Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Just flipped on the Marlins/Nats game and wow is the Marlins line up awful outside of Reyes right now. Ozzie just looks miserable whenever they've shown him...

i thought the same when they showed it on mlb network, reyes third(no power) and lee fourth(old and no power either), terrible

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
I wonder if greg still thinks Miami is going to get into the playoffs, but I wouldn't put it past him.

I guess I was wrong about the playoffs this year, but I still think Ozzie is a top flight manager. Don't know what will happen in Miami now. I haven't been keeping up with them. Don't know if the owners care or not.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
I guess I was wrong about the playoffs this year, but I still think Ozzie is a top flight manager. Don't know what will happen in Miami now. I haven't been keeping up with them. Don't know if the owners care or not.

You don't know if the owners care? They spent $100 million on Reyes, close to $30M on Bell, close to $60M on Buehrle, and made Ozzie a high paid manager. They're also paying Josh Johnson a lot of money. What more do you want them to do?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
You don't know if the owners care? They spent $100 million on Reyes, close to $30M on Bell, close to $60M on Buehrle, and made Ozzie a high paid manager. They're also paying Josh Johnson a lot of money. What more do you want them to do?

I think they were dedicated to winning this year so they could really cash out. The players signed have backloaded contracts. Its going to be hard for Loria to get a premium price when he has 17k a night next season and the payroll only going higher with the talent level only going lower.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
I think they were dedicated to winning this year so they could really cash out. The players signed have backloaded contracts. Its going to be hard for Loria to get a premium price when he has 17k a night next season and the payroll only going higher with the talent level only going lower.

I can't really tell if you agree with me or not. My point is that the owners signed 3 of the best FA's out there + a "great" manager this winter. What else were they supposed to do?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
I can't really tell if you agree with me or not. My point is that the owners signed 3 of the best FA's out there + a "great" manager this winter. What else were they supposed to do?

Not sell off the good players on a regular basis so that the fan base doesn't trust the ownership group?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)

Yeah but they dumped a lot of salary already. I did read a comical column on the Miami Herald Website today. The president David somebody (Samson?) assessed blame. First to himself (he's the owner's adopted son, he's obviously staying), then to the next 2 top execs, the GM or whomever. They asked the owner's son if the manager or any coaches would be let go and he said that it was up to Loria who was "very upset." The column did mention that Loria deserves a lot of blame cause he personally wanted Heath Bell badly and that was very stupid. I'm assuming he didn't gain all that weight right after signing, but maybe he did. What an overweight dog Heath Bell turned out to be.

Like I said in an earlier thread, Ozzie had it great in Chicago compared to Miami even considering his hatred of Kenny and vice versa. How great is it for a manager to not have to have meetings with the owner or GM? And Oz had no meetings with those guys in Chicago or maybe one a year. He and Kenny couldn't be in the same room and Jerry doesn't butt in much from what the media tells us. Now Ozzie has meddlers. Too bad. He's a big boy and makes a lot more money in Miami but it's all nickles and dimes. I'd rather have the noninterference from management and make a few bucks less. Those of you who have rare jobs where you are left alone by the higher-ups know what I mean.

I'm thinking Ozzie has been tempted to kick his dog a lot more in Miami than Chicago and it has nothing to do with the loss/win record.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
Not sell off the good players on a regular basis so that the fan base doesn't trust the ownership group?

He traded Ramirez and Choate. He's kept Reyes, Buehrle, Bell, and Johnson. I wouldn't say he's sold "good players" off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
You lost me when you said Hanley Ramirez wasn't a good player.

You lost me when you thought I said Hanley Ramirez wasn't good. Hanley Ramirez is one...singular. You said players...plural. Who are these other good players that Loria and company have sold off?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
You lost me when you thought I said Hanley Ramirez wasn't good. Hanley Ramirez is one...singular. You said players...plural. Who are these other good players that Loria and company have sold off?

Obvious you know nothing about the Marlins history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Obvious you know nothing about the Marlins history.

Are you serious? We're talking about this year's team and what the owners have done this year. I don't care what they did 7 or 8 years ago with Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis, Pudge, etc. This year, they signed 3 big time FA's and held onto Josh Johnson. I wouldn't say that's selling off the good players in 2012.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
Are you serious? We're talking about this year's team and what the owners have done this year. I don't care what they did 7 or 8 years ago with Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis, Pudge, etc. This year, they signed 3 big time FA's and held onto Josh Johnson. I wouldn't say that's selling off the good players in 2012.

Their history is absolutely relevant to their modern team. How can you possibly separate the two?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)

Without another big spending splurge, can you convince me that team has any real shot at being better next year than it was this year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
Without another big spending splurge, can you convince me that team has any real shot at being better next year than it was this year?

I disagree...they can certainly turn things around and compete.

A lot of people not particularly familiar with the White Sox organization would have said the same thing about us coming into this year. Heck, a lot of people that are very familiar with the White Sox organization said that this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
I disagree...they can certainly turn things around and compete.

A lot of people not particularly familiar with the White Sox organization would have said the same thing about us coming into this year. Heck, a lot of people that are very familiar with the White Sox organization said that this year.

They have a ton of talent. They just don't have a manager that can always get the most of it.