The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
I wonder how that happened. The guy wasn't getting above 90 with the Sox, and he really only had 2 pitches he could throw for strikes, one of which was a straight fastball, the other a telegraphed breaking ball. Does Houston have a Don Cooper-esque pitching coach?

Some guys respond to different coaching. Nick Masset comes to mind as someone else whose stuff got way better after leaving the Sox.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I have to admit, this one has been a huge surprise to me. I honestly didn't even bat an eye when he went over to the Houston org, I didn't think he was a major league pitcher. He just didn't look like he had the stuff. Obviously I was way wrong on him.

not necessarily. one season does not a career make

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
The Marlins think so highly of Ozzie Guillen's managerial ability, they are willing to pay him for 3 years to do nothing.

OZZIE IS MAKING MONEY BABY AWESOME!! SO AWESOME!!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
OZZIE IS MAKING MONEY BABY AWESOME!! SO AWESOME!!

You guys need to please erase your disdain for Ozzeroo a moment to hear me out.

Olney's scoop proves Oz is out of a job. Ozzie is without a team (KC should hire him TOMORROW but that's a different topic).

However I want to make a point about the whole issue.

This whole thing is a microcosm of society. What Ozzie did a few weeks ago was anger a rich man, a man who has a bunch of yes men around him. This rich man (Loria) was called out (sort of) by Ozzie. Ozzie said something like, 'Why do they have so many managers that have been fired?' Or something like 'Why has he had so many managers?'

When the rich f***, Loria, read those statements, that was it for Ozzie. This tells us a lot about Loria. By god, NOBODY in that man's life talks down to him; nobody in Loria's life can get away with calling him out publicly. Case closed.

Ozzie said something about Loria and that is that. Oz was gone on that day. It just obviously INFURIATED Loria.

Now the question is: Is Oz smart as a Fox? Did he do it to get 3 years salary for no work? Realizing that Loria is a buffoon and working for him is something you do not want to do? Or did Ozzie get caught being Ozzie again? If you hear the interview it is totally obvious Loria is overreacting. But Loria is acting like the spoiled rich boy he is. Wow! An underling like Ozzie called him out; bye bye. This is a lesson for all of us in real life. You call out your 'boss' and you are GONE!

The difference here, Mr. Loria, is Ozzie is also rich. And he's a former spoiled ballplayer. Mr. Loria, if you want a yes man, butt kisser then you better hire somebody who needs the job. Ozzie never said anything bad about Jerry cause Jerry was like his second dad.

The joke is on Ozzie and Loria both. Cause Loria is now the new Steinbrenner. He goes through another manager?? Wow. Or is Ozzie laughing all the way to the bank? Did Ozzie do this for the quick cash? I'd think probably not; he probably likes going to the ballpark every day ... but going to the park and having to talk to Loria and his yes-men including his adopted son??? I dunno, folks. Ozzie may be smarter than we all think....

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)

Olney's scoop proves Oz is out of a job. Ozzie is without a team (KC should hire him TOMORROW but that's a different topic).

This whole thing is a microcosm of society. What Ozzie did a few weeks ago was anger a rich man, a man who has a bunch of yes men around him. This rich man (Loria) was called out (sort of) by Ozzie. Ozzie said something like, 'Why do they have so many managers that have been fired?' Or something like 'Why has he had so many managers?'

When the rich f***, Loria, read those statements, that was it for Ozzie. This tells us a lot about Loria. By god, NOBODY in that man's life talks down to him; nobody in Loria's life can get away with calling him out publicly. Case closed.

Ozzie said something about Loria and that is that. Oz was gone on that day. It just obviously INFURIATED Loria.

Now the question is: Is Oz smart as a Fox? Did he do it to get 3 years salary for no work? Realizing that Loria is a buffoon and working for him is something you do not want to do? Or did Ozzie get caught being Ozzie again? If you hear the interview it is totally obvious Loria is overreacting. But Loria is acting like the spoiled rich boy he is. Wow! An underling like Ozzie called him out; bye bye. This is a lesson for all of us in real life. You call out your 'boss' and you are GONE!

The difference here, Mr. Loria, is Ozzie is also rich. And he's a former spoiled ballplayer. Mr. Loria, if you want a yes man, butt kisser then you better hire somebody who needs the job. Ozzie never said anything bad about Jerry cause Jerry was like his second dad.

The joke is on Ozzie and Loria both. Cause Loria is now the new Steinbrenner. He goes through another manager?? Wow. Or is Ozzie laughing all the way to the bank? Did Ozzie do this for the quick cash? I'd think probably not; he probably likes going to the ballpark every day ... but going to the park and having to talk to Loria and his yes-men including his adopted son??? I dunno, folks. Ozzie may be smarter than we all think....

Oh god, I would love for KC to hire Ozzie. That means we'd finally be able to beat them.

You really need to erase your love for Ozzie and realize this is not about who makes more money, this is not a microcosm of our society, and this is a case of a failed manager who additionally called out his boss on top of failing as a manager, and will probably get fired.

Your attempt to get thoughtful on the topic here is pretty funny though, in your attempt to rationalize Ozzies failings yet again. I dont know who said it, but they were right when it comes to you, "Ozzie never fails, people only fail Ozzie"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
A buddy of mine actually had a very good idea for how to get rid of Ozzie, without firing him. Fire Joey Cora and his staff members.

Actually, that seems to be what may happen. The Marlins think Ozzie runs an unprofessional clubhouse talking about his money, having his adult sons roam free and always swearing. How did they not know this when they hired him? Ozzie did say he would quit if they did anything to his staff and Joey's status may test whether Ozzie really is a man of his word.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/b...some-wit/nSTg4/

You obviously have something against people with money. I didn't realize it was a crime to to have money. I also didn't realize that only stupid buffoons have money. I'm not sure what you do for a living but "telling off your boss" will get you fired in almost every profession.

