The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
Without another big spending splurge, can you convince me that team has any real shot at being better next year than it was this year?

A healthy Giancarlo & a half-competent pitcher in the closer's role would be a big improvement.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
They have a ton of talent. They just don't have a manager that can always get the most of it.

I tend to agree, but seriously, what were peoples' opinions of Dusty Baker when he took the Reds job?

Baseball is a funny game...I am always very hesitant to write anyone off prior to a season beginning.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I tend to agree, but seriously, what were peoples' opinions of Dusty Baker when he took the Reds job?

Baseball is a funny game...I am always very hesitant to write anyone off prior to a season beginning.

I think the biggest difference there is the NL Central vs the NL East. I think part of the reason the finish for the Marlins is so different is the division they are in really tough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
I think the biggest difference there is the NL Central vs the NL East. I think part of the reason the finish for the Marlins is so different is the division they are in really tough.

It's going to be tough for the Marlins to jump back into the top of the NL East. The Nationals look pretty legit for the next few years, and the Braves have a strong core as well. It's unlikely the Phillies will be as bad as they were this year in upcoming years as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)

Again, I tend to agree, but the Reds have been one of the best teams in baseball, not just one of the best teams in the NL Central.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
A healthy Giancarlo & a half-competent pitcher in the closer's role would be a big improvement.

I actually agree with this to a certain extent. Heath Bell single-handedly wrecked the Marlins' first-half.

Also, Ozzie sucks.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
ozzie guillen can actually make a team worse than it actually is with his antics.

Dusty is just an ok manager whose team is on one hell of a hot streak

Ozzie has been as placid as Lake Elizabeth and Marie at 6 a.m. on a to-be-hot summer day since the Castro thing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Buehrle beat Halladay. True story.

Sure he did. Mark Buehrle, arguably one of the top 3 starting pitchers in White Sox history, undoubtedly the BEST in modern Sox history (since the 1970s.).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
MLB Stat of the Day ‏@MLBStatoftheDay

Mark Buehrle has won at least 10 games in every season since 2001, and has 167 victories during that time.

I believe he's only 1 of 2 pitchers to win 10+ games in every season since 2001 along with Sabathia.

Nice to see Ozzie willing to keep his mouth shut after his players move away.

"That's Hanley," Guillen told reporters Thursday. "(If) Hanley hit a home run down by 30 runs, he would pimp it. That's the way he is."

Ramirez, who was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers last month, flashed a hand signal near his eyes after hitting a home run Wednesday against Pittsburgh Pirates ace A.J. Burnett.

Burnett struck out Ramirez in his next at-bat and yelled an expletive at the star infielder.

"It surprised me A.J. didn't drill him," Guillen said. "The way A.J. is, it surprised me he didn't do it."

Guillen acknowledged that Ramirez's behavior is indicative of an overall culture within baseball but stated that he doesn't care for it.

"Somebody hits a home run, they put on a show," Guillen said. "Somebody strikes out, they put on a show. That's the way the game is right now.

"I cannot say (anything) because my players do a stupid show. They're a last-place team. They score one run and they (act) like we score 100."

"I cannot say (anything) because my players do a stupid show. They're a last-place team. They score one run and they (act) like we score 100."

thats awesome. so true. jose reyes wasnt doing too well earlier in the year and now is doing real well and theyre out of it yet he celebrates every little thing he does.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
thats awesome. so true. jose reyes wasnt doing too well earlier in the year and now is doing real well and theyre out of it yet he celebrates every little thing he does.

If he's this great leader, couldn't he get them to stop celebrating? What exactly is his job besides to collect a check on the 15th and 30th and to get some exposure for other paydays?

Every comment he makes, he further proves he's a fraud as a manager.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
If he's this great leader, couldn't he get them to stop celebrating? What exactly is his job besides to collect a check on the 15th and 30th and to get some exposure for other paydays?

Every comment he makes, he further proves he's a fraud as a manager.

i agree, i really think hes changed so much since the sox won the world series. he truly cared about the sox and the game and said how money didnt matter,etc but its been all about fame and money for him(guillens) ever since. that passion is long gone