie will not quit.

i was watching mlb network and they showed how reyes hit a ball down the line that they called foul but it should have been fair and reyes didnt like the call. the host says how ozzie doesnt even come out to argue and they show him , there he is just sitting looking like he doesnt care at all. didnt take long lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
i was watching mlb network and they showed how reyes hit a ball down the line that they called foul but it should have been fair and reyes didnt like the call. the host says how ozzie doesnt even come out to argue and they show him , there he is just sitting looking like he doesnt care at all. didnt take long lol

His salary is guaranteed and his bosses do not care about the quality of the product. I imagine a large % of people in his situation would be pretty apathetic.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)

Does he still check out the "talent" in the stands as much as he does the on-field?

His salary is guaranteed and his bosses do not care about the quality of the product. I imagine a large % of people in his situation would be pretty apathetic.

I would write a long paragraph about how my job confirms that statement, but I'm just not motivated enough to do it right now.