The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Maybe not a coincidence, but there are a lot of bad teams out there. The managers of those teams lose every year, like Ned Yost. I don't see how realistic people thought Miami was 'all in' just adding a stud like Mark and a stiff like Heath Bell.

So on paper you didnt think Miami was the favorite for their division?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
So on paper you didnt think Miami was the favorite for their division?

I should probably just stick talking about Ozzie rather than the Marlins since I am no expert on that team.

I did think Miami would win the division, yes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
I should probably just stick talking about Ozzie rather than the Marlins since I am no expert on that team.

I did think Miami would win the division, yes.

No, you were directly in line with a TON of experts in the media. Which is why they were considered "all in" or "going for it." Reyes, Bell and Buehrle was an impressive FA haul added to a nice core.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
That's true, but Miami also abandoned ship pretty quickly in dumping all those players at the first sign of adversity. Now doesn't Miami have one of the lowest payrolls heading into next year even with Mark and Heath Bell and Reyes around?

They began this year with the 8th highest payroll

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/nam...a/miami-marlins

I dont know what they are projected next season but I cannot imagine they have dropped that dramatically

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
They began this year with the 8th highest payroll

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/nam...a/miami-marlins

I dont know what they are projected next season but I cannot imagine they have dropped that dramatically

They had the highest payroll in Marlin's franchise history. Just like the 2011 White Sox had the highest payroll in White Sox franchise history.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
MB is the only active pitcher in baseball with 12 consecutive years of at least 10 wins (13), 30 starts (31) and 200 innings (202 2/3).

People don't want to hear it, but this was a bad year to have lost Mark. We'd have won the division if he was still on the team. That pure and simple sucks. A few dollars costs us a division.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:46 AM)
People don't want to hear it, but this was a bad year to have lost Mark. We'd have won the division if he was still on the team. That pure and simple sucks. A few dollars costs us a division.

It was not "a few dollars". It was a stupid contract. It was about paying a soft tossing lefty $18 and $19 million at ages 35 and 36.

If Buehrle was able to drive in runners from scoring position during the past two weeks, maybe.

The offense shrivels up and dies over the last month and you think that MB is the difference maker here. Its like being presented with 2+2 and you answer October.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
The offense shrivels up and dies over the last month and you think that MB is the difference maker here. Its like being presented with 2+2 and you answer October.

If we sign MB instead of Danks, MB pitches the entire season which Danks misses most of. That adds up to a few more wins in my book. Regardless of the collapse, we have a better lead then 3 games before it all went downhill and are competing for the division in this last series if not still ahead.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
If we sign MB instead of Danks, MB pitches the entire season which Danks misses most of. That adds up to a few more wins in my book. Regardless of the collapse, we have a better lead then 3 games before it all went downhill and are competing for the division in this last series if not still ahead.

Didn't Quintana replace Danks in the rotation, I don't think MB does much better than what he gave us for most of the season.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Didn't Quintana replace Danks in the rotation, I don't think MB does much better than what he gave us for most of the season.

Yeah, but then we roll with Peavy-Buehrle-Sale-Quintana-Floyd most of the year. Also, we get some nice prospects for Danks.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Yeah, but then we roll with Peavy-Buehrle-Sale-Quintana-Floyd most of the year. Also, we get some nice prospects for Danks.

Quintana might have never gotten a chance then. Maybe when Humber started sucking, but that would have been a lot later in the year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
It was not "a few dollars". It was a stupid contract. It was about paying a soft tossing lefty $18 and $19 million at ages 35 and 36.

This soft tossing lefty will pitch forever (if he wants to), just like Moyer. Nobody addresses me saying he earns double salary for being a coach on the field as well. He sets a great example, working fast, moving the ball around. Many of our pitchers got torched in September.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Quintana might have never gotten a chance then. Maybe when Humber started sucking, but that would have been a lot later in the year.

Isn't that who he ultimately replaced? Because Q was up before Danks went down for good.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
This soft tossing lefty will pitch forever (if he wants to), just like Moyer. Nobody addresses me saying he earns double salary for being a coach on the field as well. He sets a great example, working fast, moving the ball around. Many of our pitchers got torched in September.

You're right, Buehrle's always been a great second half pitcher. Oh wait, that's completely false.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Isn't that who he ultimately replaced? Because Q was up before Danks went down for good.

So many pitchers got hurt that I don't know what happened anymore. But I think Q would have ended up replacing Floyd and not Humber (since Floyd was hurt).

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
You're right, Buehrle's always been a great second half pitcher. Oh wait, that's completely false.

I try to use facts as well.

Fact: Our pitchers couldn't go more than five innings for the final couple weeks of the season. Fact: Buehrle could have done so. Fact: Buehrle could have mentored our young pitchers who desperately needed help late. The fact is the Sox couldn't afford to pay another guy cause of all that money going to Rios and Dunn and Peavy. Too bad. Cause I will always believe we are in the playoffs if mark is on our team! I think the much hyped Coop did a s***ty job the last month mentoring this staff. s***ty. And bad use of pitchers as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)

The above two posts are ridiculous and make it seem like getting rid of Danks was an obvious move.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
I try to use facts as well.

Fact: Our pitchers couldn't go more than five innings for the final couple weeks of the season. Fact: Buehrle could have done so. Fact: Buehrle could have mentored our young pitchers who desperately needed help late. The fact is the Sox couldn't afford to pay another guy cause of all that money going to Rios and Dunn and Peavy. Too bad. Cause I will always believe we are in the playoffs if mark is on our team! I think the much hyped Coop did a s***ty job the last month mentoring this staff. s***ty. And bad use of pitchers as well.

Fact: Our pitchers couldn't go more than five innings for the final couple weeks of the season. Fact: Buehrle could have done so.

that is actually your opinion greg

Fact: Buehrle could have mentored our young pitchers who desperately needed help late.

also, your opinion. Would mentoring them have changed the end result? doubtful

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)

The only thing that could be considered a fact is that first sentence. Even that is not entirely true. The rest is all an opinion.