2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Why is he working on driving it to RF? Didn't he become productive once he finally stopped doing that last season?

One might say he was "working on making contact to RF" last year as opposed to driving it that way.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Why is he working on driving it to RF? Didn't he become productive once he finally stopped doing that last season?

He became productive once September hit and he realized he wouldn't be sent down. He is quoted as saying all of last year he was just worrying about making contact (hence the defensive swing), and was not trying to drive anything so he wouldn't get sent down to AAA. Once he got to September he loosened up and swung freely, and blasted out like 7 HR or whatever that month. It appears he is entering the same cycle this season, except he is striking out a lot more.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
He became productive once September hit and he realized he wouldn't be sent down. He is quoted as saying all of last year he was just worrying about making contact (hence the defensive swing), and was not trying to drive anything so he wouldn't get sent down to AAA. Once he got to September he loosened up and swung freely, and blasted out like 7 HR or whatever that month. It appears he is entering the same cycle this season, except he is striking out a lot more.

If he is striking out a lot more, I would venture to guess that the defensive swings he takes are in 2 strike counts and that he is taking more chances early in the count to try and drive the ball, and like a young, semi-talented hitter, he is going to miss those. Learning how to hit at the MLB level sometimes takes a while.

RS/RA

1. Rangers

2. Cardinals

3. Yankees/Braves

5. White Sox

Dodgers are 13-4 with only a 15 run differential, so clearly playing above their statistical results so far, Pythagorean expectations, etc.

WHITE SOX PITCHING RANKS IN AL

1st WHIP

1st BAA

1st K's

2nd ERA (to Rangers)

Edited by caulfield12

I hadn't see this drill mentioned yet.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04...s-sale-mariners

SEATTLE — Adam Dunn showed his White Sox teammates how to combat the spacious dimensions of Safeco Field on Friday night when he poked an opposite-field double down the left-field line in the first inning.

But Dunn was given a four-year, $56 million contract before the 2011 season to supply the power from the left side the Sox have been desperately seeking for the last two seasons.

Dunn later obliged, ripping a three-run homer over the center-field fence in the second and a solo shot in the eighth that enabled the Sox to surge to a 7-3 victory over the Mariners.

This marked the first time Dunn drove in at least one run in three consecutive games since May 18-20, 2011. It also was Dunn's first multihomer game since Sept. 24, 2010, against the Braves, while he was playing for the Nationals.

Dunn's productive night gave the Sox's struggling offense a much-welcomed lift as they opened a six-game trip that will take them to pitcher-friendly venues at Safeco and the Oakland Coliseum.

He also gave hitting coach Jeff Manto credit for a new drill that prevented him from lunging. Dunn said the drill involved swinging with a medicine ball between his legs.

"I thought it was kind of crazy doing it, but when I started doing it, I kind of felt like I was getting my balance back," Dunn said.

Besides the sweet homer, Adam was also able to extend his now major league record by striking out in each of his teams' first 16 games. At least he's doing what he was hired to do, hit about .250 hit some homers, walk a lot, drive in some runs and set franchise records for strikeouts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
The White Sox' +18 run differential is 3rd in the AL and 5th in the Majors.

Another cool tidbit: we've given up the second least amount of runs in the AL so far. Only 4 behind the Rangers. We would be first if it wasn't for that Orioles game Santiago blew.

FWIW, I saw a lot of Buehrle in Milone last night. Worked all corners of the plate, up and down, and wasn't really predictable in which pitch he would throw in a certain situation. Topped out around 88/89mph and had a great change and a serviceable curve. He is a guy who is going to give us fits for a long time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
FWIW, I saw a lot of Buehrle in Milone last night. Worked all corners of the plate, up and down, and wasn't really predictable in which pitch he would throw in a certain situation. Topped out around 88/89mph and had a great change and a serviceable curve. He is a guy who is going to give us fits for a long time.

Agree wholeheartedly. Usually, losing to another rookie soft-tossing lefty would bother the hell out of me, but Milone was pretty masterful last night. I don't think any club would have gotten much on him last night.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)

I thought the exact same thing while watching.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 04:58 AM)
The Sox have scored in ten different innings when Danks has pitched. He's allowed a run in the opponent's next half inning 6 times.

Thanks for the stat. I confirms what I had thought, but I actually thougfht he had done it more times