The fact is I am one of Ozzie's supporters. I think he is a good manager. However, his mouth and antics got him pushed out of here (after the most successful run of any manager in Sox history) and he seemed to escalate it in Miami and didn't give himself a chance to succeed. It's not Loria's fault that Ozzie acted the way he did. Loria should have known about it and not hired him if he didn't like it however.

LOL, I still cant believe Miami traded us actual players for Ozzie. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I imagine KW and Jerry doing a Chill-town type skit when they found this out

KW: Ring

JR: Yes

Kw: Jerry, you cant believe what just happened

JR: What

KW: Remember that moron manager we were about to fire?

KW: Well I just talked to Miami and they want him

JR: Seriously?

KW: Yeah, and they said they'd give us two actual players for him

JR: Wow

Kw: Yup

KW/JR: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
LOL, I still cant believe Miami traded us actual players for Ozzie. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, but Marty says the Sox secretly want Ozzie back as manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)

Let alone a guy with a pretty decent arm in Marinez.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Yeah, but Marty says the Sox secretly want Ozzie back as manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truthfully that was one of the funnier fake insider reports I've ever seen, mostly because there were some people that believed him for a little while.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
You really need to erase your love for Ozzie and realize this is not about who makes more money, this is not a microcosm of our society, and this is a case of a failed manager who additionally called out his boss on top of failing as a manager, and will probably get fired.

Your attempt to get thoughtful on the topic here is pretty funny though, in your attempt to rationalize Ozzies failings yet again. I dont know who said it, but they were right when it comes to you, "Ozzie never fails, people only fail Ozzie"

At least you read my post. Thank you.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
You obviously have something against people with money. I didn't realize it was a crime to to have money. I also didn't realize that only stupid buffoons have money. I'm not sure what you do for a living but "telling off your boss" will get you fired in almost every profession.

The fact is I am one of Ozzie's supporters. I think he is a good manager. However, his mouth and antics got him pushed out of here (after the most successful run of any manager in Sox history) and he seemed to escalate it in Miami and didn't give himself a chance to succeed. It's not Loria's fault that Ozzie acted the way he did. Loria should have known about it and not hired him if he didn't like it however.

PTATC, I realize some people who have money are not buffoons. My brother is a rich tax lawyer and he is not a dick. But a lot of people like Loria are out of control, rich mama's boys. Joe Girardi told him to shut up and he wanted him fired after the game. He waited til after the season.

I read that article and my god. If they want to fire Ozzie for those reasons. That is so laughable. If you reversed Miami's record this year, all that stuff that was printed would be considered AWESOME. They'd all be Ozzie being Ozzie. Reverse the record and Ozzie is satan. that is the first article I've ever read that indicated the manager was hexing the team and part of some sort of satanic religion. Geez.

That would be criminal if the Marlins fire Cora just to pray Ozzie quits. But that is truly possible.

But that article. Ozzie unprofessional? What is this, the world Chess association? This is baseball, baby. Tobacco chewing, cussing, BASEBALL! That article made me laugh. My god.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)

PTATC, I realize some people who have money are not buffoons. My brother is a rich tax lawyer and he is not a dick. But a lot of people like Loria are out of control, rich mama's boys. Joe Girardi told him to shut up and he wanted him fired after the game. He waited til after the season.

I read that article and my god. If they want to fire Ozzie for those reasons. That is so laughable. If you reversed Miami's record this year, all that stuff that was printed would be considered AWESOME. They'd all be Ozzie being Ozzie. Reverse the record and Ozzie is satan. that is the first article I've ever read that indicated the manager was hexing the team and part of some sort of satanic religion. Geez.

That would be criminal if the Marlins fire Cora just to pray Ozzie quits. But that is truly possible.

But that article. Ozzie unprofessional? What is this, the world Chess association? This is baseball, baby. Tobacco chewing, cussing, BASEBALL! That article made me laugh. My god.

What are you talking about? Isnt Jeff Loria a self made multi millionaire through his art buying program?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)

Yes, those traits the Marlins brass are now calling "unprofessional" are the same traits they apparently admired when they hired him. Its pretty comical that appears the reason to can him, and I'm no Ozzie fan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Yes, those traits the Marlins brass are now calling "unprofessional" are the same traits they apparently admired when they hired him. Its pretty comical that appears the reason to can him, and I'm no Ozzie fan.

Thats not really the reason, the reason is the team sucked and he was the leader of the culture that contributed to the suck. An unfocused unprofessional manager who loses usually gets fired.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)

Moron manager? One with two WS rings? I don't think he's a moron.

Just curious what you think of Robin. I know, Robin gets a free pass because he was a rookie manager even though he's seen about 9 million baseball games as a great player. I like Robin, but if Ozzie engineered this epic collapse, many of you would have mocked him and/or demanded his firing. Please don't deny that if this collapse woulda been run by Ozzie you'd all have wanted him on a platter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)

Just curious what you think of Robin. I know, Robin gets a free pass because he was a rookie manager even though he's seen about 9 million baseball games as a great player. I like Robin, but if Ozzie engineered this epic collapse, many of you would have mocked him and/or demanded his firing. Please don't deny that if this collapse woulda been run by Ozzie you'd all have wanted him on a platter.

The team collapsed in the 2nd half of 2006 under Ozzie and nobody was asking for his head on a platter then. It's when the team repeatedly underperforms that it becomes a problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)

I like how Ozzie is now a 2 time World Series champion manager because waving his arm in a circular motion really did wonders for the 03 Marlins.