The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
I try to use facts as well.

Fact: Our pitchers couldn't go more than five innings for the final couple weeks of the season. Fact: Buehrle could have done so. Fact: Buehrle could have mentored our young pitchers who desperately needed help late. The fact is the Sox couldn't afford to pay another guy cause of all that money going to Rios and Dunn and Peavy. Too bad. Cause I will always believe we are in the playoffs if mark is on our team! I think the much hyped Coop did a s***ty job the last month mentoring this staff. s***ty. And bad use of pitchers as well.

no, here's a fact;

September is Buehrle's worst month throughout his career. It's the month with his highest ERA and WHIP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...t=p#month_extra

How was he going to help this team win by posting a 4.22 ERA when we can't score runs?

It's not like the guy was lights out.

Maybe if we got Crede, Rowand, and Dye back too we could 2005 our way back to the playoffs?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
no, here's a fact;

September is Buehrle's worst month throughout his career. It's the month with his highest ERA and WHIP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...t=p#month_extra

How was he going to help this team win by posting a 4.22 ERA when we can't score runs?

It's not like the guy was lights out.

Maybe if we got Crede, Rowand, and Dye back too we could 2005 our way back to the playoffs?

Mark is a big-game pitcher. Sox staff desperately needed somebody just like him. How can you guys disagree? Peavy mighta been that guy. He sucked when needed vs. the Tigers. KW paid for that blunder IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Mark is a big-game pitcher. Sox staff desperately needed somebody just like him. How can you guys disagree? Peavy mighta been that guy. He sucked when needed vs. the Tigers. KW paid for that blunder IMO.

Sure, if that big game was before the ASB and not against a great hitting team like the Yankees or Red Sox. Buehrle was a very good pitcher during his Sox career, but he definitely wasn't one of the top 2 or 3 in the AL like you seem to make him out to be. With that said, he's sure getting paid in the years to come as if he's one of the top 5-10 pitchers in the NL (and that is definitely not true).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)

We disagree because there is nothing that ever proved that Buehrle was a big game pitcher. For every good game in a big spot that he pitched, there was another where he got peppered by high Obp teams and he was out after going 6 innings 6 runs.

We all watched his career, Greg. We like Buehrle but your assertion that sticking him in this rotation would have saved this season is simply wrong.

Fact: Our pitching staff had plenty of injuries and Q ends up coming up either way.

MB over Danks was the right move. Danks has not done much to show that he deserves this contract. But if Mark wanted Marlins money from the Sox, then ofcourse you have to let him go. But if he gives us a hometown discount with a contract in the same ballpark as Danks, I'd take Mark.

Regardless of these last two statements, if Danks stays healthy or we have MB instead I think this is going down to the final game of the season at the very least.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
Fact: Our pitching staff had plenty of injuries and Q ends up coming up either way.

MB over Danks was the right move. Danks has not done much to show that he deserves this contract. But if Mark wanted Marlins money from the Sox, then ofcourse you have to let him go. But if he gives us a hometown discount with a contract in the same ballpark as Danks, I'd take Mark.

Regardless of these last two statements, if Danks stays healthy or we have MB instead I think this is going down to the final game of the season at the very least.

I'm not too sure about that. Quintana was specifically called up because of the day that it was in the rotation, and he was the only minor league starter who was on the 40 man roster, who also had his turn coming up in the rotation. With different circumstances, it is pretty easy to imagine a scenario that keeps him in the minors all year long. Remember the kid was at High A ball, and wasn't anywhere near a "top prospect" for the Sox. I could probably name 10 guys who could have gotten the call up before he did if the circumstances of his call up weren't so extraordinary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
I'm not too sure about that. Quintana was specifically called up because of the day that it was in the rotation, and he was the only minor league starter who was on the 40 man roster, who also had his turn coming up in the rotation. With different circumstances, it is pretty easy to imagine a scenario that keeps him in the minors all year long. Remember the kid was at High A ball, and wasn't anywhere near a "top prospect" for the Sox. I could probably name 10 guys who could have gotten the call up before he did if the circumstances of his call up weren't so extraordinary.

If he was in high A ball, wouldn't there be guys in AA and AAA with their turn coming up in the rotation? Why did Q get the call before them?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
Lucas Harrell's had a more impressive season than Buehrle has.

I have to admit, this one has been a huge surprise to me. I honestly didn't even bat an eye when he went over to the Houston org, I didn't think he was a major league pitcher. He just didn't look like he had the stuff. Obviously I was way wrong on him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
I have to admit, this one has been a huge surprise to me. I honestly didn't even bat an eye when he went over to the Houston org, I didn't think he was a major league pitcher. He just didn't look like he had the stuff. Obviously I was way wrong on him.

Kenny should be fired just for all the pitchers he's lost while the Sox GM. Gio baby!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)

His stuff got way better in Houston. He's throwing 93-94 regularly with good sink.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 01:12 AM)
Kenny should be fired just for all the pitchers he's lost while the Sox GM. Gio baby!

Did he misplace Gio? One minute Gio was there, the next he was wearing a Phillies uniform, then KW found him again, then Gio was wearing an A's uniform.

I hate when you lose pitchers. Its almost as bad as losing your keys

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 02:05 AM)
His stuff got way better in Houston. He's throwing 93-94 regularly with good sink.

I wonder how that happened. The guy wasn't getting above 90 with the Sox, and he really only had 2 pitches he could throw for strikes, one of which was a straight fastball, the other a telegraphed breaking ball. Does Houston have a Don Cooper-esque pitching coach?