2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox starter John Danks expounding on why this year's team is better than 2011

Danks: "I hate to say it, but there were times, especially later in the season, where we were just kind of counting the outs"

Danks: "It was kind of like, 'All right, let's just get it over with.'" Danks says 2012 Sox are tighter and have never-say-die attitude

Scot Gregor via twitter.

Thanks for nothing guys!

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
White Sox starter John Danks expounding on why this year's team is better than 2011

Danks: "I hate to say it, but there were times, especially later in the season, where we were just kind of counting the outs"

Danks: "It was kind of like, 'All right, let's just get it over with.'" Danks says 2012 Sox are tighter and have never-say-die attitude

Scot Gregor via twitter.

Thanks for nothing guys!

Indicative of a manger that quit on a team so glad that asshat is gone.

21. Chicago White Sox (6-5; Previous: 25) – Sox pitchers allowing so many home runs tightfisted management actually kind of happy fans throw some back.

22. Seattle Mariners (7-6; Previous: 26) – King Felix finally curious enough to ask, "Um, what exactly am I the king of again?"

[ MLB Full Count: Watch live look-ins and highlights for free all season long ]

23. Oakland Athletics (6-7; Previous: 21) – Little-known fact: A's moved to San Jose two years ago, MLB and Giants yet to notice.

24. Cincinnati Reds (4-8; Previous: 13) – Report says Albert Pujols almost a Red. True, too, if by "almost" meant "flew over Ohio on way to L.A."

25. Houston Astros (4-8; Previous: 30) – Stephen Strasburg gives up two runs in six innings against Astros, assumes he must have been tipping his pitches. No, that actually happened.

26. Kansas City Royals (3-9; Previous: 20) – American Leaguers pessimistic for All-Star game, seeing as home team never wins in K.C.

27. Minnesota Twins (4-8; Previous: 22) – "Liriano" is Spanish for "my slider's almost there."

yahoo.com/sports

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2480450.story

Manto's approach with Beckham and Morel, very little or no video.

So, he doesn't like to use video, and he puts minimal value on OBP. Almost makes me wish Greg Walker was still the hitting coach.

Edited by maxjusttyped

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
So, he doesn't like to use video, and he puts minimal value on OBP. Almost makes me wish Greg Walker was still the hitting coach.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Just...no. This entire post needs to go away.

I have no opinion on this matter as he is now long-gone, but the Braves lead the majors in runs scored at the moment, and some beat reporters are calling the addition of Greg Walker their best move of the offseason.

With Dunn, Rios and AJ hitting beyond what anyone ever expected, Konerko maintaining, DeAza with a lower OBP but continuing to mash...Manto has to get SOME of the credit for that as well.

And you can always fall back on the argument that Morel and Beckham weren't that good, although you're going to get a lot of arguments about Beckham or Viciedo and their talent ceilings.

We'll see how sustainable it is. Usually whenever there's a change in coaches or managers like that, you'll see a brief upswing...but will it be a lasting one?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I have no opinion on this matter as he is now long-gone, but the Braves lead the majors in runs scored at the moment, and some beat reporters are calling the addition of Greg Walker their best move of the offseason.

lol now they are. They started the season as anemic as the Mariners offense.

This is the same stuff we saw from the Sox before. Some hot streaks and some horrible cold streaks.

Everyone benefits if the Cubs stay the course. The Cubs need to evaluate which of these players are going to stick in their current roles for the long haul and you cannot do this at this point in the season. They need to protect their assets - and that includes both veteran players and prospects. You need to know which assets to keep and which can bring you long term value via trade.

Benching Marlon Byrd or Geo Soto after 2 weeks of substandard play would be a mistake. How many extra wins will you get from Reed Johnson, or Joe Mather or Tony Campana, or Steve Clevenger? Realistically, over the course of the season, the answer is none -- and you'll probably lose some. Moreover, none of those players are projected to be starters, so why completely destroy the value of two players just to play future backups? It's a plan that is unlikely to help either in the short term or the long term.

Yes, I'm as frustrated as all of you are, but we all know what we signed up for. The majority of fans, at least on this site, were in favor of rebuilding.

from chicagonow.com

Probably the main reason the White Sox weren't going to bench Rios/Dunn and it's now equally applicable to Viciedo/Beckham/Morel.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
Great, great post.

Glad to see Ozzie and Walker both doing well.

More evidence that you are not a real Sox fan. We pitch a perfect game and you come in here to praise Ozzie and Greg Walker instead of chiming in on today's game and joining the post game thread.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
Great, great post.

They quit on the manager because he quit on them. He started caring about his website, radio, twitter, and everything else more than his own team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
Great, great post.

There are, like, two and a half things that a manager is definitely and solely responsible for. One of them is maintaining buy-in from the team. If the team quits, that is on the manager, 100% and there are no two ways about it. It's his job to make sure they don't quit, and regardless of which one quit first (the team or Ozzie), it's his failure.