2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:47 AM)
Maybe 5 years ago. Last year's Ozzie would have done nothing.

The one thing about last year's team was that they did actually bounce back from some pretty wicked losses....every time I really thought we would go into the s***ter because of a nasty loss, they came out and got the victory.

Maybe it was because Ozzie just went up to his room and got drunk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
Last night's attendance was 13,732. As far as I can tell, that's the smallest crowd since early 2005. So either the Sox are gonna win it all again this year, or they have officially lost all momentum they gained from the WS title.

Most sports marketing experts consider five years to the standard window when the benefits of a World Series title pretty much are expended.

With multiple wins, like the Red Sox or Cardinals, over the last decade....it's a bit different in terms of sustainability.

We've pretty much seen that same trend....late 2006 and 2007 killed all the momentum, we got SOME back in the 2008 but the last 3 years destroyed what was left of the fans' so-called "goodwill."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Most sports marketing experts consider five years to the standard window when the benefits of a World Series title pretty much are expended.

With multiple wins, like the Red Sox or Cardinals, over the last decade....it's a bit different in terms of sustainability.

We've pretty much seen that same trend....late 2006 and 2007 killed all the momentum, we got SOME back in the 2008 but the last 3 years destroyed what was left of the fans' so-called "goodwill."

Caufield is right. The 2005 WS is an eternity ago.

Amazing.

Kids that were not yet born are now in second grade.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

Amazing.

No they aren't. My first was born a week and a half after we won it all. She is in Kindergarten.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

Amazing.

My second grader was alive and well for the World Series even celebrated a couple of birthdays prior to the Sox winning it all.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
oh yeah? wow... you're really smart. you somehow knew a kid with a terrible major league track record would suddenly become useful. why aren't YOU running this team?

Wow dude, chill out.

I also believed in him as well. He had a very solid showing in the last part of 2010, so he proved that he could hit, he just needed plate appearances.

I was 10 for the first Bulls championship and remember Game 1 vs. LAL vividly.

Unfortunately absolutely nothing in the banks regarding '85 Bears, as much as I wish I could report otherwise. I do remember Payton and McMahon but not in a trophy-holding context unfortunately.

Fortunately the White Sox haven't done enough for me to need much more than early-to-mid 90s and '05.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Safe at No. 2: Brent Morel remains the Sox's No. 2 hitter despite his .103 batting average. Ventura acknowledged Morel's ability to lay down sacrifice bunts is a factor.

"I still think he's going to be able to be more of a contact hitter, hit line drives," Ventura said. "I believe in him doing that, so he's going to stay there. He just needs to be a little more aggressive within the zone and things are going to turn around for him."

Extra innings: Joe Torre, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of baseball operations, overturned an official scoring call Friday that takes away a triple credited to Sox center fielder Alejandro De Aza. After a review, Torre ruled that an error be charged to Tigers left fielder Delmon Young and that two runs charged to pitcher Daniel Schlereth now are unearned.

Tribune

The Chicago White Sox drew only 11,267 fans Tuesday night, one night after a paid crowd of 13,732 showed up to U.S. Cellular Field on a half-price night while the Bulls were playing at the United Center at the same time.

Tuesday's small crowd, however, didn't agitate pitcher John Danks, who was wearing a Blackhawks cap during a post-game interview following a 3-2 loss to Baltimore.

"The Blackhawks are playing (in the NHL playoffs)," Danks said. "I don’t blame people. It’s cold outside and the Blackhawks are in the playoffs. ... Just a victim of the circumstances here."

The game time temperature at U.S. Cellular Field was 51 degrees but dipped into the 40s as the night progressed.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 03:41 AM)
We'll see what the attendance is like for when they Red Sawks are in town.

It's not going to be good.

If the Sox win there will be an increase in attendance next year, if they don't there will be front office changes.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 06:33 AM)
It's not going to be good.

If the Sox win there will be an increase in attendance next year, if they don't there will be front office changes.

Even if Hahn became the GM tomorrow, it wouldn't matter one scintilla in terms of attendance.

And who is your preferred candidate for this position, by the way?

Great...attendance talk.

Stop caring about attendance. The team barely does at this point. They cut $25 million from the payroll of a profitable team last year anticipating an attendance drop. Rebuild and then get to a point where games are won.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
Great...attendance talk.

Stop caring about attendance. The team barely does at this point. They cut $25 million from the payroll of a profitable team last year anticipating an attendance drop. Rebuild and then get to a point where games are won.

Yeah, I don't get the attendance talk either. As you said, they already cut payroll, and with a sorta-rebuild going on, I don't think they are overly concerned about the attendance right now. We as fans should care even less. More asses in the seats are not going to make the team play better.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
oh yeah? wow... you're really smart. you somehow knew a kid with a terrible major league track record would suddenly become useful. why aren't YOU running this team?

I am sorry

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
Unfortunately absolutely nothing in the banks regarding '85 Bears, as much as I wish I could report otherwise. I do remember Payton and McMahon but not in a trophy-holding context unfortunately.

I wasn't born for the '85 Bears, but the overexposure that team enjoyed for 25+ years sometimes made me feel like I was standing on the sidelines for every snap of that season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
No they aren't. My first was born a week and a half after we won it all. She is in Kindergarten.

That seems way late. I turned 7 in second grade and all 3 of my kids were 7 in second grade.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
That seems way late. I turned 7 in second grade and all 3 of my kids were 7 in second grade.

The cutoff for school is August 1 around here. She was born Nov 4. She started K at 5, and turned 6 two months in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
The cutoff for school is August 1 around here. She was born Nov 4. She started K at 5, and turned 6 two months in.

Yea, I thought about that after I posted it. Here the cutoff is Sept 1 and she would've missed that too.

My middle daughter is the same way since her b-day is in December.

you -> :stick

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Even if Hahn became the GM tomorrow, it wouldn't matter one scintilla in terms of attendance.

Of course not, but that isn't the point. If this team is not very good it's because of Kenny Williams decisions. A fresh start is needed.

And who is your preferred candidate for this position, by the way?

I don't know.

So give it a rest already, everyone here knows how much you hate KW and you don't even have a suggestion for a replacement. It's been stated time and time again that it looks like he will have more than just this season to see if he can turn things around, so stop beating a dead horse.

Trivia Q: In 111 years of being the the A.L., how many seasons have the Sox finished dead last in their respective division?

Seven................

Meanwhile... the Cubs have done it

thirteen................

times.