The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
It is easier to eat that versus all of the other bad player contracts they have.

Remarkably, assuming Zambrano's option doesn't vest, they have only $62 million committed for next year. Reyes, Buehrle, and Bell are the only 3 contracts they have for 2014. Yeah that totals $40 million in not-so-great money, but there's room here to cut salary if that's what they want to do.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Remarkably, assuming Zambrano's option doesn't vest, they have only $62 million committed for next year. Reyes, Buehrle, and Bell are the only 3 contracts they have for 2014. Yeah that totals $40 million in not-so-great money, but there's room here to cut salary if that's what they want to do.

Yeah, and there are cuts they aren't making, such as Mike Stanton hitting his arb years. With the position they are in now, they pretty much have to be a $100 million team. Otherwise they might as well just fold the franchise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Yeah, and there are cuts they aren't making, such as Mike Stanton hitting his arb years. With the position they are in now, they pretty much have to be a $100 million team. Otherwise they might as well just fold the franchise.

Stanton is still pre-arb next year.

@OzzieGuillen: i think u no watch our games if u say iam bad manager is ok but u ever say my team give up

@OzzieGuillen: buster olney u so full a s*** whit u stupid comments about the miami team we still play hard we yes no win games i think u no watch.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
@OzzieGuillen: i think u no watch our games if u say iam bad manager is ok but u ever say my team give up

@OzzieGuillen: buster olney u so full a s*** whit u stupid comments about the miami team we still play hard we yes no win games i think u no watch.

The bad thing is that I wondered for a second if they were real tweets or not.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...thers-on-bubble

2. Marlins

Beginning with the idiotic Fidel Castro comment, this year has been an utter failure for Ozzie Guillen, and the sentiment seems to be that his bosses won't necessarily let the $7.5 million that remains over the next three years tie them to Guillen. The Marlins aren't expected to have an excess of money to spend again on free agents following a disappointing first season at the gate. So a potential managerial change might be the biggest move they make – if they really are willing to swallow the $7.5 mil to go.

The Marlins so-so attendance in their beautiful new Marlins Park (they'll draw just a bit more than two million) is due mostly to the team's poor performance and the mindset of Floridians who won't attend anything without ample reason. But Guillen's ill-advised glowing remarks about the Cuban dictator Castro certainly set a bad tone.

Guillen could still survive, as a change would amount to a quick admission of error. More likely are front-office changes following the team's startlingly bad season.

The team that has made a habit of out-producing its payroll finally underperformed. But the bigger picture issue has been some apparent ongoing front office factions and disconnects.

Larry Beinfest, the president for baseball operations, may well wind up going, as Danny Knobler first reported here weeks ago. Like Guillen, he has a deal for three more years. If Beinfest's time is up, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria will likely turn to longtime top exec Dan Jennings, who also has a deal through 2015 and has been prevented from interviewing for several outside GM jobs.

Rival teams have noted a bit of a split in Miami with Jennings lining up with Loria, and Beinfest and GM Michael Hill appearing to be more aligned with club president David Samson. At times to outsiders, it's looked like they've suffered from the “too many cooks'' syndrome (for instance, Loria and Jennings wanted to go for Prince Fielder after Albert Pujols turned them down, but Samson rejected that idea) .

The organizational higher-ups will gather in New York immediately after the season to sort this all out. It's tough to forecast Marlins moves, as Loria is not predictable. But change seems to be in the air, especially in the front office.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
Hey Greg.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Marlins are considering firing manager Ozzie Guillen after an extremely disappointing first season in Miami.

I thought I read the president was gonna get the ax. Not the son in law but some other guy that Ozzie feuded with. From what I read, Oz was safe and some other guy was the scapegoat for now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
This is Ozzie, circling the drain. I almost wonder if he is trying to get fired at this point, or he doesn't realize that this owner won't cover for his ass like JR.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7056717.story

Some of you pointed out how crazy Loria was. You guys were right. Ozzie was better off with his situation in Chicago. At least in Chicago he never had to talk to Jerry, who is hands off and he never had to talk to Kenny. It's not a good situation when you have to regularly speak to a clueless owner.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
Looks like we are going to see the third Marlins fire sale this winter... No wonder Ozzie wants to get fired. It should be pretty soon he starts complaining about an extension or something.

We should do everything we can to get Buehrle back. I wouldn't give them much for him, but they should take two minor leaguers for Mark. Mark can replace Peavy.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/24/3017...a-comments.html

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
Is Loria the worst owner in sports now that Al Davis has passed away?

He probably was before Al Davis passed away.

He basically exploits MLB's revenue sharing to make side-money. Loria's awful.

But that still does not mean Ozzie is a good manager or that 2012 wasn't at all his fault. He can say "we all failed" as much as he wants, but this is two years in a row now where he's gotten a team that was going "all in" and fell on his face.

I don't think that's a coincidence.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 06:01 AM)
He probably was before Al Davis passed away.

He basically exploits MLB's revenue sharing to make side-money. Loria's awful.

But that still does not mean Ozzie is a good manager or that 2012 wasn't at all his fault. He can say "we all failed" as much as he wants, but this is two years in a row now where he's gotten a team that was going "all in" and fell on his face.

I don't think that's a coincidence.

Maybe not a coincidence, but there are a lot of bad teams out there. The managers of those teams lose every year, like Ned Yost. I don't see how realistic people thought Miami was 'all in' just adding a stud like Mark and a stiff like Heath Bell.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Maybe not a coincidence, but there are a lot of bad teams out there. The managers of those teams lose every year, like Ned Yost. I don't see how realistic people thought Miami was 'all in' just adding a stud like Mark and a stiff like Heath Bell.

And Reyes. And John Buck. And Zambrano.

To go along with Stanton, Josh Johnson, Hanley Ramirez, Anibel Sanchez, Omar Infante, Ryan Webb, Nolasco, Logan Morrison, etc.

Those are not some bum players, those were good players before Ozzie got there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)

Ned Yost isnt a measuring stick for Ozzie. Their situations are totally different, Ozzie was handed a team thought to be competitive, not world beaters, but not as bad as they have been. And they failed.

Ned Yost manages a financially handcuffed team that is trying to grow a team, not buy a team.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)
Ned Yost isnt a measuring stick for Ozzie. Their situations are totally different, Ozzie was handed a team thought to be competitive, not world beaters, but not as bad as they have been. And they failed.

Ned Yost manages a financially handcuffed team that is trying to grow a team, not buy a team.

That's true, but Miami also abandoned ship pretty quickly in dumping all those players at the first sign of adversity. Now doesn't Miami have one of the lowest payrolls heading into next year even with Mark and Heath Bell and Reyes around?